Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
RobJor

Default PAS - Comments?

Not upset about this(very few without train of some sort) but thought it could have been accepted.

Not much on the forum so something to look at.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 08-06-2020 at 11:39 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
KevinM

This image definitely fits in the "artsy" category, which means that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some might say it lacks a well-defined subject, but to me, the subject is the track layout. It also has a nice sky going for it. But unfortunately, it's like something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on what. I want something more. Some rolling stock closer to the camera would have made it more interesting. I might also avoid cutting off that prominent switch stand in the foreground.....or crop it out entirely.

I keep coming back to "something is missing."

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 07-18-2020 at 02:17 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:50 AM   #3
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
This image definitely fits in the "artsy" category, which means that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some might say it lacks a well-defined subject, but to me, the subject is the track layout. It also has a nice sky going for it. But unfortunately, it's like something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on what. I want something more. Some rolling stock closer to the camera would have made it more interesting. I might also avoid cutting off that prominent switch stand in the foreground.....or crop it out entirely.

I keep coming back to "something is missing."
Switch stand is almost in, lack of attention to detail, probably shifted a little at last. I have another more of tele without switch stand but got a sneaky feeling that will not help. I think it has positive elements, roundhouse, track layout, industrial setting, sky. I am not making a big push that this should be in but there should be room for some of this type. Not necessarily knocking others photos because certainly some of mine fit the bill but a great number of photos are a train(often nothing special) and trees or a train and a signal, train and ballast????

Break the mold once in a while?

Bob

Bob
Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Needs a solid point of focus. and cropped on the right side. Most of a blurry switch stand and a tree isn't doing many favors.

Has been quite slow on the forums lately. Maybe things will pick up when I upload my bi-monthly mediocre and non-campaigned photo..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-20-2020 at 09:18 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #5
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Needs a solid point of focus. and cropped on the right side. Most of a blurry switch stand and a tree isn't doing many favors.

Has been quite slow on the forums lately. Maybe things will pick up when I upload my bi-monthly mediocre and non-campaigned photo..

Loyd L.
Lot less photos also, I now look sometimes, when there was 150 forget it. Hopefully people are getting out more and enjoying their summer(like looking around for a comet getting swarmed by mosquito.)
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Lot less photos also, I now look sometimes, when there was 150 forget it. Hopefully people are getting out more and enjoying their summer(like looking around for a comet getting swarmed by mosquito.)
I have been shooting the crap out of it myself.

looks pretty awesome at 600mm.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Lots of uninteresting sky above the clouds. Also needed cropping on the right side up to closer to the white sign. Better framing needed, really, out in the field