Old 05-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #26
KevinM

Ever notice how virtually everything this photographer posts goes straight to To24, and typically within a few hours?

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 735737
Photograph © Dave Schauer

He is quietly one of the most prolific linkers here.... He kicks KB's butt down the road.

Unfortunately, folks like this are basically telling the rest of us: "Excuse me, ya'll need to get out of the way, because I belong at the front."

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #27
bigbassloyd

It's got that sweet gangsta lean that makes drone photos THE BEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #28
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Ever notice how virtually everything this photographer posts goes straight to To24, and typically within a few hours?

Image © Dave Schauer

He is quietly one of the most prolific linkers here.... He kicks KB's butt down the road.

Unfortunately, folks like this are basically telling the rest of us: "Excuse me, ya'll need to get out of the way, because I belong at the front."
I never took notice! I checked his photos and sure enough, he has an impressive running of top shots. Of his last 45 posted shots, only 13 of them were under 10k views (of those 13, all but 1 was in the 5k to 9k range) . Granted his shots are different to look at and a lot of those shots are not your typical wedge but 10k plus views on 32 plus shots?? Things that make you go hummmmm..........
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #29
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Also not in love with the latest SC, in my opinion not even close to the one I mentioned that did not get one, nice sky, nice light, oh yea and there is a train off in the corner.
Well it got the grand prize this week

Loyd L.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #30
bigbassloyd

Quote:

Image © Dave Schauer

He runs a few facebook groups and has a decently large audience on them. Easier then a 3 piece puzzle I guess.

Loyd L.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #31
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
He runs a few facebook groups and has a decently large audience on them. Easier then a 3 piece puzzle I guess.

Loyd L.
He can generate as many views as he likes with his social media linking campaign, and I fully understand that RP's advertisers benefit from those linked views. No issues. I just don't think that a ton of FB views should make it look as if all of his shots are the most popular of the day on THIS site.....and I think it is rude of him and others like him to basically muscle all other RP contributors aside simply because he can.

Linked views should not count toward To24.....at least in my humble opinion.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #32
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I never took notice! I checked his photos and sure enough, he has an impressive running of top shots. Of his last 45 posted shots, only 13 of them were under 10k views (of those 13, all but 1 was in the 5k to 9k range) . Granted his shots are different to look at and a lot of those shots are not your typical wedge but 10k plus views on 32 plus shots?? Things that make you go hummmmm..........
It's a crazy amount of views he gets. Even when something of mine gets to TO24, it's almost always sub 5K views when all is said and done.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #33
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
He can generate as many views as he likes with his social media linking campaign, and I fully understand that RP's advertisers benefit from those linked views. No issues. I just don't think that a ton of FB views should make it look as if all of his shots are the most popular of the day on THIS site.....and I think it is rude of him and others like him to basically muscle all other RP contributors aside simply because he can.

Ditto Kevin. How about it admin? This has been a discussion on here many a times. Make your money but filter the linked shot count out of the To24. Is that possible??
Old 05-13-2020, 01:48 AM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

Image © Dave Schauer

He's very tall.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #35
Decapod401

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
It's a crazy amount of views he gets. Even when something of mine gets to TO24, it's almost always sub 5K views when all is said and done.
Quote:
Ditto Kevin. How about it admin? This has been a discussion on here many a times. Make your money but filter the linked shot count out of the To24. Is that possible??
Deaf ears aren't likely to get better. Between the four of us, we have generated over 19,250,000 views for this site. That should count for something.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #36
Mike Wilson

I never understood nor realized the power of linking/campaigning until one of my railroad photography friends posted my railpictures photo of him on Facebook. It was top shot in less than a day. Thank god for Facebook!

Interestingly a few of mine made it as a "top shot" for what that's worth without any linking over the last week. I wonder why serial linkers think its still necessary after they've garnered a following....
Mike Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #37
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Deaf ears aren't likely to get better. Between the four of us, we have generated over 19,250,000 views for this site. That should count for something.
Doug, I'm honored to be included in the group you mentioned but I feel a bit unworthy with my minuscule 116K views. Granted that every squeaky wheel at some point gets oiled, I'll keeping posting suggestions until someone responds.
This is a great site and I just wished admin would chime in more than they do and at least respond/acknowledge that they are still reading this stuff.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #38
KevinM

Quote:
Granted that every squeaky wheel at some point gets oiled.
Sometimes they don't.....and they seize up!

My RP stuff is here.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #39
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Sometimes they don't.....and they seize up!
ROFL. True True and then your like MAN! wished I'd listened!!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #40
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

So it seems like some of you folks wish there was a bottom shot of the day along with th top shot. I never understood the problem you folks have with linking shots to Facebook. I always thought the goal was for people to actually SEE your work, but maybe I am wrong.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #41
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So it seems like some of you folks wish there was a bottom shot of the day along with th top shot. I never understood the problem you folks have with linking shots to Facebook. I always thought the goal was for people to actually SEE your work, but maybe I am wrong.
I'm honestly more in agreement with you here on this. I enjoy taking these photos with the goal of being able to share them with others. I can see both sides on the linking discussion, but personally I don't even know how they do it. I used to post links on my FB page, but the insights showed I'd only get maybe 80-100 link clicks on a given post, so I have no idea how they get these "thousands of linked views."
Old 05-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #42
Mike Wilson

Quote:
I surely don't disagree with getting your shots noticed Joe. In fact, that's part of the reason why I have a Facebook page for posting my stuff without the hassle of screeners.

Frankly I too can see both sides of the argument although like others have mentioned I have no idea how the views work nor do I really care. I think its a bit ridiculous to lose sleep over it. If people are interested in your work they'll see it especially when you have it spread over multiple forums such as this page, Flickr, Facebook and Instagram. Furthermore, I've seen some of the concerned party's work linked to Facebook presumably without their knowledge so we've probably accidentally taken advantage of linking from time to time.
Mike Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #43
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I'm not looking for a bottom shot of the day for sure. I post my pics here on RP because its a Railroad website and that is the crowd/feed back I want and am trying to reach. I also post here for preserving RR history. I dont use FB or any other social media and what I have seen of FB from family and friends is that there is no way to search for stuff. To me FB is a site about "Me" and then you get people to follow you and take interest in "me". So naturally they see you post a pic, click and say oh cool or whatever... the Pic is not about the subject but more about who took it. When I signed up to RP, I used a handle rather than my real name as I wanted people to appreciate the photo content for what it was and not the person that took it. The other problem with FB or other social links is - I dont believe that crowd (FB example) is actually taking the time to view the rest of the photo's here on RP. With that said the "True" numbers are distorted in terms of actual RP views, which is the crowd I am trying to reach. If I wanted more people to see "My" work, then I would go more public with it and then its not about the subject matter but rather the photographer. So while linking it may be a way for RP to pay the bills, I still would like to see the view feature they disabled, enabled again. Then we would all know what we wanted to know and move on to other subjects to discuss here on the forums.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 05-13-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: addl notes added
Old 05-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #44
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
...we've probably accidentally taken advantage of linking from time to time.
True!
Some of mine are on Pinterest. How many? Don't know. Who posted them there? No idea!
As long as the credit line is intact, I'm OK with it.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 05-13-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #45
Decapod401

Quote:
I think that you totally miss the point here. First, the screening process, in theory, should weed out the "bottom" shots, leaving the rest in a daily photo contest, as it has been characterized multiple times in these forums. Nobody wants to be in a contest that allows certain players to bring their own judges.

WRT Facebook, I don't use it, but as I understand it, one can post photos directly on the site. If that's the case, why do certain people habitually link to RP? The photos are still being seen on Facebook by the same people who are clicking on the links, so no more people are SEEING the work.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #46
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
True!
Some of mine are on Pinterest. How many? Don't know. Who posted them there? No idea!
As long as the credit line is intact, I'm OK with it.
My wife has pointed out several of mine on Pinterest as well. I don't know any of the posters, but my byline is there as well.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #47
RobJor

As an example I just posted a RP ink of a 1971 photo to a local Chicago FB Group. This is 3 years after RP's.

1) It was easier than digging out the original scan and provides a better quality image
2) It is 3 years after the original RP post
3) the link on FB is well sized so only a few will actually click the link
4) If I get a hundred click that would be large, certainly not thousands

The owner used it as the banner which he rotates every few days but that is not a link

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #48
bbrant

Quote:
They screening process is shoddy and inconsistent. I wouldn't hold out hope for a reliable way of filtering the social media campaigns. If anything, I'd like to see a "block" type button to prevent having to see some people's photos implemented.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #49
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
They screening process is shoddy and inconsistent. I wouldn't hold out hope for a reliable way of filtering the social media campaigns. If anything, I'd like to see a "block" type button to prevent having to see some people's photos implemented.
I would really hope RP is one of the few sites left that doesn't have so much drama and BS that there's really people who feel the need to block another photographer......
Old 05-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #50
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I would really hope RP is one of the few sites left that doesn't have so much drama and BS that there's really people who feel the need to block another photographer......
Agreed. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. The BS and drama you describe are just two of the many reasons why I don't have a Facebook account.

My RP stuff is here.