Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Paolo Roffo

Default To keep working or not to keep working?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=942656380

This one got kicked for backlighting. Admittedly the lower portion of the cylinder casting is kind of dark, as are the pilot wheels.

Do I just hang onto this one, or is worth working on a little more?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Mgoldman

You dang well better work it - beautifully captured, Paolo! Not too common to get that perspective along with interesting light.

I don't see a backlighting deficit what so ever. In fact, the lighting couldn't be much better for such an image. The main issue I see on an otherwise superb image is the blown out pilot /cow catcher. If you can fix that, and perhaps bring a little shadow recovery to the cylinder casting and partially visible pilot wheel you should be golden.

This is one of those frustrating images that is better then most but rejected for an underlying perceived fault. This is one of those instances where a rejection supplement such as "desirable with better edit" would be a big plus for RP, especially if it were directed at a new poster. The key to remember however, is to not compare but rather judge your own photos on their own merits.

Good luck - I think you have a winner.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
KevinM

Paolo,

I also think this is worth another go on PS. As Mitch noted, there aren't a whole lot of shots from down there on the floor, and this image is far more interesting than the endless supply of diesel wedges that are accepted every day. I don't see anything wrong with the fact that there are some dark areas. IT'S AN ENGINEHOUSE for Gawd's sake! Those places are full of brights and shadows. The goal is to capture it the way it is....not flood it with artificial light or photoshop the hell out of it. Sheesh! I would work on recovering the highlights in the pilot area and on the floor and I wouldn't get too carried away with the shadows slider dealing with the lower right. Black should look black....not grayish.

The first attempt may not have been perfect, but this is hardly bit-bucket material.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Roffo View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=942656380

This one got kicked for backlighting. Admittedly the lower portion of the cylinder casting is kind of dark, as are the pilot wheels.

Do I just hang onto this one, or is worth working on a little more?
Looks a little blown out as Mitch said, but besides that, I think you should try, the angle looks great.