Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
bbrant

Default Composition/Balance

Hey guys - I'm needing a little help with a shot that got dinged twice for composition/balance.

First reject:
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...93&key=9671663

Second reject:
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...58&key=7088113

I did cool it down a bit and got dinged for the color which is a quick fix. I'm just scratching my head on the composition/balance. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-09-2020, 02:26 AM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

IMO, both are center-weighted with too much emptiness on the sides, especially the left side. Your loco is sliding toward the right side, but still tight to the center. Cutting off the left to maybe the lamp pole will bring it to the center, so I don't know if it will work for the site or not.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
bbrant

Now dinged for blurry. Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be but I don't see it.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...17&key=9650733
Old 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

It's soft or OOF. Also could use some perspective correction.

Personally I think the tight crop isn't the way to go either.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
bbrant

I had a couple that were rejected for blurry that I didn't notice. These are going to the personal file.

I had a couple other shots with my 5D, 24-70 lens that I did see were blurred. I had a decent one of the eastbound P030 passing the station at Point of Rocks that I thought looked good on the camera but when I viewed them on my laptop, the front of the loco was blurred. Not sure if it was a spot on my lens or what. Disappointing but an excuse to make another road trip sometime to get better shots. For now I'll look and see if there were any good ones on my old faithful 7D. LOL
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
KevinM

Just curious what your shutter speed was on the blurry shot? I have found that when you're shooting wide angle, and the train gets in your face, shutter speeds like 1/500th, 1/640th, that we're all used to using, are just not good enough. These days, when I intend to let the train get close, I am boosting the ISO to get 1/1000th or better. I have too many from the past that are just a little bit soft on the nose.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Just curious what your shutter speed was on the blurry shot? I have found that when you're shooting wide angle, and the train gets in your face, shutter speeds like 1/500th, 1/640th, that we're all used to using, are just not good enough. These days, when I intend to let the train get close, I am boosting the ISO to get 1/1000th or better. I have too many from the past that are just a little bit soft on the nose.
I shot this at ISO 100, f8 at 1/250th. I typically shoot somewhere around 1/200 - 1/320. Funny you mention about the softness on the nose because, of the shots I could see the softness/blur, that's where it was. I got one of P030 where the side was fine but the nose, not so much.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
I shot this at ISO 100, f8 at 1/250th. I typically shoot somewhere around 1/200 - 1/320. Funny you mention about the softness on the nose because, of the shots I could see the softness/blur, that's where it was. I got one of P030 where the side was fine but the nose, not so much.
Of course, it's also a function of how fast your train is moving. The trains I shoot typically don't go much more than 20 mph, but even then, if I'm shooting wide for a close-up, I go for as much shutter speed as I can get.

Not sure what camera you are using, but I'd shoot ISO 200 as your standard. On most modern bodies, the difference between 100 and 200 is almost undetectable, but that difference will give you a full stop more latitude to get your shutter speed up. The risk of image issues is far less by going to ISO 200 than it is shooting 1/200th shutter speed. Unless the train was really slow moving, I don't think I would shoot 1/200th. The risk of a soft shot is just too great. I would boost the ISO before I did that. My D750, D4 and Z6 cameras can all handle at least 1600 ISO routinely, on cloudy days, so going to 400 or 640 is a no-brainer. On the D850, the high-res sensor is less forgiving at higher ISOs. On cloudy days, I leave the 850 at home. It is not a great low-light camera, at least in my experience.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
bbrant

I typically shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III and/or 7D. Occasionally I'll take my T4i out just because. I typically shoot at Sandpatch or the NS Pittsburgh line where speeds are (and I'm guessing at this) probably about 40(ish) mph, give or take.

Now that I think about it, I didn't take into consideration the speed difference between what I'm accustom to vs what I had this past weekend until your post. That would explain the softness.

I try to shoot with the lowest ISO possible to prevent noise. I had one rejected for noise about a month ago for noise that was shot at 200. I did little post processing on it other than the standard things like rotating to level the shot and adjust the hightlights a bit. That one had me scratching my head.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
I typically shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III and/or 7D.
I'm not a Canon shooter, but the 5DIII is a pro-level camera and should easily handle ISO 200-400, without any issues with noise, perhaps unless the pictures were underexposed and processed heavily. Even as far back as 12 years ago, 200 ISO is where most photographers were on nice, sunny days. About the only time I shoot 100 ISO is for long-duration exposures. To me, 200 is the standard setting, but I don't really get concerned about image quality until I'm forced to go above 1600. Even then, I have images on RP that were shot at 10,000 ISO. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'll take a little noise over a little blur any day. There are things you can do to fix noise.

My RP stuff is here.