Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
NYSubway18

Default Thoughts on rejected streak shot...

So I've seen a bunch of cool long exposure shots, and thought I'd take a shot at it. Thought I had a good idea down on the Hudson River with Sing Sing Prison in the background along with the colorful streaks a Metro North commuter train would provide. Got the dreaded PEQ. What do you guys think? Is it worth appealing or waiting and re-submitting? How can I improve it? I did several others that looked very different but I thought this had the nicest colors and well lit track.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=690705&key=0
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
nikos1

Im no expert at this, ive shot time exposures (well train ones) only once but from what ive inferred is that you need something interesting in the foreground to frame the streak of light.
The prison is somewhat interesting but too far away and not really overly relevant to the scene. Though i wouldn't want to go any closer honestly or be around there at night at all.
Just my thoughts, im sure more experience opinions will chime in.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
jnohallman

First, I think you're too close to the tracks. I'm not sure where you shot this from, but it almost looks like you're on railroad property, and I know the PEQ has been given in cases where the screeners felt the shot was clearly taken while trespassing and/or doing something foolish. If that's not the case, make a note of it in the comments box with your submission.

That said, even if you were shooting with a zoom, I think the issue is that the streak is too high up in the photo. It's not as appealing as if it filled more of the frame. I think the idea and the location do have some potential . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

It's too in your face, in my opinion. I usually stand a good 5 to 7 feet from the ballast when I'm shooting at night, mainly because it's not extremely common to see people standing beside the tracks at all hours of the night. The police and people in general tend to find it a bit odd as well, plus I don't want the crews to call me in.

I love the streaks myself, although I've learned that it requires a creative subject (other than the streak of the train).

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 283836
Photograph © Chase55671

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 247433
Photograph © Chase55671

If you want to get a bit more creative, you can go for shooting a train headed into a tunnel, or perhaps get some elevation and look down at the train as it's streaking down the rail.

Image © B.A.Harrison
PhotoID: 281648
Photograph © B.A.Harrison

Image © Andy Toms
PhotoID: 274645
Photograph © Andy Toms

Of course, a cable release would be needed for some of the images I listed above. Most cameras are limited to 30" exposures, making it a bit hard to get too creative. I'd definitely invest in a cable release, providing you haven't already purchased one.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
NYSubway18

Thanks guys. As I look at it more I think the prison and river are too dark to be a decent point of interest. Several people have pointed out the streaks being too high which is what you get with an M7. I have a couple others that I think are better after reconsidering these things.

I think there are other problems with the shot so I don't think the PEQ was due to it looking like I was trespassing, but if that was the reason I wish they would add a rejection option like "Questionable Location" to better clue us in. Then if it is legit you could re-submit with explanation, and if it really is PEQ you can just move on and not waste the screeners time re-submitting. These were shot from a trackside park where the fence ends so I should be OK there, but like I said I think there are other reasons for this one to get dinged. I think I have a better one in the queue now.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
NYSubway18

Well, spoke too soon. Guess I was wrong. What do you guys think about this one? What am I missing?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=630061193
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
cblaz

I feel the streaks in the first shot were much better than this new one, but I think the location is a poor choice for a night shot. The prison is too dark and too far away to work. Try this shot at a station with some blurred passengers and you'll have much better results. However, revisit this spot in the daytime when the light is good and you'll have a winner as well.

- Chris
Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I personally like the second shot a bit better, but the only thing that looks odd is the dark foreground.

Keep on trying! Night shots are hard to get in, but they're fun to get. I prefer night photography over day photograpy most of the time.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
JRMDC

Take a blah scene with little compositional interest and add three colored stripes and you end up with a weird looking blah scene with little compositional interest. It's just not a good photograph, sorry. Find a better location is my suggestion.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I'm not a fan of how the lights appear to be neon. I echo what other have said about giving up on this shot and trying something a bit different next time.

Good Luck!
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #11
NYSubway18

Thanks guys. Chris, I'll definitely try and get a day shot with the prison - I think it will be a cool shot if I can get the right light.

Tried the other direction and thought I captured an unique shot with the TZ bridge in the background, a northbound commuter train in the background and a southbound Amtrak lighting up the rails red. Am I just getting the wrong screener, or do I just suck?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=210418618

I've noticed a lot of PEQ's lately on pretty nice shots...ones much nicer than mine. Are the screeners getting tougher or are we getting worse?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Thanks guys. Chris, I'll definitely try and get a day shot with the prison - I think it will be a cool shot if I can get the right light.

Tried the other direction and thought I captured an unique shot with the TZ bridge in the background, a northbound commuter train in the background and a southbound Amtrak lighting up the rails red. Am I just getting the wrong screener, or do I just suck?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=210418618

I've noticed a lot of PEQ's lately on pretty nice shots...ones much nicer than mine. Are the screeners getting tougher or are we getting worse?
I'm not a fan of streak shots, but even in that category this one is sub-par in my view. This is the streak version of in your face. A streak shot needs a bit of subtlety; the streaks should define the scene rather than force the scene.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

way too dark.

From the exif, I'd try f8, and at least 240 seconds instead of 30 seconds / f11

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Am I just getting the wrong screener, or do I just suck?
Yes, you suck.

Seriously, streak shots are hard to get in. As I said the other night, (great party by the way, thanks for the beer!) I like the streaks that go off the side, not the top.

However, the others point out valid objections: too dark, too close, and I think most important, nothing of visual interest such as a signal, crossing gate, a lit up waiting train, etc.

As was said, they are mostly black frames with colorful streaks and no compelling interest in them.

Still like the red rails though...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
NYSubway18

Fair enough. Thanks guys. I'll keep working on it at a new spot. ...or I could keep putting up this shot and asking what I can do to get it in. What do you think?

Glad you could make it Dennis. Hope you got some good sunset shots.