Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #51
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Layering, ya right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
...[omitted]..... This one isn't even questionable.. Definitely legit, but also definitely staged..

Chase
No way, she really works on the RR you can tell.

Now if there was a canoe somewhere in the frame, then I might think that something was a little fishy!
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #52
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Just to clarify, I don't personally think that Kelly was trying to get a lot of views. I do blame him for uploading a sub-par shot, but mostly what I'm mad at is railpictures' user base. Although to be fair, it looks a lot better in the thumbnail...you can't tell it's really out of focus until you open it.
Well said. If you look at the well documented, well discussed history of girls in shots on RP, its hard not to come to the conclusion that the people who view this site aren't horny nerds too afraid to man up and go to an actual porn site.

For people who would like to see a break away from the stereotypical model of a railfan (overweight, socially awkward, oddly dressed, never been kissed) towards a serious subset of photography, trends like this on RP just make you shake your head.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 11-03-2010 at 12:02 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #53
IHapsias
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Well said. If you look at the well documented, well discussed history of girls in shots on RP, its hard not to come to the conclusion that the people who view this site aren't horny nerds too afraid to man up and go to an actual porn site.

For people who would like to see a break away from the stereotypical model of a railfan (overweight, socially awkward, oddly dressed, never been kissed) towards a serious subset of photography, trends like this on RP just make you shake your head.
That's exactly what happens anytime a girl appears on the web here. Gets old seeing that a girl photo will make it to #1 by default usually!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #54
Kelly Lynch
Member
 
Kelly Lynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
Default A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

This shot and a series of others were taken as part of a "proof of concept" for a client, meant to illustrate a particular look and feel. The engine is hot, steam is legit, there is no photo-shopping, and I agree the subject is not nearly as sharp as she should be, and though the engine is tilting, the model is the subject and is more or less level with the horizon (for what minimal horizon you can see.)

The overalls and wrench were entirely a bit of last minute inspiration, as the other shots of the day were like this, some out and around the 765 and others on a CB&Q passenger car -- the latter of which I had intended to upload together, but definitely wanted did not want to be the "view whore" when I'd prefer the work speaks plenty for itself. (It's too bad only my LensBaby shots stirred up any controversy previously and unfortunately not for their aesthetics either!)





Had I planned it, more period appropriate overalls and chore jacket would have been acquired, but what's accuracy when you're having fun. (Steel toes? Who wore steel toes back then?) The reason that the overalls are dirty is because they're what I wear when working on the locomotive.

Women, especially during WWII, certainly worked in mechanical capacities in all shapes and forms and "feminized" typical masculine wears and roles. But again, this particular image isn't meant to be a historical depiction or recreation -- see my other stuff for that.

Even this shot features a woman:


Above any of my usual pretentious pandering to accuracy was the intent to make this "evocative." Ignoring even the fact that this was a project for a client, I include railroads in much of what I do creatively because it's my prerogative to make this stuff sexy/cool/attractive/interesting to the public, because if historical or modern railroading is going to keep any foothold in the imagination it's going to be because people are attracted to this stuff.

Anyway, missed you guys, it's been a while. Thanks Kevin and Janusz.

I'm happy to say at least she has the right gloves...

Kelly Lynch
__________________
"I'm a businessman. I deal in images."

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com

Last edited by Kelly Lynch; 11-03-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Pretentious addition
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #55
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Kelly,

You show a tremendous amount of class in your response.

Others would do well to learn from your example.

(Oh, and nice shots, by the way. Do you ever use that Diana? My first camera was a Diana, when I was all of four-years-old and you got them for a $1 when you bought a tank of gas.)

Charles Freericks
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #56
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking Very Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch View Post
This shot and a series of others were taken as part of a "proof of concept" for a client, meant to illustrate a particular look and feel. The engine is hot, steam is legit, there is no photo-shopping, and I agree the subject is not nearly as sharp as she should be, and though the engine is tilting, the model is the subject and is more or less level with the horizon (for what minimal horizon you can see.) ...[omitted]....Kelly Lynch

I thought it was a well done image (except for the slight blur which I figured was the uploading process) and only the dorky rivet counters here would pick up on the anachronisms.

It was clear what you were doing when "I" saw it and it is essentially a studio or portfolio and/or a study produced for a specific purpose and/or client, rather than a shot of some chick you happened upon.

Now is it bad to post it here because it might get too many views - hell no.

Again, what is the point in putting anything here unless it is to share it with others.

I am glad it was popular, it should be and if that makes you a view whore than so be it.

I have a number of images that are view whore shots and I ain't sorry about that.

Remember this one?

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 328390
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


Oh and BTW, this string got you about 5 more views from me just because I kept going back and forth and following the points made by others.

And I like the backlit lady in the station too.

That takes more planning and execution than doing something like this:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 334622
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


(It took 45 seconds which included stopping the car, getting out, taking off the lens cap and turning the camera on.)

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-03-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #57
Joey Bowman
Senior Member
 
Joey Bowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hudson, NC
Posts: 358
Default

Kelly, thanks for posting these other shots. I feel that all of them are much stronger images than the one that was the center of the original discussion.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #58
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Cool

Here are actual, WW II era, Kodachrome, no Photoshop, Jack Delano shots of women working.

static.flickr.com/1341/5141332787_5c86b63655.jpg

static.flickr.com/1122/5141333083_9ce976603e.jpg

static.flickr.com/1069/5141333189_e99f0fce09.jpg

static.flickr.com/1420/5141333447_3d2834a2c6.jpg

Obviously, aircraft factories are cleaner than steam locomotives. But still I found it interesting how well groomed the aircraft women were with fresh clothing and sporting lipstick and red nail polish. One of them looks ready for a date even while holding a greasy glove checking wiring. Amongst the railroad gals, one of women doing lunch is able to sport red nails.

So I asked the resident expert of such things in this house about it.

My wife's response was "Are you kidding? Those women knew they were going to be photographed and so they made darn sure they looked good."

See? Staging even back in the day!

I also wish to add this:

Kelly has always had some of the best shots on all of RP. He was one of the reasons I signed up here.

The disparaging remarks that have been bandied about here are laughably idiotic in the context of Kelly.

He has always shown great taste, talent and restraint or as Charles said first, class.

Many people here could well learn from his example.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 11-03-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #59
GBR
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
Kelly, thanks for posting these other shots. I feel that all of them are much stronger images than the one that was the center of the original discussion.
I agree. The model only I'm sorry, very beautiful woman.
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #60
trainboysd40
Senior Member
 
trainboysd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta on the CP Laggan Subdivision
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
Kelly, thanks for posting these other shots. I feel that all of them are much stronger images than the one that was the center of the original discussion.
I agree, I found the low angled shot in front of 765 to be almost stunning - Why couldn't you have uploaded that instead?
__________________
got a D5 IIi and now he doesnt afread fo 12800 iSO
Youtube (Model Railway, Vlogs, Tutorials, and prototype)
My Website
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #61
E3429
Senior Member
 
E3429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Its really just a discredit to woman who actually work on the railroad, such as this woman:
Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 342311
Photograph © W. D. Shaw
So by your logic, when they painted women on bombers in WW2, that was a discredit to the women who helped build them, right?

And smooth move attacking someone based on their appearence. Ever heard the saying 'It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt'? That applies to typing messages on the internet too.
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #62
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

What else would you judge a model on, her personality? If she is going to be a model, she can take the criticism. I stand by my words, I personally don't think she is a very pretty, im sorry.

Don't start with "my logic", you know damn well the women who worked did not look like the women they painted on the sides of the planes. Those are two entirely different things.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 11-04-2010 at 08:47 PM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #63
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
you know damn well the women who worked did not look like the women they painted on the sides of the planes.
What, working women aren't allowed to be pretty enough to be pin-ups? Or you think they wore their work clothes all the time? Come on . . . that's a pretty foolish statement.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #64
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Don't start with "my logic", you know damn well the women who worked did not look like the women they painted on the sides of the planes. Those are two entirely different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
What, working women aren't allowed to be pretty enough to be pin-ups? Or you think they wore their work clothes all the time? Come on . . . that's a pretty foolish statement.
Perhaps a handful of those women looked like the pinups on the planes. Perhaps more did, it depends on the standard by which you say their looks were about the same. Most did not.

Most mail railfans don't look like George Clooney.
Most male photographers don't look like George Clooney.
Most male aircraft maintenance workers, of any era, don't look like George Clooney (is he even a standard of male appearance, anymore? Don't ask me!)

Symbols such as the pin-ups on planes are, almost by definition, certainly by intent, exemplars of their group. They are rarely if ever portrayals of average types of a group. They are outliers. Black swans, although I think I am misusing the currerntly hot term in some circles. Most women do not look like supermodels, although a LOT of women look great and almost all women look good to at least one man.

Coburn is not foolish. Jon, you are just plain silly. I understand the PC impulse, I follow it fairly often myself, it is often a good thing not a bad thing, but still what you wrote is silly.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-04-2010 at 08:27 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.