Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
coborn35

Default Help with distortion

This may not be for RP, but I like it personally for my collection. I have never really had to deal with distortion very much, and was wondering if you could give me quick rundown of how to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (594.5 KB, 197 views)
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 01-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
coborn35

Whoops double post.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Indecline

Not much you are going to be able to do with this one unless you have a looser crop. Any software fix will chop the top of the elvevator off. Later versions of Photoshop have tools that can reduce distortion, etc. but you can plan on losing part or parts of the photo to fix it.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

What version of photoshop do you have? In CS3 and later, there is a built-in filter called distort/lens correction that you can do a lot with. If you dont have that, you can do the "free transform" feature and it has perspective correction I think going back to photoshop 7.

As far as the room on the top, that is EASILY fixable, and even within the framework of the digital manipulation policy. EASILY fixed, I think you can figure it out.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

I just tried some work on this, and it's gonna be tough
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
coborn35

I use PSE7. Ha Troy yes it is a good day for that.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
As far as the room on the top, that is EASILY fixable, and even within the framework of the digital manipulation policy. EASILY fixed, I think you can figure it out.
Quote:
I just tried some work on this, and it's gonna be tough
OOPS!

I messed with it a bit. Coborn, you are fortunate that you have a plain blue sky and that the foreground snow is fairly homogenous. I did a perspective adjustment, with a rotation 1.5 degrees CW, and cloned in the missing sky upper right and missing snow lower left.

There is still a lot of barrel distortion that I am not able to fix or I don't yet know the feature that fixes that (I am using PSE.

There may be issues, but I wasn't applying TLC, just a quick and dirty fix, to show what can be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2b.jpg (153.7 KB, 149 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
Not much you are going to be able to do with this one unless you have a looser crop. Any software fix will chop the top of the elvevator off. Later versions of Photoshop have tools that can reduce distortion, etc. but you can plan on losing part or parts of the photo to fix it.
Using perspective control to fix a shot like this, you will lose the sides, but not necessarily the top. You'll have to stretch the image either up or down after the correction to compensate for the "squash" that takes place. If he's got enough on the bottom, he can pull the image downward, saving the top of the elevator. If the image posted above hasn't been cropped, then it'll be tough. But if he has more bottom in the original, he should be able to fix it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

I give up, this is not my best PS skill. Jim is pretty good on this type of stuff.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Here it is constrained so it don't look fat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bornot2b.jpg (496.5 KB, 153 views)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
I give up, this is not my best PS skill. Jim is pretty good on this type of stuff.
Two issues with this shot to begin with. First, it's unlevel. It looks like it was leveled with the silo with the ladder on it. It actually needs to be leveled with the second silo to the right of that, as that is the dead center of the image. Second, there's not enough room on the bottom for the "stretch." In order to save the top from being cut off (which came close due to leveling it), the bottom needs to be stretched or else the whole scene is going to look squashed. The perspective fix forced the image to be narrower, hence the need to pull outward from the sides. That in turn results in having to stretch from either top or bottom. Again, not enough room to do so. If I know I'm going to need to do some perspective control, I usually try to leave a lot of space around the subject in order to compensate for what I'm going to lose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21.JPG (214.4 KB, 131 views)

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
coborn35

I would have, but its a huge elevator. It was once the largest in the world. I believe it was shot at 18mm.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
JRMDC

Oops, I squashed my version, forgot to make sure it was stretched vertically.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I would have, but its a huge elevator. It was once the largest in the world. I believe it was shot at 18mm.
The 17-TSE lens would have helped you right there.