Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
coborn35

Default Upgrade from XS to T1i?

Right now I am in a position to buy a Canon T1i for $550, can probably talk down a little lower. I would be able to find a buyer for my Rebel XS (boy would it be hard to part with my first digital) for hopefully $450. I am planning on upgrading my glass to a 70-200 this winter, but this body upgrade kind of came out of nowhere... good idea? Bad? Would like a little better performance at night and in low light situations.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

A friend of mine has a T1, and there's not a lot of noise difference between it and my XS from the side by side exact settings shooting we have done together.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
WMHeilman

I shoot with a T1i, and I've got no complaints. Does everything I want it to and then some.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
nikos1

I'm very happy with my T1i but I'm not sure if its significantly better than the XS, additional megapixels are good if you always need to crop the shot like me, the buffer size is bigger, 9 RAW vs 4 RAW. I've never really tested the high ISO performance so cant say much about that.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

For that money, you can get a used 40d. I would recommend you go that route. It SMOKES the T1i in every aspect, except it does not do video...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I would be able to find a buyer for my Rebel XS (boy would it be hard to part with my first digital) for hopefully $450.
Since an EX+ quality XS used is $275 at KEH, I have serious doubts about you getting $450. There is an XS on craigslist up here (DC area) with kit lens for $400, one with a Tamron 28-80 for $375.

A sucker is born every minute, I suppose, but don't count on it.

BTW, a used T1i at KEH with charger is $484. LN-. The $550 doesn't sound like a steal either, even if new.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
JRMDC

Gosh, I didn't think I needed to check, but I did anyway. Amazon, XS body sells new $400. A t1i with the kit lens is $595, so that $550 is not impressive either.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
coborn35

Ahh. Interesting, must have missed that. Will probably just keep saving for the glass next month then!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote