Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I never said they didnt work for the railroad, I was saying it was unrealistic because the picture shows here carrying a huge pipe wrench, indicating she is some sort of pipefitter, boiler worker, mechanic, etc.

You indicate several jobs women most likely did before and after the war: wiping (cleaning) engines, sweeping track, etc.

I would put money on the fact that they didnt mechanically touch a locomotive or railcar.
I could make some SERIOUS cash off of you, Troy!!!

Seriously, my friend. You may want to put your TV clicker down and pick up some history books. I think you'll be pretty darn surprised what some of the ladies were doing around the railyards and roundhouses during dubya-dubya two!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #27
troy12n
Banned

Ante up and show some evidence
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #28
JRMDC

Quote:
They may well have worked in a factory building them, but I stand by my belief that they were not out there maintaining or servicing them. I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time), but I doubt it.
Well, I won't do any more research than this (took a minute this time), but this link from the RR Museum of PA refers to trainmen, MoW workers, yard brakemen, reclamation of scrap, and "in the roundhouses."

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/rrpe...y/women2.shtml

That's good enough for me!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #29
coborn35

Ahh the 1940's. "When men were men, and women were too."
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #30
lock4244

Ahh, good times. You guys crack me up... drag queen.

For the record, I don't click on any RP image with an obviously posed female in it... it's just mega view whoring. I mean, come on, if you want girly shots on the interweb, there is much, much, much better material out there than on RP. No boobs = not worth the time.

'Tis better to keep the train shots of trains and the girly shots of girls (not drag queens).

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #31
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
No boobs = not worth the time.
Agreed, we need more material like the famous "Jumbo jet" shot from Jet-Photos.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Top shot of last week in one day? This is the thing I hate about this site over any other.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
troy12n
Banned

Like I said in my comment that got rejected, this photographer knows the formula for success on rp.net
Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #34
lock4244

It becoming a top shot is likely based almost entirely on the female in the shot, which speaks poorly of the hard-up nature of the majority of viewers on this site

I not panning the shot in any way, BTW, the thumb looks like it's well done technically, but I can't look at it on principal.

More Pics Here
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #35
GBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

Layered? What makes you think the scene is layered? Your statements make no sense. Her shadow is legit. The lighting on both her and the steam engine are the same. This one isn't even questionable.. Definitely legit, but also definitely staged..

Chase

I see very different shadows on the steam engine and behind the woman (or man).
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Well if this discussion did nothing else, it made the shot get top 24

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #37
bigbassloyd

So the question begs to be asked.. Would an actual man in this scene be as successful? Better yet, would it have been accepted?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #38
coborn35

Of course Lloyd? Lerro Productions does that stuff all the time. (and it looks great btw, wasn't a knock on them)
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #39
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
For the record, I don't click on any RP image with an obviously posed female in it... it's just mega view whoring.
Seriously, I don't think Kelly Lynch is the type of person who shoots for "view whoring." Look at his entire body of work. I suspect he was just trying to get to a particular look, a rosie-the-riveter sort of thing. And the pearls? Interesting touch.

I will say it isn't what I think of as an RP-type of shot (not just the model(?), but the pearls she is wearing), but it has its niche.

The main thing that bothers me is that the background engine isn't level. In fact, I can't figure out what the "right" angle would be; I can't reconcile the angles of the woman and engine.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-02-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #40
KevinM

Not sure why folks are so convinced there's something "fake" about this shot. The Photographer is a member of the FWRHS and a crewmember on the NKP 765 (the engine pictured in the shot). He has ready access to the equipment. Getting a model (or a friend) to dress up and pose with the locomotive would be a very easy proposition for him. There are lots of folks with inside access to railroad operations who post beautiful stuff here all the time. I've been fortunate enough to be present for a couple of such shoots. I even watched a museum steam up a cold engine specifically to shoot a couple of photos that were ultimately seen here. Nothing fake there, I can assure you. Just a great photographer working with a team of enthusiastic railroaders.

As for the pearls..... I find nothing out of place there at all. It is not uncommon at all for a woman doing a dirty job to add a feminine touch to the uniform, just to say: "hey, I may be dressed like a man, but I'm still a woman!" During WWII, the pearls thing probably would have been OK. In modern times, OSHA regs would probably rule out anything around the neck. I know of one female Viper Driver (an F-16 pilot) who was a USAF-trained killer, just like the rest of the guys in her squadron. She couldn't wear make-up with the oxygen mask, so she insisted on carrying her gear out to the jet in a pink pubs bag.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 11-02-2010 at 03:55 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
troy12n
Banned

I dont think it's fake or photoshopped, just unrealistic and cliche/staged/attention whoring

Quote:
uring WWII, the pearls thing probably would have been OK. In modern times, OSHA regs would probably rule out anything around the neck.
I dont know, certain industries and especially railroads have always been anal about certain things including what people can wear, what types of shoes, long sleeve shirts, etc. Until recent times, one of the biggest things was the type of watch you had to have.

BTW: nothing wrong with a girl with a pearl necklace

Last edited by troy12n; 11-02-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
JRMDC

Quote:
I dont think it's fake or photoshopped, just unrealistic and cliche/staged/attention whoring
Since this has come up again, and this really needs to be beat down, I will quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Seriously, I don't think Kelly Lynch is the type of person who shoots for "view whoring." Look at his entire body of work.
And I'll add to that. Kelly Lynch is not a view whore! Kelly Lynch is not a view whore! He is a serious photographer striving for artistic quality. You all may not like the result in this case, it may be a cliche, it certainly was staged, but he is not a view whore! What an insult, completely undeserved, he is just the opposite in fact.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Of course Lloyd? Lerro Productions does that stuff all the time. (and it looks great btw, wasn't a knock on them)
I must have missed the man standing way in front of a crooked locomotive holding a wrench photos from their sessions. I love how the people are incorporated into the Lerro scenes in a believable way. I'm not on board with this shot. Like I said earlier, the crooked locomotive should have warranted a rejection.

Just my opinion.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #44
coborn35

Me neither ha But you see my meaning.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #45
troy12n
Banned

Actually the more I look at this, I think that is fog from a fog machine, not smoke or steam.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #46
lock4244

Quote:
Seriously, I don't think Kelly Lynch is the type of person who shoots for "view whoring." Look at his entire body of work. I suspect he was just trying to get to a particular look, a rosie-the-riveter sort of thing. And the pearls? Interesting touch.
I'm not implying he is... just saying that when I see that type of shot, I ignore it. I know Mr. Lynch takes some pretty darn fine period type shot, and I'm not pooping on his work.

More Pics Here
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #47
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Since this has come up again, and this really needs to be beat down, I will quote myself:

And I'll add to that. Kelly Lynch is not a view whore! Kelly Lynch is not a view whore! He is a serious photographer striving for artistic quality. You all may not like the result in this case, it may be a cliche, it certainly was staged, but he is not a view whore! What an insult, completely undeserved, he is just the opposite in fact.
Just to clarify, I don't personally think that Kelly was trying to get a lot of views. I do blame him for uploading a sub-par shot, but mostly what I'm mad at is railpictures' user base. Although to be fair, it looks a lot better in the thumbnail...you can't tell it's really out of focus until you open it.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #48
mersenne6

Here we are:

From : She's Been Working on the Railroad - Levinson and Burman pp. 74-75

Jobs held by women During WWII (abridged for this post)

Engine House and Roundhouse Workers

Roundhous Clerk
Coach Cleaner
Engine Wiper
Cab Cleaner
Washer on Wash Rack
Boiler Washer Helper
Fire Builder
Ash Pit Man
Lubricator Filler
Inside Hostler Helper
Turntable Operator

Yard Workers

Car Clerk
Laborer
Track Sweeper
Carman Helper
Hostler

Shops

Upholsterer Helper
Locomotive Painter Helper
Blacksmith Shop
Store Supplyman

Mechanical Departments

Draftsman
Machinist Helper
Sheet Metal Worker
Steam Hammer Operator
Drill Press Operator
Boilermaker Helper
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #49
mersenne6

...and during World War I

pp. 39 same book

" [During World War I] most were workers like clerks, typists, stenographers, and ticket sellers. The second largest group worked in roundhouses and yards, mostly in traditional roles of cleaning and maintenance....Telegraphers accounted for the fourth group. Last, some five thousand women gained both skilled and unskilled jobs in shop production. They checked freight house inventory and operated turntables. They worked heavy tool equipment, cutting metals with an oxyacetylene cutter, forging [fabricating] metal parts with drill presses or steam hammers, or welding metal sections together by torch heat. They also cleaned, repaired, and tested this machinery. In the B&O's Mt. Clare shops twenty women labored at heavy jobs. After the war, nineteen left for other work but one, Amy Fisher, remained in the forge shop through World War II and for several years beyond."
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #50
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation Hey, that ain't no Monkey Wrench.

Quote:
The term is "bull" or "butch" I think

Completely unrealistic shot. Pretty girl with lipstick working on a steam engine? Please... I commented as such, but the comment I am sure will not get accepted. They accept anti-muslim comments but not true criticism. Credit to the photographer for knowing what the formula to success on rp.net is though...
She has the wrong type of wrench too.

You didn't see those types of pipe wrenches until the 60's.

She also has the wrong color of overalls on too.

Back in those days different trades wore different colors of overalls and bibs.

Painters for instance wore white.

Train crews wore a different color than the maintenance people or pipe fitters.

Also, the reporting marks are all wrong.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote