Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #26
AntD.
Senior Member
 
AntD.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Let's put this "technical" crap aside, whether you technically were or weren't between the gauge and/or on the tracks, this shot gives the illusion you are standing between the gauge. Hence the PEQ.

Ben
Not to get crap started, but must we go through the list of shots that were more than likely taken while tresspassing that are on the site? There's plenty! IMHO the whole PEQ for 'Tresspassing' is a bunch of BS.

ANYWAYS, the photo, well first off the whole PEQ rejection makes it a hell of a lot harder to know what the screener himself didn't like about the photo. IMO, IF (and I do not know if this is possible since I'm not familar with the Ops over that way) but if you really wanted to emphasize the "abandoned" aspect I would've perferred a train coming down the 'old main' and crossing over to the new main on the crossover seen in the shot. (Once again IF possible) and shooting to where it looked like the train was coming towards the end of the old Main....Get what I'm trying to say? LOL It's the best I could do considering its a little late for me to be putting thoughts together
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #27
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,195
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
There are no tracks there, hence the caption.
Just because you help out on a short line, it doesn't grant you permission to trespass on a class one. I don't think it was given a PEQ because of it's uninteresting foreground, but because the fact that it appears you took the shot from in the gauge. The broader view reveals otherwise, but still, the photo appears as if it was on railroad property.

Nothing really exciting in the photo anyway. I'd probably let it go.

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #28
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Just because you help out on a short line, it doesn't grant you permission to trespass on a class one.

Chase
What the hell does that mean and how is it relevant to our discussion here? When did I ever say that gave me the right to trespass?! I wasn't even trespassing!

I really wish people would stop with the "it looks like trespassing" card.
Really?
RP accepts photos like that ALL the time.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #29
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,195
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
What the hell does that mean and how is it relevant to our discussion here? When did I ever say that gave me the right to trespass?! I wasn't even trespassing!

I really wish people would stop with the "it looks like trespassing" card.
Really?
RP accepts photos like that ALL the time.
And RP later removes the photos that are questionable, in terms of railroad property. Not too long ago I had a photo removed because it was taken on a private crossing, looking down the gauge. I was fine with with it being removed.

PEQ's are often given to photos when trespassing is questionable.

I hardly find it accurate to say that RP accepts photos like that all of the time.

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #30
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 298636
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 325315
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Image © Cinderpath
PhotoID: 311353
Photograph © Cinderpath

Image © Jan Kohl
PhotoID: 313542
Photograph © Jan Kohl

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 322493
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 335471
Photograph © Bill Grenchik

Image © TL Scott
PhotoID: 314554
Photograph © TL Scott

Image © James Guffey
PhotoID: 194645
Photograph © James Guffey

Image © Dendera
PhotoID: 199417
Photograph © Dendera

Image © Larry Fellure
PhotoID: 34693
Photograph © Larry Fellure


I am not calling anyone out, these are all great photos. Simply proving Chase wrong.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #31
stevenmwelch
Senior Member
 
stevenmwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 720
Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch
Default

I trespass everyday I shoot in Jack London Square then... And so has everyone else, because UP owns the waterside drill that is cut at both ends... Heck, I was laying on my stomach yesterday shooting a train in the street!

I got to the second page of the 131 uploads yesterday, and got 10 that were possible trespassing shots. So, there was like five pages, that'd mean 25 out of 130 were trespassing? That'll add up if you reject EVERY one for PEQ for trespassing.

Back to the original topic, since trespassing is the stupidest topic here and a very dumb reason for rejection (what if you're like me who's dad is a manager for the railroad and I have permission to be wherever I want?)...

Anyways, try going wider and shoot a little more up and to the left, Max, show the cut off rails and some foreground, emphasizing that the rails are really OOS.

And for the rest of you who are crying about trespassing, I bet all of you have done it multiple times.
__________________
Steven M. Welch
Minot, ND
I gots my floaties and I'm ready to go railroadin' in Minot.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #32
stevenmwelch
Senior Member
 
stevenmwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 720
Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch
Default

I'll even openly admit which shots in the first few pages of mine are trespassing... Do I care? Nope.

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 345518
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 345275
Photograph © Steven M. Welch

Not on RR property, but Verizon Wireless property who owns the area around the cell tower.

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 345069
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 344837
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 344836
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 344722
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 344583
Photograph © Steven M. Welch


All of those were just out of the first 15 photos of my page. Yes, I trespass, but so does anyone else who shoots.
__________________
Steven M. Welch
Minot, ND
I gots my floaties and I'm ready to go railroadin' in Minot.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #33
AntD.
Senior Member
 
AntD.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
Heck, I was laying on my stomach yesterday shooting a train in the street!.
Trying to copy my new vantage point on your JLS vs. My 6th St.? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
And for the rest of you who are crying about trespassing, I bet all of you have done it multiple times.
PREACH!!!!
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #34
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
This is a broader view:
Alright, i'm gonna use the same methods you used on me: focal length 18mm, you are standing right in front of the track, how is this NOT trespassing? What a hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Its not obvious it was taken from a good distance. The exif data is hidden and Chase stated he may have shot with a 70mm. Thats not a great distance and the tracks do not look like they curve that sharply from the pictures that were given. Someone just explain to me how the tracks are on either side of him if he is shooting a 70 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I really wish people would stop with the "it looks like trespassing" card.
Really?
They need a good "pot calling kettle black" smiley here

Last edited by troy12n; 11-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

First Troy, I was joking, and said as such. Second, I was just saying you were in between the rails. I could care less if you were trespassing. This spot is borderline. No signs, nothing. Ive shot here with maintainers watching and they haven't said a thing. Its a little trail down to the sidewalk now.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #36
barnstormer
Senior Member
 
barnstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 374
Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Can you circle the taconite pellets along the old mainline so we know what to look for? All I see is ballast.
Jim, you are back. Good to see your cool dog again.

Guys, we have all trespassed if we are honest with ourselves. Coborn, if you really want the shot on the db than I would explain what the situation was to the screeners. I don't understand why it seems that everyone is always trying to point out anything they can that is bad about other people. I am tired of all this stupid arguing.
__________________
Stay out of the train's way and they will stay out of your way.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #37
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Just a note. Just make sure you are far enough from the mainline that the crews do not feel nervous doing their job. I have been in cab before and you can feel helpless in something that can't stop or turn.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Oh I agree Travis. Its not fun when your heart starts going a thousand beats a minute.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #39
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

The thing I don't get, Max, is the fact that whether the tracks extend or not, you're still on RR property. RR property isn't just between the gauge, it goes a lot farther. And from the vantage point given, the tracks end but the ROW doesn't, sure as heck. My understanding is that the ROW goes 25 feet either side of the tracks, however, they only care about the first 10 feet or so.
__________________
Be governed accordingly,

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #40
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

You and Daniel are on a roll. Thanks for explaining that. Whats your point? The argument is over.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #41
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Me? Really? If you would provide examples that'd be great. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter whether the gauge is there or not, concerning the OP shot, its still tresspassing, and as a result, the screener still rejected it. Out of curiosity, what did you say in the remarks to the screener?
__________________
Be governed accordingly,

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #42
Soo 6060
EMD > GE
 
Soo 6060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 285
Default

Well, you are saying that Ben's "lame excuse" for the PEQ is that you were trespassing. Peter and I are trying to explain that even if you weren't trespassing, the angle of the photo suggestes that you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35
Thats not true at all Ben, come on now. If you don't like the image, thats fine, i'm big boy, I can take criticism, but don't make up lame excuses.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #43
stevenmwelch
Senior Member
 
stevenmwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 720
Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Oh I agree Travis. Its not fun when your heart starts going a thousand beats a minute.
The sound of a F59PHI hitting a lady at 79MPH is enough to stick with you forever, and its been over three years for me, and I still have nightmares.
__________________
Steven M. Welch
Minot, ND
I gots my floaties and I'm ready to go railroadin' in Minot.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #44
mark woody
Senior Member
 
mark woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mudgee N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 641
Default

For me it was No.2 end of a 44 class DL500b on a short heavy paper train downgrade through a station platform in Sydney, hitting a suicide jumper 30 years ago, no longer get nightmares but still have vivid memories. The coroners court was the worst with the guys family looking at you as if you were a murderer.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #45
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Hey, where is the popcorn emodicon?

I want to put that in here.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #46
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Can you circle the taconite pellets along the old mainline so we know what to look for? All I see is ballast.
They are the rust colored, deer turd sized objects that start where the single piece of really white ballast is. BTW, they hurt when they fall on you from a bridge, lol.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #47
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
The sound of a F59PHI hitting a lady at 79MPH is enough to stick with you forever, and its been over three years for me, and I still have nightmares.
I'll be praying for you on that one (and all the other thousands of people in similar instances).
__________________
Be governed accordingly,

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #48
Chris Kilroy
Administrator
 
Chris Kilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 919
Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy
Default

Given the angle, you were either sitting or laying on what is very clearly railroad property (even if the rails are cut). That is the (only) reason I PEQ'd it.
__________________
Chris Kilroy
Editor, RailPictures.Net
- View My Photos at RailPictures.Net!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #49
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,913
Default

I was trying to get the point across that even if the rails were broken, it was still railroad property. But every time I (or anyone else brought it up) Max played dumb like he didn't get it.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #50
asis80
Senior Member
 
asis80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Thats not true at all Ben, come on now. If you don't like the image, thats fine, i'm big boy, I can take criticism, but don't make up lame excuses.
What excuses am I making? I'd love to know. Lame ones at that. Plain and simple, they don't want to portray someone in the gauge. Want to know the absolute truth? Fine I can't stand the shot. If you hadn't gone wide to show clearly you were in the gauge, maybe a chance at that. Simply put, your shot isn't in the database, end of story. Truth enough for ya?

Ben
__________________
Trains.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.