Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Paolo Roffo

Default How would you approach this shot?

This one got rejected for blurry and bad cropping. I'm not contesting the motion blur, but I'm curious how the rest of you would have handled the crop issue.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=707741&key=0

A little background to help fill in the blanks - the bridge has two arches. The left one is under the loco, the other is to the right, but it was in shadow so I elected to crop it out. I had thought of including it in a horizontal shot, but the water isn't usually calm enough for a decent reflection, so when I saw that it was today, I decided on a vertical instead.

There really isn't anything to the left, as the trees pretty well block the view of the track in the summer months.

The only thing I can think of would be to lose some off the right. Your ideas please?
Paolo Roffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Bad Timing is what got you , Cutting off the half the GP40MC is what got you, next frame?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I probably would have found a better location.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I probably would have found a better location.
How would he find a better location for this scene? Move the river and arch to a more wide open area?

I like it. I might tighten up the crop a bit, but the location and reflection are really nice. It also looks just a touch overexposed (from the bridge up). Maybe needs a little selective darkening.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
JRMDC

Given that you don't have the entire engine, I would consider cutting more of it off, keep the MBTA and that is about it. I would reduce the sky and add to the bottom a bit. Closer to symmetric vertically or even completely so.

Or, crop somewhere at the fuel tank, and don't keep the reflected engine, keeping only the reflected arch.

The alternatives aren't great!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

In cases such as this I opt for "machine gun" shooting. Put the drive in high speed and let the big dog eat. One of the frames is bound to work.
Yours is a nice shot that should make it in with the advice from others above. Doing some selective darkening should make the colors pop a little more, if not add some saturation.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Roffo View Post
This one got rejected for blurry and bad cropping. I'm not contesting the motion blur, but I'm curious how the rest of you would have handled the crop issue.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=707741&key=0

A little background to help fill in the blanks - the bridge has two arches. The left one is under the loco, the other is to the right, but it was in shadow so I elected to crop it out. I had thought of including it in a horizontal shot, but the water isn't usually calm enough for a decent reflection, so when I saw that it was today, I decided on a vertical instead.

There really isn't anything to the left, as the trees pretty well block the view of the track in the summer months.

The only thing I can think of would be to lose some off the right. Your ideas please?
There a later or earlier train when the other arch isn't shadowed? Is it mega shadow or something you can take care of quickly with little effort? Keep an eye on the weather for no wind and go back for the reflection if possible (no work, etc.). There are a bunch of shots on my 'list' that require perfect conditions but I know I might not get it for a year, two years, or maybe longer.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

After researching the shot, lets see if I figured it out.

This is the afternoon side of the bridge (both look accessible).
This is the 6:58PM (at Ashland) train.

If this is the scenario, I think you may still have a day or two left to try the 8:18PM train. If the sun is too low you may need to wait until next June to get the sun to stay higher longer in the northwest sky. http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

The morning side (9-10AM) possible?

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Paolo Roffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
After researching the shot, lets see if I figured it out.

This is the afternoon side of the bridge (both look accessible).
This is the 6:58PM (at Ashland) train.
AB2, you're 2/3 right. It is indeed the afternoon side, and both sides are (more or less) accessible. I haven't tried the morning shot there in several years, but now that you put the idea in my head, I probably will take a crack at it some morning this week if it isn't too overgrown.

This is the 5:28 train at Ashland. I had thought of trying to shoot the 6:58 train, but I think by that point the sun would be below the trees. But I think there's a weekday train around 6:30 that might work. Earlier is out, as the sun would be basically in line with the track.

Over to the right is, to borrow your term, "mega shadows." Its a heavily-wooded area, which would require a either a full day of chain sawing or a forest fire to remove. (Both thoughts have occurred before )

On the plus side, the bridge is about four miles from the house, so I can go back pretty much anytime I want. The trees along the track are small enough that I might be able to hike in and do a little landscaping too.

Last edited by Paolo Roffo; 07-14-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Paolo Roffo is offline   Reply With Quote