Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
JimThias

Default Mmm...I just LOVE Orange Crush!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
CJA

wow that sky does look a little, well... err.... orange.
CJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Somethings fishy about this shot.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
ssw9662

Looks like just a case of a strange color cast from playing with the levels too much. Should have been rejected for bad color, I doubt it actually looked like that in real life.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
Looks like just a case of a strange color cast from playing with the levels too much. Should have been rejected for bad color, I doubt it actually looked like that in real life.
I know the stainless steel cars don't look like that in the low light... Also, IIRC the sun doesn't set behind the station at all there either.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

I thought this was a thread about that old REM song.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
nikos1

It pretty much looks like the whole image was given a orange overlay. Kinda interesting but way too manipulated for this site, even at sunset colors do not look that bright. The silhouetted palm tree's showed a coating of orange as well when they should have been black.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

You succeeded. It got pulled.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

Hmm...anyone ever think it might have been an orange filter on the camera?

That would be RP worthy wouldn't it? Only reason I ask is because I spoke with the photog about it, and I know him personally. I know he has been trying out a set of yellow and orange filters with his equipment...

Just food for thought--

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
CJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_railfan View Post
Hmm...anyone ever think it might have been an orange filter on the camera?

That would be RP worthy wouldn't it? Only reason I ask is because I spoke with the photog about it, and I know him personally. I know he has been trying out a set of yellow and orange filters with his equipment...

Just food for thought--

Yes it was clearly a filter-does that make it acceptable?
CJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

The old way of thinking no filter's, No polarizers or color filters. Not my Idea's just the way slide shooters of days gone by. At one time we tried make a photo look just as it was at the time it was shot. These are the same guys that don't like digital as its fake. I know someone that sead that, not real photography.

So what about that shot that got pulled, think I seen it, was it to much? It came off like that to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-09-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add more
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save The Wave View Post
You succeeded. It got pulled.
LOL, all I saw when I opened this post, was Jim's Orange Crush bottle, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on, and then I saw this post, and finally saw the little box with the missing link,
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post

So what about that shot that got pulled, think I seen it, was it to much? It came off like that to me.
Everything in the image was orange tinted. The sky, the train, the foliage, the signals, etc. The photographer commented that the orange was from the setting sun. That was obviously not the case. It was a fun picture to look at, but obviously the admin decided it wasn't acceptable for the site after receiving emails about it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #14
trainboy29

Default thats my photo that was up there.

I'm the one who took the "orange crush" image. I used a cokin P-type filter on my camera to create that very orange sky. I wanted that type of deep color in the shot, that’s the way it should look! I understand if some people don't like that "fake look”, but that’s the filter effect, not photo shop that does that to the sky. Now that I have cleared that up, let me say this, please don't assume that some ones shot is fake before asking the photographer how they created the image first. There might be in camera tricks to create an image that you do not know about. Because of others lack of knowledge about filters, my shot was kicked off the site. I wouldn’t do that to any one of you out there, please have to same respect, thanks.
trainboy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #15
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

All I see is the soda!
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy29 View Post
I'm the one who took the "orange crush" image. I used a cokin P-type filter on my camera to create that very orange sky. I wanted that type of deep color in the shot, that’s the way it should look! I understand if some people don't like that "fake look”, but that’s the filter effect, not photo shop that does that to the sky. Now that I have cleared that up, let me say this, please don't assume that some ones shot is fake before asking the photographer how they created the image first. There might be in camera tricks to create an image that you do not know about. Because of others lack of knowledge about filters, my shot was kicked off the site. I wouldn’t do that to any one of you out there, please have to same respect, thanks.
If you're still around, can you please attach the shot here (or link to another web site it's on) so that those of us who didn't see the shot can form an opinion?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
And so the question becomes, should shots with color filters be allowed on RP?

And what does "fake" mean, anyway? If the same effect can be created using a filter or PS, what makes the latter "fake" and the former not, or are they both fake? Of course, "fake" will have different definitions for RP and other venues.

I didn't see the shot. My sense of RP, both its explicit guidelines http://www.railpictures.net/addphotos/guidelines.php and its general approach, which I think stretches the written guidelines but has a certain consistency, is that it is looking for the representational. Color manipulation is accepted if it is attempting to better capture the "real view" better than the original camera capture can. Reality, as opposed to how someone says it "should look" according to their artistic vision.

Again, I haven't seen the shot, but from your description it does sound like it should have been kicked off, GIVEN WHAT RP IS ALL ABOUT, not because you were wrong in any way in applying a filter in a presumably effective manner.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Because of others lack of knowledge about filters, my shot was kicked off the site. I wouldn’t do that to any one of you out there, please have to same respect, thanks.
I doubt the admin kicked your shot because of a lack of knowledge about filters. And whether it was filtered in photoshop or on your camera is irrelevant. Also, in your caption, you claimed the orange tint was because of the sunset. So, which is it? The filter or the sun creating the fake orange look?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
sd9

Quote:
"P-type filter on my camera to create that very orange sky" in other words, the sky was faked, as far as filters go, I change mine every 3,000 miles
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Seriously, "fake"..... Okay, lets take this to the next level then. If someone stages a night shoot using flashbulbs or now more commonly, strobes, they should all have their photos removed for manipulation also! I mean its 10:30pm and we all know that the sun is not out. With portable lighting the ambient light is "faked" and adjusted to suit the photographers liking. Any thoughts on this idea kids?!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Seriously, "fake"..... Okay, lets take this to the next level then. If someone stages a night shoot using flashbulbs or now more commonly, strobes, they should all have their photos removed for manipulation also! I mean its 10:30pm and we all know that the sun is not out. With portable lighting the ambient light is "faked" and adjusted to suit the photographers liking. Any thoughts on this idea kids?!
Wow...
(Yes, I realize, err...hope, this was sarcasm, but comparing filters to night photo shots...)

A.) As was already said no use of a filter was mentioned at time of submission which may have saved the image.
B.) The caption stated that it was the sunset creating the color which was obviously not true because the silhouettes had an orange tint. This lie then turns the attention to post-processing tricks because it smells like a cover-up.

Quote:
Because of others lack of knowledge about filters, my shot was kicked off the site.
Wayyyyyyy off. There is no lack of knowledge among the admins or screeners who made the call so this is completely wrong. Instead of lying about the shot, a comment could have been made in the appropriate box and it would have been handled accordingly. I would like to see more filter-created images submitted as well as on-camera multiple exposures which I know some digital cameras have. (Why the Rebel or EOS series do not have this is truly puzzling.)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I was joking Andrew and I hope that others can pick up on that! Now back to the filter thing, I use Cokin brand filters myself however, most of their filters could be classified as "gimmicky" and not really that usefull for making a true impression of the actual conditions. I would have approached the use of this orange filter photo differently if I was doing the shoot but, that is just me. My "sarcastic, why not pull all pics from the database that are not true to life impressions of the actual conditions" comment is how most of these threads end up. Jim, I think that you did the right thing with this thread, you wanted everyone elses opinion before stating the obvious. Would you have been ok with the photo Jim, if he would have used a split-grad orange filter?! LOL! (Seriously, they make one!!)

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 05-10-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
There might be in camera tricks to create an image that you do not know about. Because of others lack of knowledge about filters, my shot was kicked off the site.
1) A filter is not an "In camera trick".

2) Using a full color filter such as this will always look "fake". Even with the most impressive sunset or sunrise, you will notice other colors than just the sun color. With the solid color filter approach, it just looks completely un natural.

3) Solid color filters were designed for use with BW film and changing the spectrum of light to balance for daylight in color film. Cokin however, markets these to people for their unintended purpose.

4) Anything that I have left out?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #24
Joe the Photog

I'd still love to see the image so I can form my own opinion.