Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Miketherailfan

Default Bad cropping... screeners are drivin me NUTS

Tried this one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=665268327

Took it into Photoshop, cropped it, still rejected: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=824235&key=0

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Mgoldman

They may be driving you nuts but I think they gave you good advice - the second photo is more appealing to me as I saw no benefit from the "extra" space in the foreground. The second photo is nice but still has a bit of that same "extra".

If you had more to work with up top, you'd be golden, I think. As is, it's not a bad crop and I would hope an appeal would get it in. It's one of those shots that is as good as many, better then some already accepted, yet could possibly have been framed slightly better.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
Miketherailfan

Mitch,

I'm not sure how much more I have to crop before the image gets butchered... *sigh*
Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

The crop still centers the train somewhat in the bottom of the frame. Additionally, the image is kinda dark.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Quote:
I'm not sure how much more I have to crop before the image gets butchered... *sigh*
What do you mean by butchered? In the dead space, there is really nothing of significance in that area that the viewer of the pic would want to see.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Miketherailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
What do you mean by butchered?
The crop itself. It's either too much dead space or the image doesn't have enough room to breathe.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

The colors are awfully subdued and look at the shadows; they're almost falling straight down. Why are you so hung up on this shot anyway? (Aside from being the NS Fs.)
Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
LSRC Railfan

Quote:
The crop itself. It's either too much dead space or the image doesn't have enough room to breathe.
Why not find the happy medium?
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey

My take, crop and color.
Other opinions may vary...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5612.1276366310.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	5528  

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 06-14-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I think there's too much space in the foreground also. The crop by Dennis is on the money though in my opinion.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketherailfan View Post
Mitch,

I think Dennis answered your question! Pop!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
mark woody

Agreed.that looks like the way to go.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Miketherailfan

I appreciate the insight guys, and the crop Dennis, but the images still looks.... odd. I mean THAT much cropping makes it look really weird to me. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's a great shot with that much cropping done to it. But I say this as the guy who shot the picture. I guess I don't have an understanding as to why this site has such rigid standards for uberly-cropped photo to look like masterpieces.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
JRMDC

I prefer Dennis' cropping on the left side and the rejected's cropping on the bottom. Agree with Mike's implicit statement that it doesn't make much difference.

Mike, the original definitely needed foreground cropping because of the shadow at the bottom. So, yes, sometimes the site is rigid, or what I think is more accurate, particular, but on the other hand you definitely needed advice regarding the original submission. Roll with it, accept that RP screening can be helpful, sometimes persnickety.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Miketherailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I prefer Dennis' cropping on the left side and the rejected's cropping on the bottom.
Well, it looks like they do too... http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328049

I agree, the screeners are persnickety. That's what kinda drove me to the point of insanity, mainly seeing worse images than mine getting in but mine not for some minute detail is distracting.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
I appreciate the insight guys, and the crop Dennis, but the images still looks.... odd. I mean THAT much cropping makes it look really weird to me. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's a great shot with that much cropping done to it. But I say this as the guy who shot the picture. I guess I don't have an understanding as to why this site has such rigid standards for uberly-cropped photo to look like masterpieces.
Instead of complaining about the "rigid standards" which are in your head (show me where there are "standards" on cropping anywhere on the site), I think you need to either learn more about generally accepted photography composition and I don't mean for RP, I mean photography as a whole. You don't seem to grasp the concepts of dead space, which is not something the admin here created, or what makes a photo flow and easy to look at. Let's breakdown the timeline and thought process for the one in this thread.

First, you tried this: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=665268327
You felt this was acceptable. My question is why or even better, how?

The first thing that REALLY stands out is the shadow in the foreground. That can be cropped out in literally, two seconds so why leave it in? Is that part of your 'masterpiece'? I see another less intrusive shadow on the bottom right as well which would vanish with a crop getting rid of the other.

You seem to be a fan of allowing breathing room in a photo, as am I, but from looking at your photos, you think the opposite way I do. If you wanted to avoid a tight crop on just the train why not include the tops of the trees and some sky? It was a nice day so you weren't doing it to cut out a cloudy sky. Mitch hit this one on the head. Include the sky and you won't have to worry about "butchering" the shot.

The second crop is definitely better and I see why you cropped to where you did using the grease spots on the right as the bottom of your frame. Looking at it, it makes me want to skip over the subject, the train, to find something more at the bottom of the photo.

I see a lot of threads in here where people are confused about what the screeners are looking for and it confuses me because the frame of the image is sometimes very clear. Look around the edges for things that should be included and things that shouldn't like shadows, wayward branches or other distracting objects. If you get into a situation like this where one edge will be trees, try to find the edge of one of the trees, a difference in the color shades or a branch from another tree sticking into the frame of a different color.

The attached photo makes it easier to see the difference between all the versions. The photo as a whole is the original which I assume is uncropped straight out of the camera. The yellow line indicates where the second version was cropped to. The blue is the final accepted version. Notice how tight it is on the left to the point where the cans are almost cut off. The red is the way I would have suggested with green lines showing why I chose where to crop to. There is enough space around each of the objects where it isn't "butchered". The red arrow on the left points to the branch I would have chosen to cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MikeNSOCS.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	5530  

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 06-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Well, it looks like they do too... http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328049

I agree, the screeners are persnickety. That's what kinda drove me to the point of insanity, mainly seeing worse images than mine getting in but mine not for some minute detail is distracting.
you're taking it way too seriously then.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
Miketherailfan

Thanks guys. I'm sorry if I offended some of you, but I just get frustrated about my shots getting rejected and worse ones getting in, as I mentioned before with the rigid standards comment. I don't understand it fully, no big deal. I'm not a Photoshop whiz by any means, so I'll just keep it in mind for future submissions.

Last edited by Miketherailfan; 06-14-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Miketherailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Mike,

You need to stop looking through the database for images that you think are not as good as yours. It's a waste of your time.

Use the database to look for photos that you admire and wonder, how did he think of that, and then see if you have your own take on that idea.

You will learn the most by finding quality that you personally think is good and being influenced by it.

CF
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Mike,

May I suggest suggest studying the "rule-of-thirds." That is what I used in doing my crop of your shot.

Ultimately as an artist, you should do whatever you wish. However, if you desire other people to respond to your art, you first need to do what has proven to work long before RP was ever thought of.

When you master such rules, you then can break them.

You have received excellent advice here, particularly from Andrew and Charles. This FREE advice is golden and is perhaps the greatest advantage of being here. I know my railroad photography has exponentially improved since I joined RP.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
You seem to be a fan of allowing breathing room in a photo, as am I, but from looking at your photos, you think the opposite way I do. If you wanted to avoid a tight crop on just the train why not include the tops of the trees and some sky? It was a nice day so you weren't doing it to cut out a cloudy sky. Mitch hit this one on the head. Include the sky and you won't have to worry about "butchering" the shot.
Agreed. The image could have been much more appealing "opened up," allowing the viewer to see what surroundings this train was traveling through. As it is now, it's simply an elevated wedgie, and perhaps that's why the screener(s) wanted it a little tighter.

Mike, were you not able to go any wider with your lens?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote