Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
classiclights

Default Photo ID Help Please

Sometime ago I saved an image from the RP.net database of a WMSR 734 Winter Snow shot. I'm thinking this was from the Carl Franz's 2008 Winter Photo Charter, but in any event, my file save date is early 2008. At the time, I notated the Photo ID # as: 248252, but I failed to note the photographer's name. This photo was later removed from the database and I'm now left to wonder who the photographer was.

Any chance anyone made a record for themselves, mental or otherwise, as to who actually photographed this original image ???

A small version of the original appears below.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
sd9

If you search snow shots and 734 you get 6 pages of them
here's a few that are pans, but there's a lot of other great ones in those 6 pages like the ones Chase & Mitch took
Image © Michael Summers
PhotoID: 324340
Photograph © Michael Summers

Image © Tom Mugnano
PhotoID: 312703
Photograph © Tom Mugnano

other than that you can try the wayback machine and try searching that way
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiclights View Post
Sometime ago I saved an image from the RP.net database of a WMSR 734 Winter Snow shot. I'm thinking this was from the Carl Franz's 2008 Winter Photo Charter, but in any event, my file save date is early 2008. At the time, I notated the Photo ID # as: 248252, but I failed to note the photographer's name. This photo was later removed from the database and I'm now left to wonder who the photographer was.
Are you saying you cropped the copyright bar off the bottom of the image after downloading it?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
classiclights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Are you saying you cropped the copyright bar off the bottom of the image after downloading it?
LOL - No, Jim. You said that, not me. However, that's exactly what happened in this case.

Typically when I save a file, from whatever source, I'll include several identity features including the user ID as well as the photo ID number within the file name. For some reason, I failed to do so in this case.

As far as the notorious 19 pixels at the bottom of most of these files, they represent redundant storage issues on my hard-drive and are summarily treated as such. Fortunately when trimmed away, they don't leave a mess on the cutting room floor.

As for the new files, even with the identifiers stored within the file name, they're slightly less bulky in the terms of kilobytes per file.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
mSummers

Are you sure it was 2008? If I remember correctly, Carl didn't hold any charters at the WMSR from 2005 until the Helmstetter Farm Fund charters in October & November of 2009.

My RP.Net Photos

My Photo Galleries
mSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
sd9

Quote:

As far as the notorious 19 pixels at the bottom of most of these files, they represent redundant storage issues on my hard-drive and are summarily treated as such. Fortunately when trimmed away, they don't leave a mess on the cutting room floor.

As for the new files, even with the identifiers stored within the file name, they're slightly less bulky in the terms of kilobytes per file.
kilobytes? do you still use floppy discs?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
classiclights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
kilobytes? do you still use floppy discs?
Yes, floppies still seem to work best for storing files on my Tandy 1000.

Fortunately, I was able to get a truckload several years ago at a liquidation sale, nearly a half million Verbatim floppies, and I'm still in good shape with spares at this point.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
classiclights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSummers View Post
Are you sure it was 2008? If I remember correctly, Carl didn't hold any charters at the WMSR from 2005 until the Helmstetter Farm Fund charters in October & November of 2009.
All I know for certain is the original Photo ID #248252, which is no longer in the database. I've searched all five numbers before & after in the same sequence and they were all uploaded in the latter half of August, 2008 which tells me the photo was taken no later than January/February 2008.

Similarly, it may have been taken in any of the preceeding years during the snowy months, regardless of whether it was a Carl Franz event or not.

The WayBack Machine has no archive for the photo ID url.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:

Fortunately, I was able to get a truckload several years ago at a liquidation sale, nearly a half million Verbatim floppies, and I'm still in good shape with spares at this point.
Wow...that seems so long ago.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
Mgoldman

Quote:
Wow...that seems so long ago.
The correct answer is: "What are floppy disks".

Sorry, you lose, old man.

PS: They were only a nickel where I got them, lol.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
jdirelan87

Quote:
Given the circumstances, it is ironic you should call those 19 pixels a redundant storage issues. Had you 'saved' the .01% extra data per photo by not deleting the copyright bar, not only would you not have this 'problem,' but then people wouldn't assume you are stealing their photos like they are now
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
The correct answer is: "What are floppy disks".

Sorry, you lose, old man.
Hey now, I fully accept my old age. However, I look 10 years younger, so at least I have that going for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Hey now, I fully accept my old age. However, I look 10 years younger, so at least I have that going for me.
So, in other words, you're at the age where folks are already telling you, "You look good for your age." Translation: they think you're old!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
classiclights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Given the circumstances, it is ironic you should call those 19 pixels a redundant storage issues. Had you 'saved' the .01% extra data per photo by not deleting the copyright bar, not only would you not have this 'problem,' but then people wouldn't assume you are stealing their photos like they are now
John -

Thanks for your thoughts. I subsequently searched my harddrive to see if I had saved/stolen any of your photos.

Fortunately, I have not saved/stolen any of your photos.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So, in other words, you're at the age where folks are already telling you, "You look good for your age." Translation: they think you're old!

Sadly...yes.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Ha! I am a kid and 62 in 2 weeks!

Actually I look and feel 28 but wear a disguise.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Older Than Dirt and some Fossils.

Ok, since everyone is talking about old age (Disclaimer: I'm not as old as Charles) I saw a commercial on TV today about a prescription medication that one can use to treat low testosterone.

So then it hit me, how does one know that they are suffering from low testosterone?

Do you suddenly want to stay home and watch cooking shows instead of railfaning, is that how?

Or do you just wake up one morning and something, or things have fallen off?

Curious.....

Oh - and if you want to download my photos for personal use and look at them or even show them to friends that is fine, but if you start putting them in calendars, on CD's or Floppies and selling them, or displaying them on a web site without my permission, then I would have a problem with that.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-17-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #18
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Ok, since everyone is talking about old age (Disclaimer: I'm not as old as Charles) I saw a commercial on TV today about a prescription medication that one can use to treat low testosterone.

So then it hit me, how does one know that they are suffering from low testosterone?
Trust me---you'll know. It's the difference between a stick up or a hold up. Not the same.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Floppies?

Quote:
You really found a browser that will work on a Tandy 1000?

What are you running, Mosaic, or Netscape 1.0?

And just out of curiosity, what operating system are you using, Windows?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #20
jdirelan87

Quote:
John -

Thanks for your thoughts. I subsequently searched my harddrive to see if I had saved/stolen any of your photos.

Fortunately, I have not saved/stolen any of your photos.
In light of this thread, please forgive me if I'm less than totally confident in your ability to keep track of the original photographers of the photos you are 1) removing the copyright information from and 2) then doing who knows what with.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
classiclights

Quote:
You really found a browser that will work on a Tandy 1000? - What are you running, Mosaic, or Netscape 1.0? - And just out of curiosity, what operating system are you using, Windows?
Well, it's sort of like this. The old BS just started flowing from the get-go with this thread, and I just went right along with it all.

My use of a somewhat antiquated computer is true, as in an 8 Year Old Dell Precision 370 which did have a floppy drive originally. I removed that when it was given to me a little over 3 years ago and went straight to a DVD/CD combo drive, 2 - 1TB SATA harddrives, upgraded from IDE drives, along with an external 1TB Passport for additional backup.

It came with 2GB of Ram which I upped to 4GB running a 3.2Mhz Pentium 4 with Windows XP. There's no PhotoShop or Creative Suites here. I work with a 12 Year Old Version of Paint Shop Pro which outputs PhotoShop files just fine.

As far as burning floppies, that story is pure folklore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
In light of this thread, please forgive me if I'm less than totally confident in your ability to keep track of the original photographers of the photos you are 1) removing the copyright information from and 2) then doing who knows what with.
1st - I'm pretty good with keeping my files organized most of the time. There are a few exceptions, and the 734 image is one of them.

2nd - Removing the bottom 19 pixels is purely a personal choice. Most of those I've save are re-sized for reference at 800 pixels in width; trimming is just another cleanup process which I've done since I started saving those that have caught my eye.

3rd - There have been many cases where I have re-used images with the original photographer's permission, including many of the top shooters here at RP.net. In those cases they all have the original photographer's included.

4th - There has never been a case where I've used anyone's image for either personal or financial gain, with or without permission.

5th - If everyone at RP.net and/or these forums concluded that saving a file is tantamount to stealing then most of us would already be in jail.

6th - Your associates at NCIS San Diego or Quantico are more than welcome to examine my harddrive any time they wish.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
Holloran Grade
Banned

Cool Computers

Floppy Drives are not all that unusual.

Name:  Dell Floppy Drive.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  270.0 KB

Taken of my tower a few minutes ago.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Floppy Drives are not all that unusual.

Taken of my tower a few minutes ago.
Let go of the past...embrace the present!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Let go of the past...embrace the present!
The drive is there, I am not saying it gets used that much, If ever.

The only thing I do that would fit on a floppy is/are documents and email and/flash drives are the preferred way to move those around.