Default Strange duplicates

Can't sleep, so I'm playing around in the database when I came up with these:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 255487
Photograph © BurghMan

I'd swear they are the same exact picture. The dates are different, the EXIF data is different, but the train appears to be the same. So which one is the impostor?

It's amazing how much duplication you can find if you search by locomotive or some other linked entity.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
jdirelan87

Burghman is the king of duplicate posting. Of the 1700 some odd images he has on RP, I wouldn't be surprised if as many as 200-300 of them are double post. I particular notice it as I photograph the same area he does. He has been particular bad lately uploading some of him older scanned stuff... I bet you have a 50/50 chance of seeing the same shot or a very similar angle if you click on the locomotive (assuming he entered the information the same way, which isn't a lock)

Below is an example of not a duplicate posting, but a triplicate posting! To add insult to injury, note that the information is different every time! Off the top of my head I can think of at least two other triplicate postings by him, but don't feel like looking for them (this one was easy to find because I knew the location).

Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 7181
Photograph © BurghMan

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Last edited by jdirelan87; 06-29-2009 at 10:17 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
JimThias

Wow, this is a fail on so many levels.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
jnohallman

Time for a post in the site-related forum, a friendly message to the Burghman, and a "What's up?" to the screeners . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I always do a search now when I upload stuff as I've found two of my own duplicates. With 602 shots in the database, it can be hard keeping track of your own stuff. Not taking up for Burghman, but it's got to be harder for him wih three times the shots I have in.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Below is an example of not a duplicate posting, but a triplicate posting! To add insult to injury, note that the information is different every time! Off the top of my head I can think of at least two other triplicate postings by him, but don't feel like looking for them (this one was easy to find because I knew the location).

Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 7181
Photograph © BurghMan

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Wow.

Who knew JPEGs darkened as they got older?
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Wow, this is a fail on so many levels.
I agree with ya there, Jim.

Someone should inform the screeners that he is uploading all these duplicates, although if he is having trouble keeping track of what all he submits, I'm sure the screeners are having trouble remembering what all they've screened.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft View Post
Wow.

Who knew JPEGs darkened as they got older?

(either that or the size of B-man's pupils have been increasing)

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
KevinM

I guess I've never understood why these "duplicate shot" threads get started. While not desirable, they don't hurt anything. Whenever I happen to come across duplicates, I send a PM to the photographer and let him/her work it out with the Admins.

The problem is wicked easy to avoid. I have a pretty rigid file naming convention that includes the Railroad ID and the Shot Date. The IDs are assigned by PSE when I download from the memory card. Whenever I postprocess a shot for this site, I put the finished file in a directory called "RP", from which the upload occurs. If I were to attempt putting a duplicate there, good ol' Microsoft would instantly alert me.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
JRMDC

Well, mistakes happen (and have been apparently corrected now). What bugs me, however, is when someone takes a shot and waay-overprocesses it, and to boot, gets a second shot out of it. Just by darkening it! Unbelievable manipulation by BurghMan! Just part of the pattern of nefarious RP abuse!
Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 271027
Photograph © BurghMan

Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 271030
Photograph © BurghMan

JUST KIDDING!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
BurghMan

I appreciate the folks who took the time to point out the duplicates. With photos in the database that were submitted back in 2002, I wasn't aware of the duplication. I have asked that they be removed.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
To add insult to injury, note that the information is different every time!
This is what confues me. Wrong dates, different info? Why?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I guess I've never understood why these "duplicate shot" threads get started. While not desirable, they don't hurt anything. Whenever I happen to come across duplicates, I send a PM to the photographer and let him/her work it out with the Admins.
Hi Kevin, with all due respect I have to disagree that even though they aren't detrimental, having all these duplicates creates confusion especially when the dates and information are all different. I usually try to look past photos that were uploaded of the same train at different angles when I come across them, but this one really had me puzzled. I was actually floored when John found 3 duplicates. Wow!

As far as contacting the photographer, I don't feel that has any impact in the removal process. It's better to come to the site directly. I don't mean to point fingers at anyone, it's just that if there are duplicates in the database they should be promptly removed. Otherwise you've got a RRPA type site. RP.net is better than that.

As for Burghman, thanks for replying!
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
I appreciate the folks who took the time to point out the duplicates. With photos in the database that were submitted back in 2002, I wasn't aware of the duplication. I have asked that they be removed.
I'm as curious as Chris...why the different dates/info?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
BurghMan

I use to keep a very detailed log of dates, engine numbers, locations, car consists, etc... It was a great resource but it had one downside, it made me lazy when it came to labeling slides. The data was always one log book away.

The remains of Hurricane Ivan flooded my area and we ended up with three feet of water on our lowest level. Thankfully the slide collection was stored higher up! Unfortunately my log books dating to the late 70's went into the water. Some of the data is lost forever, some is smeared together in a mess. I try to make out some of the garbled characters. If the potential errors are troublesome to people, I guess I could leave the data blank.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
Hi Kevin, with all due respect I have to disagree that even though they aren't detrimental, having all these duplicates creates confusion especially when the dates and information are all different. I usually try to look past photos that were uploaded of the same train at different angles when I come across them, but this one really had me puzzled. I was actually floored when John found 3 duplicates. Wow!
Chuck, people sometimes make mistakes. It happens. Duplicates, even when they do occur, represent a VERY tiny percentage of the data base. The Screeners here do an incredible job of maintaining the quality of the RP data base. They, and the photographers who contribute here are absolutely entitled to make a mistake now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
As far as contacting the photographer, I don't feel that has any impact in the removal process. It's better to come to the site directly. I don't mean to point fingers at anyone, it's just that if there are duplicates in the database they should be promptly removed. Otherwise you've got a RRPA type site. RP.net is better than that.
This is where our philosophies are very different. Your statement leads me to believe that you don't think the photographers here have enough pride in their collections to take action if you were to inform them privately of a problem. I won't pretend to speak for the other folks here, but I know I'd rather have somebody tip me off and have a chance to make things right....than have them report me to the Admins or start a thread on the forums to embarrass me.

Kindness costs nothing......

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-30-2009 at 01:00 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Kindness costs nothing......
Kevin,
You have shown the forum right here and proven to me in person that you are a gentleman.

That day we had on "The Cog" and there was a minor derailment, I got all excited thinking of the views I could get on RP.

However, you demurred about posting such shots feeling that it would be detrimental to the crews and the relationship we photographers have with the Railway.

I took that to heart and have not posted the photo out of respect for what you said.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
I use to keep a very detailed log of dates, engine numbers, locations, car consists, etc... It was a great resource but it had one downside, it made me lazy when it came to labeling slides. The data was always one log book away.

The remains of Hurricane Ivan flooded my area and we ended up with three feet of water on our lowest level. Thankfully the slide collection was stored higher up! Unfortunately my log books dating to the late 70's went into the water. Some of the data is lost forever, some is smeared together in a mess. I try to make out some of the garbled characters. If the potential errors are troublesome to people, I guess I could leave the data blank.

Well that's some sad news. Sorry to hear that B-man. I don't think they are troublesome, just was a little odd. But now we know...The Rest of the Story.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well that's some sad news. Sorry to hear that B-man. I don't think they are troublesome, just was a little odd. But now we know...The Rest of the Story.
I agree... so sorry about that B-man... For the rest of you who have all your notes scratched on notebooks... take heed... it's time to scan those notebooks too.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #20
raider-15

While looking through the database today I found something that caught my eye... twice. They are not exact duplicates, but nearly identical.

Image © Andrew Robb
PhotoID: 289488
Photograph © Andrew Robb

Image © Andrew Robb
PhotoID: 289520
Photograph © Andrew Robb
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-15 View Post
While looking through the database today I found something that caught my eye... twice. They are not exact duplicates, but nearly identical.

Image © Andrew Robb
PhotoID: 289488
Photograph © Andrew Robb

Image © Andrew Robb
PhotoID: 289520
Photograph © Andrew Robb
Second one is just a tad farther back in the frame, and it has a watermark. Still looks the same to me though.

First one is sharper imo.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
CP990

It's not the same shot.

It's the next frame on the card. Take a look at the pole in front of the locomotive. There is a strange round boulder above the pole in one shot which isn't in the other one. Mt. Hood is also a different size in the backround, more telephoto effect, which isn't a phenom of cropping ...... the loco is the same size. There is also a brown circular striation in the rocks which doesn't move between the shots ...... it's one pole back in the second shot. The train moved forward one pole between shots.

One shot should be rejected for "too similar" but unfortunately it's the 4449 and that gets posted because of the "sensationism" and "wow factor" surrounding the subject. They are good shots, we only need one of them though. It's too bad the subject matter overuled the screeners mind.

Dave.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #23
CP990

Another thing ........... the white rocks move from above the baggage car to the P42 between shots. Take a look at the grass tufts in front as well. This is so easy .............. if you take the time to actually look at the shots.

Dave.

Last edited by CP990; 07-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.
CP990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

If you have a mac and Dubbed click you get 2 up loads,But it's the same one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
wongm

How come would someone upload two similar images for screening in the first place? It is a recent event, so it is not a case of scanning old slides, and forgetting which ones you have done and which ones you have not.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote