Train-a-Mania

Default Unavoidable Backlighting

I wasn't surprised when I saw that this image was rejected:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=837477098

I did manage to work around the issue for this shot here:
Image © Nick Ozorak
PhotoID: 316965
Photograph © Nick Ozorak

...but should I have investigated shooting it from a different angle entirely? Is there anyway RP may take the rejected shot?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Well mate, you've got a wedgie there. The other shot's good, but really, why bother trying to get a horribly lit wedgie on?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Personally, you got the better and more interesting shot in. The rejected shot is a typical wedgie with sub par (for RP) lighting and an open door. Not a bda shot by any stretch, but not very interesting either.

I like the Alco shot a lot though!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

The B&W is more successful from an artistic point of view. It is much more intersting to look at.

The ALCo shot is not artistic but is a good document. It has interest in that it is of rare machines. (I love ALCo's too.)

However, the B&W is much more eye catching for me.

Which is not to say it's perfect. The door spoils it and overall it misses something. Sorry can't think of what offhand.

Still, the B&W is the one I would look at.

But then I'm more a photo guy here than a hardware guy.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The B&W is more successful from an artistic point of view. It is much more intersting to look at.

The ALCo shot is not artistic but is a good document. It has interest in that it is of rare machines. (I love ALCo's too.)

However, the B&W is much more eye catching for me.

Which is not to say it's perfect. The door spoils it and overall it misses something. Sorry can't think of what offhand.

Still, the B&W is the one I would look at.

But then I'm more a photo guy here than a hardware guy.
From a photo point what makes the B&W interesting, it is very flat, a whole bunch of medium gray. The ALCO shot is far more interesting in both ways, the contrast of the ALCO and SD70M make you want to click.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

The B&W shot has interesting photography with common equipment. I like it in B&W. (yes, it needs more work to make a better conversion) I also like the long train tailing to the horizon, the crew grips, the low angle, and the contrasting light. I simply find it more interesting to look at as a photograph.

The color shot has interesting locomotives yes, with but it is executed with common photography.

While I too like ALCo's, the color shot has flat, uninteresting lighting and a very ugly bridge. Therefore the juxtaposition of new/old equipment is not enough to make it photographically interesting for me.

Most people who come to this site are interested in just seeing the hardware. I'm more interested in the photography of the hardware.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The B&W shot has interesting photography with common equipment. I like it in B&W. (yes, it needs more work to make a better conversion) I also like the long train tailing to the horizon, the crew grips, the low angle, and the contrasting light. I simply find it more interesting to look at as a photograph.

The color shot has interesting locomotives yes, with but it is executed with common photography.

While I too like ALCo's, the color shot has flat, uninteresting lighting and a very ugly bridge. Therefore the juxtaposition of new/old equipment is not enough to make it photographically interesting for me.

Most people who come to this site are interested in just seeing the hardware. I'm more interested in the photography of the hardware.
I'm not going to say that the colour shot doesn't have its flaws, but I really think it's a stretch to say what you're saying. The wedge has REALLY flat tones all across it, the light is not dynamic at all. There's no contrast across the entire photo. The way the light is makes you want to look away from the nose of the loco which takes up most of the photo, your eye goes straight to the logo and then out of the frame.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
TheRoadForeman
Banned

The rejected images door is open.... I hear that this is frowned upon.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote