Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
JLMcDaniel

Default recent rejections...

Normally I prefer to figure out how to correct things on my own... but these have me BAFFLED:

All rejected for composition and balance... I uploaded four that are kind of similar to each other (different trains) expected at least one, maybe two of them to go because I have seem others accepted with this type of angle. Not sure how this could be considered bad composition:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=767239672
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=179163361
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=974836022
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=814159&key=0

Also....
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1054008365

Any suggestions for that one?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Jennifer,

On the 1st 4, the trains are centered vertically with nothing on top-hence the balance rejection (bottom weighted). You might have been able to go with the same comp. if there would have been big, cotton ball clouds in the sky to fill the top.

For the station rejection, I have no idea. Maybe a misfire on the rejection reason?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
JRMDC

bad angle trolley - I suspect it is a combination of a) there is an angle between head-on and wedgie that sometimes screnners find displeasing, not enough side to see the side yet too much side to make it a head on. That may the issue here.

Also, those curved roof supports, they are so dynamic they make one want to see where they end, so include a bit more on the left to show where they hit ground - but that would usually be a bad cropping rejection. always nice to have a person on the platform also.

I don't know if either of these is what the screener is looking for but this is what I see.

Also, get the pantograph clear of the roof.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
cblaz

3 simple words for all four shots: Too much sky.

- Chris
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Bob Pickering

Hi Jennifer

Looks like the 1st one I have to agree maybe a bit too much sky. Try recropping and not showing as much sky.

The 2nd one I think again try to recrop but trim the sky a bit. As others have said, too much of the sky. Though I am no expert I can see what they are seeing.

The 3rd one I think maybe a cropping thing could be going on here as well as the sky thing.

On the 4th go a little lower, show more of the road and traffic beneath maybe.

One the light rail shot, I have found in tight areas that sometimes head on shots of that type are hard to get in. Maybe show more of the station etc. Otherwords widen it.

My take...

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I agree with the other people who have replied here for the first four images, there's just too much sky.

For the last image, it should have been taken in portrait orientation (almost 100% head on). As a general rule - when the train is arriving on the same platform that you're standing, you just can't get a good landscape wedgie. If there was a group of passengers waiting to board the train, then it may have been a different story ...

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
mSummers

1-4: The train is centered vertically. In this situation, the sky is boring so I would show more of the trees below it.

5: The shot is almost head-on which the screeners tend not to like. If there's room at that location, I would stand a little to the left to get closer to a traditional wedgie. Also, try to show more of the curved roof of the platform shelters. Those would add interest to the shot if they weren't cut off

My RP.Net Photos

My Photo Galleries
mSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Red face My thoughts

I might make another suggestion, but this may be somewhat esoteric.

When you go out and shoot pictures, try and decide what it is that you want to show, or what the scene is that you want to capture or create.

Then when you get home, look at what you have on your memory and decide what frames are the best at catching, or portraying what you set out to accomplish.

You picked a great place to shoot at because there is plenty of train traffic, a great looking bridge, some nice looking trees and a clear view of the sky.

However, in the four images that you submitted, I don't see any meaning or any purpose, other than to shoot some pictures of some trains on the bridge.

This one in my opinion is what you don't want to submit here:

The top of the truck does nothing for the composition of the shot and the power pole below the second unit is ugly.

I would predict that RP would reject that image and they did.

As for the other three, they have too much sky, or too much trees etc.

Pay attention to what is in the background and the sides of your shots because these guys don't like ugly stuff and junk around the main item.

I would suggest you figure out what you want your image to look like and go shoot it, then submit one at a time and see what they say.

That way you can get some critiques of your images without drawing the ire of the screeners.

Using the shotgun approach will be frustrating for you, and you will probably get your upload number knocked down to one per day which then makes it tough, but not impossible to learn the game.

Keep trying.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-17-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
3 simple words for all four shots: Too much sky.
Could not agree more without putting those three words in all caps, bold face, underlined, blinking and in neon. On all four shots when I clicked the link and the shot opened, I saw nothing but sky until I scrolled down. Further, the last two shots are too tight in my opinion. Show more scene including the entire truck that is cropped out.

I'd considered an appeal of the CATS shot esp. since the 104 is coming toward you with the egineer visible. You might get "cloudy/common" though. Also, we put the reporting marks as CATS and the LRV number is clearly visible as 104.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSummers View Post
5: The shot is almost head-on which the screeners tend not to like. If there's room at that location, I would stand a little to the left to get closer to a traditional wedgie. Also, try to show more of the curved roof of the platform shelters. Those would add interest to the shot if they weren't cut off
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

But Bob's advice of going wide is nice too
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
JLMcDaniel

Well I have been trying the advice here. Still nothing but rejects. I have a new one also -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=814891&key=0

Not having a very good week. I think I may just take a break for a few days... sometimes when I am distracted like this I just can't concentrate. But as for the above, my eyesight is horrible... I honestly could not tell you whether this is too much or too little contrast and it has been rejected twice. If someone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. I also have a suggestion for the site to make that two separate rejections (too MUCH or too LITTLE)... although most people probably do not have the same problem as me.

Anyways, thanks for your help
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

Jennifer;

The most recent reject seems mostly over exposed to me which is washing out the blues and yellows. Out of all five shots in this thread, this is one I'd let go, if it were me. It doesn't hold any of the intrest as the other shots. Just my opinion. The first two bridge shots as well as the CATS shot all have a lot of potential.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMcDaniel View Post
Well I have been trying the advice here. Still nothing but rejects. I have a new one also -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=814891&key=0

Not having a very good week. I think I may just take a break for a few days... sometimes when I am distracted like this I just can't concentrate. But as for the above, my eyesight is horrible... I honestly could not tell you whether this is too much or too little contrast and it has been rejected twice. If someone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. I also have a suggestion for the site to make that two separate rejections (too MUCH or too LITTLE)... although most people probably do not have the same problem as me.

Anyways, thanks for your help
Add to that bad cropping and unlevel. It's leaning to the right, and you awkwardly cut off the vehicle and building on the left. When you were framing that shot, did you do that intentionally? What were your thoughts about including a fraction of the car and a little of the building?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned

The image is overexposed (too bright).

Don't shoot at high noon, go out in the morning or the evening.

Also as was said above, you need to rotate the image to the left. Look at the side of the build, you need that parallel to the side of your picture.

You should also have the sun to your back for these types of shots.

Also the shadow on the lawn is distracting, move down the track perhaps?

Finally, get rid of the building and the car.

See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSX 4533.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	5454

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Much better!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
JLMcDaniel

Well I got one to go - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=324689&nseq=0

I see what you guys mean about the other. I am still very new at this (a little over half a year), so I tend to be very "text book" at times with the cropping... I was told to keep the train center in the picture (hence the four where the train is centered with too much sky - per advice here I deviated from that and got one in, so I learned something! I thank you all for the advice). I was also told that if the train is coming out from behind something to crop a bit of the object in, but there is not supposed to be a lot of it in the picture. Usually that works, but I am learning that there are exceptions... I may try work on it a bit more later or drop it completely.

Thank you
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
JLMcDaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Much better!!!
Thank you
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

That works.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
JLMcDaniel

Wow my picture got accepted and is gone now???????? http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=324689&nseq=0 Does anyone know what happened?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
mark woody

Is this the shot? looks like the number was changed for some reason.

Image © Jennifer Leigh McDaniel
PhotoID: 324697
Photograph © Jennifer Leigh McDaniel
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote