Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist
 
MichaelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 630
Default Some rejections

I've had a few rejections over the last week or so and they've had me puzzled ... Would someone be able to help me, please?

Bad Cropping
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1280488264
... this photo has been cropped deliberately to show the station architecture.

Same with this one
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1089896721

Undersharpened, then Bad Cropping!?!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=848199&key=0

More Bad Cropping
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=728680185

Horizion Unlevel
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=848313&key=0
... due to the lens distortion, I leveled the image using verticals on the building behind in the centre of the photo

Same again
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=846506&key=0
... this image was levelled using the overhead mast

Bad Colour
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...4&key=58656110
... the west really is that dry and colourless in winter!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
My portfolio at RailPictures.Net!
My portfolio at Flickr!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Doug Wolfe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 181
Default

I think all of your pictures are fixable. Since you have a lot start with leveling the horizon rejects. Do you have a leveling tool in your photo software?

The very first one I would try a tighter crop. Cut out the dead space.

Others will have better ideas.
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I've had a few rejections over the last week or so and they've had me puzzled ... Would someone be able to help me, please?

Bad Cropping
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1280488264
... this photo has been cropped deliberately to show the station architecture.
Too loose on the right and bottom IMO.

Too much plain sky. Maybe crop the 1/2 cut car and the guy out on the right too.

Quote:
Undersharpened, then Bad Cropping!?!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=848199&key=0
A little tight on top with the walk way almost touching the frame.

That partial white whatever it is on the right is a little distracting. Maybe come down a little from the top too.

Quote:
Horizion Unlevel
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=848313&key=0
... due to the lens distortion, I leveled the image using verticals on the building behind in the centre of the photo
The screeners seem to have been cracking down on distortion as of late. Does your editor have that option? Your train actually looks like it is going to roll off the left side. Go by the verticals on the doors and windows.

Quote:
Same again
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=846506&key=0
... this image was levelled using the overhead mast
It just looks like one of those funky angles. Maybe squeeze the top-right in to plum the right-most mast up too.

Quote:
Bad Colour
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...4&key=58656110
... the west really is that dry and colourless in winter!
No comment to give on this one.

Quote:
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

In all of your Bad Cropping rejects -- and a few of the others, too -- you have put your rtain in the direct center of the photograph which is generally a no-no.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist
 
MichaelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 630
Default

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll re-work them today and try again this evening.
__________________
My portfolio at RailPictures.Net!
My portfolio at Flickr!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Greg P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default

For the last one, the bad color reject, I think it might be that green line on the locomotive. It looks out of place.

Maybe try black and white?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.