Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
denvillerailfan

Default Bad Angle & Bad Cropping - help

Hey all,
Been trying to get back into things here, but what looks good in my personal collection... well, more rejects.

- Bad Angle
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=743962339
I can see how "images in which the train is going away from the viewer" is part of the description, and that alone can be appealed since this was being shoved towards me, but I suspect there could be more.

Bad Cropping
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=866725&key=0
Not sure on this one. Any input on this shot, or how to possible "do it over" if the oportunity were to present itself would be great.

I'm already happy with these in the personal collection, but I'm looking to make what I can do be RP worthy... I have a very small collection here I'd like to see growing.
Any and all input welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff B.

What little I have is here...
denvillerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
-
and that alone can be appealed since this was being shoved towards me, but I suspect there could be more.
Appeal might work, but I doubt it. Please let us know how well that goes over. Sure it's the main interest, but it's not interesting enough. Overall, not a fan of the angle although it looks like that's all you had to work with being on a platform.

Quote:
Bad Cropping
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=866725&key=0
Not sure on this one. Any input on this shot, or how to possible "do it over" if the oportunity were to present itself would be great.

I know you're trying to keep the signal, but it's just way too high. You can't help it, no one can. Can you step back further on the platform and wait for the train to pass the signal a bit? What I'm getting at technically is stepping back, zooming in on the train a bit past the signal SHOULD technically keep the signal in there with the train in your face a little bit keeping it balanced. That's just my opinion.

Ben
Old 10-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

The first one is suffering from bad DoF, looks like to me, aside from the bad cropping and the going away from you part of the shot. Sure, they're shoving to the viewer, but they're still front coupled and not very asthetically pleasing. Let these go and try again another day. Or night.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
JRMDC

first one: you have lots of poles and hardware "growing" out of the gondola. Just a distracting mess, really takes away from the presence of the crew.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
coborn35

Love the first one, people must be missing the fact that the crew is IN the gondola.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

#1 I like it. Do you have a frame a little later showing more of the side? The poles don't bother me.

#2 GIRL!!! Appeal, lol. Just kidding. This "pose" doesn't do much for me. It looks like she is dancing instead of working. It's too bad you couldn't have got down a little closer on the lit side with her in more of a "work" pose. You would have a Top of 24 for sure.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
denvillerailfan

Thanks, kinda what I was hoping for... well, expecting anyway.
I have some others i can see if they meet your feedback, but most likely these will be in the personal collection and I will try to store more things in my head for the next time I have a sunny day AND my camera with me

Thanks,
Jeff B

What little I have is here...
denvillerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote