Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Please keep RP contributor in your thoughts....

Folks;

Please keep Railpictures contributor Derek Poole in your thoughts and prayers. Poole is a volunteer firefighter in NC who was seriously injured in a wreck while returning from an arson recently in Cayawba, NC. Here is the link to a WSOC-TV story about him --

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11405183/detail.html

Derek is a young guy and somewhere there is a criminal who set a fire that seriously injured someone who volunteered to help put it out.

Image © Derek Poole - Salisbury333
PhotoID: 137381
Photograph © Derek Poole - Salisbury333

He's a member of the Carolina Rails YahooGroup that I moderate. I've met him a few times here and there but he's got a lot of good friends on that list who are keeping him in our thoughts and hoping that the arsonist is caught by authorities and not one of them.

Joe H.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Thank you for letting us know Joe. I will be keeping Derek, his family and friends in my prayers. Hopefully he will be well and trackside again in short order.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this Joe. We'll definately keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Chris
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #4
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Default F Poole

From Firefighter.com

A Catawba County (North Carolina) firefighter was seriously injured in a car crash after responding to an arson fire on Sunday. The firefighter is now in intensive care after undergoing two surgeries to his neck. Authorities say he is in stable but serious condition. He may be permanently paralyzed.
FF Derek Poole, 21, was enroute to the Catawba F.D. at approx. 1230 hours when the crash happened. Cops say he was responding in his own car when he missed the stop sign at the road's intersection and a vehicle going west slammed into his car.
Poole was ejected from his vehicle. Medics rushed him to Catawba Valley Medical Center and he was then transferred to Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem that afternoon, where he remains as described above.
The driver of the other vehicle sustained minor injuries but he was not transported to the hospital.
Fellow firefighters are angry because Poole should have never been on the road at that hour but was forced to respond to a fire call because of an arsonist.
We sincerely hope FF Poole is able to successfully recover after this horrible incident

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
Mark Rosnick

Default RP contributor

We'll keep Derek in our prayers. As a former volunteer fire-fighter myself, we all knew the dangers involved. But for an arsonist to start a fire, and Derek to get injured, makes me furious. I hope the authorities catch the arsonist, and he gets what he deserves.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote