Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
Two-Tone-Green

Send a message via MSN to Two-Tone-Green
Default Somewhat Baffled, Help please

OK so I'm quite used to the reasons with rejections over the past year? I have been uploading to this site, and I must say its pretty good for Rail Photos.

So this past week I took my first night shots of Trains, after learning of this feature when I was in Italy for vacation in the Summer, none the Less here are the pictures that Got Rejected.

Reason for Rejection: "Underexposed"

Reason For Rejection: "Bad Angle"

Email: Bad Angle: This rejection applies to going away shots which are typically not accepted unless they feature unique composition or rare subject material. This can also apply to images where part of the train is cut off in which case we would suggest, show us more than just a wedge angle of a train.

Reason for Rejection: (I forget) but I didn't understand it...

Thanks for the view, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Christian
Two-Tone-Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
JRMDC

First one - night shots are tough, matter of taste. This one looks very good to me, and very interesting with the shadows - it works for me here, although a no-no for daytime! I suggest appealing. I wonder what other people in this forum will say.

Second one - maybe a simple mistake by the screener in pushing a button, maybe Bad Crop was intended? I'd crop from the top and the right.

Third one - I'd go for a tighter crop. You have the train dead center, and this shot looks like it really needs a rule of thirds treatment - I'd crop the right and top. Since the train is so small, there is greater emphasis on the surroundings, and they are a bit dull, especially on the right. Crop the right and it becomes more of a picture of train vs. rock outcropping, always interesting (to me). I'd prefer that the shot have been made when the train came a bit closer - maybe you have that one also? The train is so small...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Two-Tone-Green

This is the second shot of the 3rd photo in my previous post yet again it was uploaded and rejected.

BTW all the shots you see have seen appealed, but to no avail
Old 12-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Tone-Green

This is the second shot of the 3rd photo in my previous post yet again it was uploaded and rejected.

BTW all the shots you see have seen appealed, but to no avail
It would help greatly to know the reason for rejection (as you gave for two of the first three).

For the fourth one, my opinion is that all the action is on the center and left, the train and rocks. The right side is much less interesting and should be cropped. Also, the sky is problematic to my tastes, maybe a crop off the top. Also, you have the side of the train in shadow, always a negative factor for RP.

Presuming that what you are showing is the full image (so you can't add to the left while you crop from the right), I would seriously consider a vertical composition on this one, cutting top and right. I would like it! Just one opinion.

As for appeals, remember, that is no panacea. I think it is much more often the case that the photographer fails to see the criticism leading to the rejection than the screener has made an error. Those guys have sharp eyes! Just curious, what reason did you give for the appeals? My sense is that if you can't express a reason for the screener to change their mind, you should not expect acceptance on the go around. To my eye only the first of the four is worthy of appeal unchanged.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Two-Tone-Green

To tell you the truth I can really remember what I submitted for the appeals, I know for the Night Shot one I said how the Stars add mood and if it was anymore exposed the CP Unit would have been one big red light bulb lol

I shall await for more suggestions till I ask about some more photos I have, and the BCR shot I cant never duplicate again, It was the first time I really used my dads digital Camera back in 2004 and now its 2006 and CN has messed soo much up you can never get that shot again . Now that I'm 18 and wiser I can learn from my mistakes and can get info from you guys on how to improve!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Switched out

Hi Christian,

Looking at your shots I think the main problem is cropping. If you cropped them so that they conform to the rule of thirds you would stand a better chance of having them accepted here. With my suggestion for cropping your B/W shot (see attached) you can see what I mean. I also tweaked the exposure a little.

The night time shot would most likely get nuked for distracting shadows across the locomotive and tank car if the exposure was correct.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Christine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4622_South-1PSrw.jpg (87.6 KB, 114 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Bill

The third one (the original vension) looks very oversharpened to me...lot's of fringing on the trees.
I like the night shot.

Good luck,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

I kinda like the #3 shot as is. What is that red stuff in the trees on the right?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Two-Tone-Green

Thanks guys for the Info! Ill apply these suggestions next time I take Photos!

The red stuff is partially Red Tape as the tree may be removed, and I think there is a little bit of Mountain Pine Beetle attacking the tree *sigh*