Old 02-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Opinions on this one,

Hi guys!!
I have here a pic I took today of Amtrak in Granite City, IL near the 25th Street crossing. Do you think it stands a chance? All criticisms and suggestions appreciated!!! Pardon the small size of the pic as seen here---I had to downsize it to save uploading time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 174.JPG (301.5 KB, 116 views)
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
jason15c

Default Lighting

The main criticism I would have with this shot would be the angle of the light which is straight down the track. This means you have ace colours on the nose, but the side of the train is almost in shadow. This means that the train does not stand out in the photo. If you tried a shot at this same location about 2 hours earlier (if that is possible), you would get a much better result with much better colours making the picture much more punchy. As it is, the location is fairly bland, and the lighting on this shot just makes it look worse. I am not convinced that this would get past the screeners.
I hope that my comments help and are taken in the constructive manner with which they are intended.

http://www.15c.co.uk
jason15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Also, if the picture is cropped to those dimensions, that probably will not work. I'm not sure if you have a better cropped version, and are just showing this to exemplify the train. Before you get to that point, though, as was mentioned, the lighting is probably not going to help get this photo added.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason15c
The main criticism I would have with this shot would be the angle of the light which is straight down the track. This means you have ace colours on the nose, but the side of the train is almost in shadow.
Right. BTW, "ace" is my new favorite word!
Quote:
This means that the train does not stand out in the photo. If you tried a shot at this same location about 2 hours earlier (if that is possible), you would get a much better result with much better colours making the picture much more punchy.
Correct.
Quote:
As it is, the location is fairly bland, and..
You had me until here. Sometimes subtlely is good. I enjoy many many different kinds of shots, of course I have my preferences, but I do see potential here. I like the codeline being on the the side you photograph and can be used to frame the train. In this case I would try telephotoing in on the group and put a car between each of the poles. I would make sure the engine is not obscurred by any of them. Of course this is just a suggestion.
Quote:
...the lighting on this shot just makes it look worse. I am not convinced that this would get past the screeners.
I don't think so either. As was stated a few hours early and it looks like it would be superb lighting. Now try to get Amtrak to run earlier!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
amtrakboy

Default Photo dimensions

The photo you see here in the forms is a downsized copy of the original, downsized here only for the purpose of expediting uploading for forum purposes. I am going to give that location another "shot" on the next sunny day, preferably in the very early afternoon, or even in the morning hours. There are several other locations on the Illinois side of the river where I would like to shoot, but have refrained from doing so because of the unsavory neighborhoods in those areas. BTW guys, what do you think of this example of artistic creativity? LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87.JPG (241.0 KB, 110 views)
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
There are several other locations on the Illinois side of the river where I would like to shoot, but have refrained from doing so because of the unsavory neighborhoods in those areas.
Hey, come on by sometime. I'll take you on a tour of those unsavory places. Those are the best spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
BTW guys, what do you think of this example of artistic creativity? LOL
You can polish a turd to your heart's content, and it will still be a turd.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote