Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
kml928

Default Help with rejects...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=647464&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=605966371

So is it too much saturation or not enough color? I dont get this reason, its contradicting. Also, horizon unlevel ?!?! You can tell by the pole the horizon is LEVEL. The @*!& train is slanted bc its going around a curve.

Also on the crop rejection, the whole point was to get the sunset / sky and the old railroad building in the same shot.

I guess they want more shots of sunsets with the THREE POINTS OF LIGHT hiding somewhere in the treelines (some of you will know what I mean)....
kml928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

Well, it is unlevel, needs some ccw rotation
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
JRMDC

It doesn't seem like you are in the mood for feedback, you just want to rant. Mission accomplished!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
kml928

I need help (and to rant) haha.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
JRMDC

Well, I can't tell, you seem grumpy about the site. Why it is worth my time to write up a critique?

Especially if you are so cock sure your shots are level.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
kml928

Sorry, I got done looking at other photos on the site for awhile today and always seem to notice a few that bother me compared to some I have rejected.

I do see the one is slightly unlevel, it does need shifted slightly, and I can try different crops but what about the color? Just oversaturated?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
Sorry, I got done looking at other photos on the site for awhile today and always seem to notice a few that bother me compared to some I have rejected.

I do see the one is slightly unlevel, it does need shifted slightly, and I can try different crops but what about the color? Just oversaturated?
Yes, I think so, oversaturated.

On rotation, make verticals, like leading edges on engine noses, vertical. That lead engine is on a tangent in both shots, having just come off a curve. It should not be leaning.

The wide shot, it is tough, there is a big hole in the middle between train and partially-visible structure, not sure how to make a more pleasing crop of it. I think what you may have wanted to do was to have stood more to the right and captured the entire end of the building, with the train more off to the side and having more of a side view of it and less of a nose view. But then you are looking at the dark side of it also.

One alternate might be to at least crop off the pole on the left margin, way too noticeable an element, and just have train/trees/building.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #8
kml928

Ok, no offense in any way to AB, but this is one example.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=272635&nseq=2

How did one of those above get hit with the backlit or poor lighting on nose, visible side of the train and this one didn't?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
kml928

Heres the retry, underexposed?!? And I lowered the saturation like 20 steps in photoshop in this one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=647499&key=0
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

Quote:
Ok, no offense in any way to AB, but this is one example.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=272635&nseq=2

How did one of those above get hit with the backlit or poor lighting on nose, visible side of the train and this one didn't?
Look at all the stuff going on in that shot. nice broadside, some very dynamic clouds, and right where the engine is, and you can bet he did this on purpose, is a nice big spot of sunlight, making for a perfect silhouette. He set out to make that very image, waited for the train, waited for the nose of the engine to get to that spot, shot, and there you have it, a really striking image. Sort of seems like you're comparing apples to oranges by using that shot as your example.

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
capwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
DWHonan

Quote:
So is it too much saturation or not enough color? I dont get this reason, its contradicting. Also, horizon unlevel ?!?! You can tell by the pole the horizon is LEVEL. The @*!& train is slanted bc its going around a curve.

Also on the crop rejection, the whole point was to get the sunset / sky and the old railroad building in the same shot.

I guess they want more shots of sunsets with the THREE POINTS OF LIGHT hiding somewhere in the treelines (some of you will know what I mean)....
Woo-hoo, I've achieved infamy! Not bad for having only been here three weeks. For those that don't know what he means -- and for the cheap boost in views that won't mean anything -- here's the photo in question:

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 272095
Photograph © David Honan

(Hint: Read the caption.)

With regard to your images:

Both photos are rotated substantially clockwise.

In the first one, take a look at the building on the right edge: The laws of optics dictate that at the angle which you took that photo, if the camera were level the corner of that building could not be leaning AWAY from the center of the image. The colors are pretty nuclear -- that red on the grass looks completely unnatural. As J pointed out, there's a big area of blah to the right of the engine, and there's nothing over in that whole half of the composition to draw the viewer's eye. A better option might be to crop the left 1/3 or so vertically and incorporate the retired catenary as the framing element.

The second one does not effectively work "to get the sunset / sky and the old railroad building in the same shot" because the building is completely buried by clutter (poles, bungalows, crossing gate/crossbuck, wires) and is cut off by the engine. You would have been better served to shoot wide from closer to the PL signal. As before, this one appears over-saturated.

So, there's the constructive criticism you wanted. Go forth and do improved things!
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
kml928

Well, I prob have to just forget these two, but heres the only other crop that would work for the wide one with the old railroad building on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503_web2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	3805  
Old 02-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
DWHonan

Quote:
Well, I prob have to just forget these two, but heres the only other crop that would work for the wide one with the old railroad building on the right.
And it won't work because, as J and I said, there's too much dead space in the middle of the shot. Try something different here; maybe shoot a broadside from the side of the road to the left across the tracks, capturing the glorious late-evening light across the side of the engine as it passes "the old railroad building" in the background.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #14
kml928

Yea, its close by so I have plenty of time to try other angles. Prob just setting up on the left side of the track would have helped both shots.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
dejv

I realy like that disused catenary support and space between it and track what seems as right-of-way for second track. I'd like to see a photo from very same place and with similar lighting framed by a support, just with train a bit closer. And when framing, level to the verticals in the centre of image, every other line is tricky in this respect. Last, even with this shot you could get better looking both sky and shadows - just don't be afraid of curves.

(Yes, the attachment is overprocessed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2467.1235095509.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	3808  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by dejv; 02-20-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: re-adding attachment
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote