Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
David Harrison

Default Need To Crop A Complicated Chicago JCT

First order of business...thanks for the help and encouragement. You've kept me in the game and I've finally posted my first 20.

This is one of the most complicated junctions on Chicago's "L". I thought I had a winner with the train curving around getting ready to thread its way through the trackwork. Cropping has me beat on this one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=355744870

Later I even tried to submit the original full scale, and no luck.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...2&key=39085201

In between I tried every crop, getting as close up as I dared....no go!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=683619&key=0

Thanks

David
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

David,

What do you think about this? I trimmed a little off the top and right of the image. I tried to get the train into the top right point in the rule of thirds with out cutting off the base of the dwarf signals and keeping the logo on the building.

I'm not sure if this is the best crop you could get, but it has my vote. I'm sure others will be able to help you further.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8789_1242267986.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	4070  

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

The vertical composition you tried pretty much nails what I was going to tell you, to go vertical, and is a nice composition. Note it was rejected for Noise/Grain and not composition/cropping. Just clean that one up with a smidge of noise reduction, and you should be good to go. I'd also recommend bumping up the contrast a little bit.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
David Harrison

Thanks to all. Hey ken45, I've had some others with a noise rejection. There doesn't seem to be any noise reduction in the iPhoto program on my lap top. What minimum Photoshop should I consider?

David

Edit: I should add that the lap top is a Mac....MacBookPro.

Last edited by David Harrison; 05-14-2009 at 07:02 PM.
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
Thanks to all. Hey ken45, I've had some others with a noise rejection. There doesn't seem to be any noise reduction in the iPhoto program on my lap top. What minimum Photoshop should I consider?

David
PS is poor at noise control. Get noise ninja as a stand alone program or as a add on to PS if you get PS.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
PS is poor at noise control. Get noise ninja as a stand alone program or as a add on to PS if you get PS.
It depends.

I've never had a problem simply using the noise control within PS Elements 3; I've used it plenty. I don't see why a better program is needed for RP-level work (1024x sizes, etc.).

PS: either Ryan's crop or the vertical looks good to me.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It depends.

I've never had a problem simply using the noise control within PS Elements 3; I've used it plenty. I don't see why a better program is needed for RP-level work (1024x sizes, etc.).

PS: either Ryan's crop or the vertical looks good to me.
I guess, it really depends on the amount of noise you have to deal with often. I shoot poor light a lot so I needed a better program. For the shot above, I am sure PS will be enough without making it look clay like.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post

David

Edit: I should add that the lap top is a Mac....MacBookPro.
Like Travis, I use Noise Ninja as a plugin for most of my noise reduction needs. There is noise reduction as an option when converting a RAW file in Photoshop Elements 6.0 but I'm not sure if you shoot RAW and I'm not sure if that option is available to JPEGs. Noise Ninja is much more powerful, and I use it for anything more than a very light amount of noise.

Neatimage is a noise reduction program that you can download a limited version of for free. It will cover all of your basic needs, and I'd highly recommend downloading it and playing with it. Looking at your image that was rejected for noise, I don't see much noise but it does suffer from poor image quality as it looks like some of my shots taken with my 4MP point and shoot where I tried to do a fairly severe crop of the frame. The lines seem a little shaky and the textures a little coarse.

I'd go with Ryan's crop for now, then go back and re-shoot, zooming in to get as close of a composition on camera as you can to the third reject. This will improve the image quality by not requiring such a severe crop and you'll get the same dramatic image.