Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #76
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I won't say that I've been around the block a zillion times or run into a zillion railfans out there, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a railfan with binoculars.
Then I must be a really unusual railfan.

Seriously, though, I use binoculars mainly to look for distant headlights on lines. I also look from a distance at parked trains to see if there are crews inside the cabs.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #77
Northern Limits

So if you are paranoid - don't let this happen to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture me.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	2061  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #78
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
LMAO!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #79
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Then I must be a really unusual railfan.

Seriously, though, I use binoculars mainly to look for distant headlights on lines. I also look from a distance at parked trains to see if there are crews inside the cabs.
Two more good reasons.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #80
WembYard

Quote:
I won't say that I've been around the block a zillion times or run into a zillion railfans out there, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a railfan with binoculars. It's the first time I have heard of binocs used for casual viewing of industrial property, in fact. Seems much, much more unusual than railfanning. Just a thought. Anyone have a different perception?
Here in the UK it is common to see a railfan with binoculars. Most of these are of the "trainspotting fraternity" who take numbers, binoculars are handy for getting the numbers that are too far away to see by normal sight.

I often carry a pair, not to check numbers, but they are handy at busy locations to check the position of points (switches) to see which route that a train will be taking. They are also useful for viewing distant trains to see in advance if it is anything worth taking a picture of
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #81
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

That reminds me. I need to buy a new pair of binoculars.
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #82
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicTrain35
At about 5:00 P.M., today, my dad and I were raillfanning at a rural crossing, along the CSXT spur, in Channahon. The reason we were down there is because we saw a CSXT local working.

We got off of Interstate 55 and drove down a public road, to a public, ungated crossing. We legally pulled over, off the road. There were no signs that read "CSXT property." I took out my camera and took one picture. We then waited for the train to move up a bit, so we could get a better picture. The train didn't move. We continued to wait.

Minutes later, a security officer came by and told us that they're banning photography around that area. He said that the crew of the train called us in to security and said that we were "suspicious individuals taking pictures." I kindly told the officer that I am a railfan, whose hobby is taking pictures of trains. He didn't have any problem with that and was very nice about the situation, however, he told us that we weren't going to be able to stay there.

After we left, we figured that the whole situation was over. We came home and went on with the day like we always do. At about 7:00 P.M., tonight, my dad was home on the computer. The doorbell rang and he went downstairs to answer it. A Will County Sheriff's Deputy was standing at the door. He wanted to know if we were taking pictures today, along the CSXT in Channahon. My dad kindly told the deputy that we were and that he and his son enjoy trains as a hobby. He asked my dad if we took a picture of the train. My dad told him that we did and the deputy wanted to see the picture. My dad showed him the picture and the deputy took down the train engine number. My dad was told that the FBI may be interviewing us and that the location we were at was three miles away from a refinery. The deputy was also nice about the situation. He gave us a green card that read "Suspicious Person."

My mom and I were not home at the time and got home fifteen minutes after the deputy left our house. When we got home, my dad told us the story and I couldn't believe it.

I'm currently on the phone with a friend right now as I type this and he says "It seems that these police officers take their jobs way too seriously. Why don't they go after the real terrorists for a change?"

Just wanted to share our experience with all of you. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Take care.

Nick Hart
Well this is just me. Id tell the cop that told you to leave that your on Public property and you aint doing nothing wrong. Let him take you to jail I mean seriously they wont keep you there cause you did nothing wrong. But yet I guess its just better to go with the flow huh?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #83
NSFan14

Quote:
Wow dont rail crews just hate us? Well at least around here they dont hate me. Im 15 years old and they all know me I guess cause I get all kinds of stuff given to me. Like Safty packs. Water bottles....ECT. I have never got in trouble by a Police yet for railfanning. The RR police know me so well they actually stop and give me some info on when a train is leaving and all that good ole stuff. I love being from Louisville,KY cause like I said I guess all RR crews like me for some reason.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #84
blueangel-eric

Quote:
that happend to me too. The conductor and engineer stuck their phones out the window and photo'd me.

Eric Burris
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #85
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Wow dont rail crews just hate us?
No, not here. I came back the next day and gave him a copy of this picture. We sat around drinking coffee and sharing stories.

On occasion there have been some questions about who I work for (i.e. Transport Canada or CN spy?), but when they find out I'm a railfan photographer things get pretty relaxed.
I now take a small album of sample pictures with me. A lot of the crews enjoy seeing what the train looks like from a different perspective.
Afterwards, I make sure I point out my chase car so they will recognize me next time.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #86
King Air

Default never got kicked off

I took some pictures of the president's train (NS). And I never got kicked off and it was in one of the railroads yards. Just to let you know my dad works for NS. But I think they could call the police because my dad was off duty.

Please don't take pictures of me working around the bellevue,fremont,toledo area with my dad. I want to get the job done safely.

As a trackman their are more risks than being on an engine so now you know why

Last edited by King Air; 02-11-2008 at 02:00 AM.
King Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #87
Peter MacCauley

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've experienced the full range of railroad employees- most are genuinely nice (even telling me of other trains in the area), but the odd few seem to take their job waaaay too seriously. Sounds to me like an emforcement officer went on a bit of a power trip. It's happened to me before.

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #88
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
Are there any railroad employees that would like to comment? I'm curious as to what they think.

I know it s bit after the fact but I'll answer,

I dont like having my picture taken when i'm at work without my permission, and no simply working on the railroad / outside is not permission for you to take my picture, however, I dont mind talking to some foamers every once in awhile... but stay the hell away from where I am working. I dont need to be thinking about where you are, along with my student when we are working. While you may know much about railroading you dont know enough and its my ass if you get hurt. I'm a nice enough guy, I'll tell you about almost anything you want to know, but if you appear to be endangering your own safety or mine I will ask you to leave once.

And also if you want to exercise your right to take pictures of me, dont get all pissy when i take pictures of you!!! As was said of me, you are out in the open and I have a legal right to be where I am so you are fair game! (bullshit rationalization, along with the office one) You may be on public property but you are photographing private property

This guy in the NS garb with the video camera proceeded to scream naughty things at me while jumping up and down and giving me a not-so-photogenic hand signal

EDIT: It is not wise to sneak up on a conductor who is working alone in the middle of nowhere. We get VERY AGGITATED people that approach us or blocking X crossing longer than they would have liked, and you may just get a lit fusee in your face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_00022.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	2418  

Last edited by Burner50; 01-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #89
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50
I dont like having my picture taken when i'm at work without my permission, and no simply working on the railroad / outside is not permission for you to take my picture,
I know it can be tough when you work in a position where there are many interested in it. You probably would rather just do your job as safely and as quickly as you can without some moron with a camera pointed at you. I'm actually on both sides of the issue. Many times, I'm the moron with the camera; other times, I'm having the camera pointed at me.

Everyone is different, but I try to stay away from folks as much as I cn. But if I see a conductor throwing switches or an egineer peering out of a window to see behind or in front of him, I'm liable to take a picture. The way I see it, as much as youmay not like it, if you arer outside where I can see you, I can take your picture. Sorry, you don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

Now I do this photography bit as a hobby and for a living. So I try to read body language or facial expressions. If I'm shooting a scene and it is plainly evident that someone does not want their picture taken, then I don't do it. On the other hand, if I'm shooting for TV news and you're at an accident scene, I'm shooting all the video I can to save my own butt from my boss. I could tell you a story of a photographer who shot a man behind the yellow tape -- meaning the photographer was where he was supposed ot be -- and it ended up causing the man behind the tape and his father, the police chief, a world of hurt.

I've had people come up and good naturedly tell me they don't want to have their picture taken. Guess what? I usually oblige them. If it's my daytime gig, I do what I can within reason. If it's for my hobby, there's no reason for me to take someone's picture when clearly they wish otherwise. But it's how they approach me that usually helps me decide. Just like railfans are told all the time to be nice and considerate to LEOs and security men who approach them, the same should be said of rails.

Bottom line is, I am not there to impede anyone from doing their job. Personally, I'm not there to meet railroaders or even other railfans. I'm just there to have fun and hopefully take some good photographs.

Joe
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #90
Burner50

Let me clarify... Taking pics of an engine, no problem... Taking pics of me working I have a problem there.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #91
JimThias

burner, would you have a problem if you were one of the people "working" in these pictures?

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 212203
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 209332
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 194040
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 193433
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 190304
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 188121
Photograph © Jim Thias

Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #92
rustyrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
burner, would you have a problem if you were one of the people "working" in these pictures?
Pardon me for answering for burner, but considering that you took those photos, he probably doesn't mind. I mean, what employee wouldn't want to be caught working or not working in an authentic Jim Thais photo?
rustyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #93
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
Pardon me for answering for burner, but considering that you took those photos, he probably doesn't mind. I mean, what employee wouldn't want to be caught working or not working in an authentic Jim Thais photo?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #94
Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 212203
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 209332
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 194040
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 193433
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 190304
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 188121
Photograph © Jim Thias

IDK maybe you guys dont understand But the way management is anymore, I dont like anybody taking pictures of me working on the ground. IDK who you are or what your intentions are with that picture. If i'm in an engine and you cant see thru the tint nobody knows who it is. But when there is a pic posted where you can see my face I'm a little leery.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #95
JRMDC

It seems like people are piling on Burner just a bit. He is welcome not to want pix taken of him!

Of course, he should also understand that, if a photog is on public property, permission is not needed. (For commercial use, of course, a model release is needed.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #96
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

Quote:
It seems like people are piling on Burner just a bit. He is welcome not to want pix taken of him!
I agree with him to a point, I do my best to not get any worker in the photo, or if I must I try to make it so they are turned away from me, so you cannot see their face. Now with that said, I have had the engineer come out in front of the nose of the train a few times, wave and hold the wave like he expected me to take his picture, and I did not, so he looked at me kind of confused. The only time I generally will take a workers picture is if they are standing there for a roll by, or they are doing something so awesome like welding rail and they never happen to turn their head from my general direction, and perhaps riding on the rear of the train when it is shoving back. I try to respect the workers by not shoving my camera in their face all the time.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #97
SDavey

As a rule of thumb I usually try to crop out railroad employees such as conductors or shoot the photos without them in them as often as possible. The only exception I can think of is a NS local job at Delray Junction in Detroit that uses a N&W Caboose for the shove back between yards, but I always got a wave back from the crews. Most of the railroad employees and police officers Iíve had contact with on both Class 1ís and shortlines have been alright with be shooting photos.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #98
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I'll second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50
IDK maybe you guys dont understand But the way management is anymore, I dont like anybody taking pictures of me working on the ground. IDK who you are or what your intentions are with that picture. If i'm in an engine and you cant see thru the tint nobody knows who it is. But when there is a pic posted where you can see my face I'm a little leery.
People in all lines of work get their pictures taken on a daily basis and posted on the internet. Why is railroading any different? I've had pictures of me working posted and I don't care one bit.

If I ever post a picture of you working and then you ask me to remove it, I will respectfully do so.

And one other thing, we've all seen the classic black and white photos from the "old days" of railroading. It's a good thing photographers were there to take those photos because we'd NEVER know what it was like. How is modern day photography of people working any different? Unless someone is breaking a rule in the shot and could possibly be disciplined by their employer, then I don't see a problem with it. I've often asked RR employees who post on other sites if the employee in the picture I've taken is doing anything wrong, and if I get a "no," then the picture is free to be shown (unless the person in the photo requests otherwise). If a rule is being broken, I won't post it. If someone alerts me that one of my shots portrays an employee breaking a rule, I will remove it. I have NO intentions of getting anyone in trouble while they do their job, but at the same time, there is a human element to railroading that I feel can and SHOULD be shown to some degree. Same can be said for any job. If somene wants to take my picture while I'm working, feel free.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #99
ccaranna

Quote:
People in all lines of work get their pictures taken on a daily basis and posted on the internet. Why is railroading any different?
It has to do with safety and procedures. Interpretation of the rules has a lot to do with it.

Quote:
I've had pictures of me working posted and I don't care one bit.
What's your job?

Quote:
And one other thing, we've all seen the classic black and white photos from the "old days" of railroading. It's a good thing photographers were there to take those photos because we'd NEVER know what it was like.
That's why it's called the "good old days". It probably was a situation where a railfan got an employee in trouble and/or someone was hurt and then they promptly sued the railroad. Thanks to that, it screwed over the generations that followed.

Quote:
How is modern day photography of people working any different?
This isn't the 1950s. Deal.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #100
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
It has to do with safety and procedures. Interpretation of the rules has a lot to do with it.
Fair enough. If someone is breaking a rule in a photo, it shouldn't be posted. I can respect that.

Quote:
What's your job?
DJ

Quote:
That's why it's called the "good old days". It probably was a situation where a railfan got an employee in trouble and/or someone was hurt and then they promptly sued the railroad. Thanks to that, it screwed over the generations that followed.
WHAT was "probably a situation?" Are you citing something that happened at a specific time that led to photos of people working being off limits? Please elaborate.

Quote:
This isn't the 1950s. Deal.
Right, that's what they'll be saying in 50-100 years from now, too.