Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #26
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
This member decided to share his pictures here:

And this guy replies thus:

Dude, you are a complete and utter DICK. Must be lonely at the top.
Sorry if the truth hurts, dude.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #27
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I wouldn't qualify those are wedgie shots, but as roster shots of the trains motive power which I find completely pointless. 99% of the time that type of shot sucks.
IMO, the problem with #1 is that it doesn't show all the power. Instead it's cut off almost randomly, it appears.

#2 is simply uninteresting, a couple of backlit (!!) GEs pulling coal hoppers that are cut off just a few cars behind the locomotives. It would have been okay had the consist been something special or unusually long, such as...

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 220653
Photograph © Carl Becker

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 AM   #28
jnohallman

Quote:
Sorry if the truth hurts, dude.
Well, obviously at least one of the screeners here didn't find the shots worthless, and didn't think they sucked. Does that mean that the screeners are morons too? Maybe you should consider the possibility that you aren't the sole arbiter of truth . . .

Some truisms to ponder:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #29
Flowing

The two shots I had posted as my examples of 'wedgies' were both from 2004, before I gave much thought to lighting and composition or had developed my own style. I don't take shots like those these days and I doubt RP would accept them if I did (remember that the screening process had lower standards several years ago). I don't think they're good shots (now) either but I will leave them in the database as a testament to how my skills have developed and how RP's acceptance standards have increased, and for answering questions like 'what is a wedgie,' such as the case in this thread.

Thanks to those who took up for me; Mike B is entitled to his opinion, though. We all are. I responded with my opinions to this thread to offer a different viewpoint on what is and isn't considered a 'wedgie.' I expected most to disagree, but it was my intention to show how subjective a term it is.

Last edited by Flowing; 11-10-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #30
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Well, obviously at least one of the screeners here didn't find the shots worthless, and didn't think they sucked. Does that mean that the screeners are morons too? Maybe you should consider the possibility that you aren't the sole arbiter of truth . . .

Some truisms to ponder:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Jon
Those two shots were accepted back in 2004 when the standards for this site were much lower. If they got accepted today I would certainly call the screener a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing
Thanks to those who took up for me; Mike B is entitled to his opinion, though. We all are. I responded with my opinions to this thread to offer a different viewpoint on what is and isn't considered a 'wedgie.' I expected most to disagree, but it was my intention to show how subjective a term it is.
Did you ever stop to think why the term 'wedgie' was coined? Is it possible that a wedgie consists of some specific? The term 'wedgie' is subjective, but not 100% subjective so if you want to understand what it actually means you must follow some rough guidelines. You can't just decide what it means entirely on your own. Those photos you supplied do not follow the vague guidelines at all.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #31
rustyrail

Quote:
Did you ever stop to think why the term 'wedgie' was coined? Is it possible that a wedgie consists of some specific? The term 'wedgie' is subjective, but not 100% subjective so if you want to understand what it actually means you must follow some rough guidelines. You can't just decide what it means entirely on your own. Those photos you supplied do not follow the vague guidelines at all.
Ah yes, but YOU can decide what it means for everyone else. Now I see.

I'm guessing not everyone subscribes to the "World of Train Photography According to Mike B".
rustyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #32
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Dude, you are a complete and utter DICK. Must be lonely at the top.
Quote:
Those two shots were accepted back in 2004 when the standards for this site were much lower. If they got accepted today I would certainly call the screener a moron.
Agreed, Mike. Those shots met par back then and certainly don't now. John's an exceptional photographer and knows this thus he submits quality images now so the namecalling was unnecessary.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 11-11-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Ah yes, but YOU can decide what it means for everyone else. Now I see.

I'm guessing not everyone subscribes to the "World of Train Photography According to Mike B".
I didn't decide what it means. I just learned what the actual meaning behind the term was. See the difference?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

Not to jump on sides here, as I really have no bias here... but the point is well taken, you cannot choose to make your own definitions for language. Once you begin to do so, language begins to become meaningless.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #35
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
you cannot choose to make your own definitions for language. Once you begin to do so, language begins to become meaningless.
Not really . . . it's that kind of thing that makes language change, not become meaningless. After all, who decided that gay didn't mean happy anymore? Or that awful (originally awe-full, so to speak) and awesome don't mean the same thing, even though they essentially used to? Sorry this is a bit off topic, but people have been changing the meaning of things in our language for centuries . . .

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #36
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Not really . . . it's that kind of thing that makes language change, not become meaningless. After all, who decided that gay didn't mean happy anymore? Or that awful (originally awe-full, so to speak) and awesome don't mean the same thing, even though they essentially used to? Sorry this is a bit off topic, but people have been changing the meaning of things in our language for centuries . . .

Jon
The example you give does not apply here.

That is not a single person unilaterally trying to change the meaning in an on-line forum... That is a large group of people, over time, adding an additional meaning to a word, by using it in their social group over a long period of time, until it was introduced into the larger population, and then introduced into the media. That's a very different thing than what we are discussing here, in which a single person said, hey, I have a different meaning for that word.

Last edited by Freericks; 11-12-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #37
jnohallman

It still has to start with someone . . . Now, I'm not advocating that in this case.

Jon

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #38
Freericks
Met Fan

Talking

Quote:
It still has to start with someone . . . Now, I'm not advocating that in this case.

Jon
Okay... this is a tomato.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Yorba Linda CA caboose.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3511  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
This is a wedgie for what I am concerned.

I think I went out with his sister!

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #40
jnohallman

Quote:
It meets one of my color requirements for a tomato!

Jon

Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 AM   #41
Carl Becker

Quote:
Well... this is a hot dog.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 AM   #42
jnohallman

Where's the bun?

Jon