Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #101
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post

Mitch, "it's news" is fine but keep the standards used for most contributors to keep the integrity of the site up to a high level and it will also avoid many favoritism feelings from being created,
My 2 cents, Rich
Precisely - this whole heritage unit saga and the way the screeners have treated the shots submitted has made me feel distinctly 2nd class because I happen to live somewhere other than the U.S.

Either apply the standards equally to everyones shots or don't apply them at all.
If you relax the standards for 'newsworthy items' make that the same for the whole world, not just the U.S. or simply judge all shots on their photographic merit alone.

Make it a level playing field for everyone or make the site U.S. only, remove all 'foreign' shots and we'll find a game elsewhere.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #102
mark woody

[Make it a level playing field for everyone or make the site U.S. only, remove all 'foreign' shots and we'll find a game elsewhere.[/quote]

WOW Stephen, cool off man. You have a great portfolio of shots on RP.
I am also a foreign contributor and don't think this is a good attitude to have, sure the views aren't as high but I don't expect them to be, average viewers over seas don't recognise special or pleasing local content like fellow countrymen do, as indeed you dislike the US heritage shots. I find the heritage shots very interesting and unlike Jim don't go OCD over tiny faults, I also don't think the site is somehow downgraded by any of the accepted heritage shots and treat my rejects as a guide to do better not as a "why did that get on and not mine exercise".
Mark.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #103
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Unless you have been at any of these shoots, I'm not sure how you can say with any certainity that Casey has any ability to create the ideal shot.
Are you suggesting that he couldn't take a minute to pull some weeds?

Quote:
While it's obvious he could not control every aspect of every oppurtuity, it's also pretty evident he didn't just wander up, snap a few shots and be done with it.
So you're saying he had time to pull some weeds then?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #104
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
[Make it a level playing field for everyone or make the site U.S. only, remove all 'foreign' shots and we'll find a game elsewhere.

WOW Stephen, cool off man. You have a great portfolio of shots on RP.
I am also a foreign contributor and don't think this is a good attitude to have, sure the views aren't as high but I don't expect them to be, average viewers over seas don't recognise special or pleasing local content like fellow countrymen do, as indeed you dislike the US heritage shots. I find the heritage shots very interesting and unlike Jim don't go OCD over tiny faults, I also don't think the site is somehow downgraded by any of the accepted heritage shots and treat my rejects as a guide to do better not as a "why did that get on and not mine exercise".
Mark.
Thanks Mark.

I have always accepted that the number of views for my shots will be lower and don't have a problem with that.
I also happen to like the shots of the NS heritage units - I'm not familiar with all the liveries so its interesting to see what they were like.
I'm not even that bothered about tiny bits of grass obscuring the underframes.
What I am bothered with is the seeming suspension of normal screening 'rules' because a) It's newsworthy and b) These are effectively NS publicity shots. Did NS pay the site for the privilege ? I don't know. If they did (and the site owners are quite entitled to accept payment if they wish) then I expect they can put up what they want, but that is a game changer as far as this site is concerned.
If they didn't pay, then some (and only some, not many) of those heritage shots should not have been accepted, period, they are not of good enough quality.
"The BEST railroad photos on the net" is the sites byline. Not "The most up to date railroad news on the net"

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #105
Joe the Photog

Jim;

I don't see the weeds as being the huge problem that you and some others evidently see. I'm guessing Casey didn't see them as a problem either.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #106
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
but that is a game changer as far as this site is concerned.
A "game changer"? Really?

Gosh, from reading this thread, it seems that some people perceive RP screening as having been essentially flawless up until the NS heritage wave! (Exaggeration; as I routinely say to my son these days, don't be so literal.)

And it appears several people have forgotten previous episodes of somewhat-(or not really that much)- subpar-"news"-shots appearing on RP before.

But, aside from that, a "game changer"????

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #107
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

But, aside from that, a "game changer"????
Allowing any shot on for a payment - if true, yes, I'd say that changed the rules fundamentally.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #108
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I pay $5/month and they don't let any of my shots on. How much do I have to pay?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #109
Joe the Photog

You know, I thought I had no life. But you guys that keep bitching and moaning about these heritage shots need to either 1.) get drunk, 2.) get laid or 3.) just get over it. It's really sad. We're now talking about weeds that barely cover up any of the bottom of the wheels of the NYC unit. Get over it already!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #110
JRMDC

Quote:
Allowing any shot on for a payment - if true, yes, I'd say that changed the rules fundamentally.
You Make The Call!

"any" shot
vs.
a few shots that may fall just a bit short of RP custom

any shot on for a payment (by anyone, at anytime, of any quality?)
vs.
a special situation, where we don't even know the nature of any payment that may or may not have occurred

RP stretches the rules a bit, according to some (and others would say this is not really a stretch compared to previous "news" shots)
vs.
RP has gone to the dogs

OK, OK, the last thing we need is Mitch chiming in (yet again! yet again!) that RP in fact refuses to go to the dogs

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #111
nikos1

The photos obviously attract alot of viewers, and hence alot of ad revenue, hence why they are accepted even with flaws. (None have been major enough to warrant a rejection IMO)
It may not be fair but its a good business strategy.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #112
JimThias

Quote:
Jim;

I don't see the weeds as being the huge problem that you and some others evidently see. I'm guessing Casey didn't see them as a problem either.
I guess I'm just a more detail-oriented photographer than most.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #113
JimThias

Quote:
You know, I thought I had no life. But you guys that keep bitching and moaning about these heritage shots need to either 1.) get drunk, 2.) get laid or 3.) just get over it. It's really sad. We're now talking about weeds that barely cover up any of the bottom of the wheels of the NYC unit. Get over it already!
Joe, are you honestly telling me to get drunk and get laid? That's rich, man.

Last edited by JimThias; 05-24-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #114
JimThias

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 398644
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

What, he couldn't pick up that trash in the foreground???

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #115
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

I was going to say he could have at least planted some grass or something! Maybe painted that building, too.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #116
bigiron

Quote:
I was going to say he could have at least planted some grass or something! Maybe painted that building, too.

Umm, I am thinking there was grass there and he had MOW scrape it all away after reading this thread . That is of course most of it except for the section missed in front of the rear truck.

Gotta have a sense of humor to go with the flow at times.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #117
Freericks
Met Fan

Is Nit-Pickers Anonymous for you?

Only you can decide whether you want to give N.P.A. a try — whether you think it can help you

We who are in N.P.A. came because we finally gave up trying to control our complaining about tiny little nits.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #118
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

I thought real estate was all about LOCATION, LOCATION, but thanks to Jim I now see it is about DETAIL and of course LEVEL, and I am sure in Jim's job it IS and just as sure he is very GOOD at it, and carries this over to this hobby.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #119
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Is Nit-Pickers Anonymous for you?

Only you can decide whether you want to give N.P.A. a try whether you think it can help you

We who are in N.P.A. came because we finally gave up trying to control our complaining about tiny little nits.
I sure need it sometimes.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #120
Chad Chadderson

I want to make a comment here. For all those that are so upset by a few weeds (trees vs forest), did you ever stop to think it isn't Mr, Thomason's property to start blazing away with lawn equipment?

I must thank everyone, including some of the "old school photographers" on this forum and other email lists for providing such great entertainment. The sheer jealousy that has reared it ugly head proves this isn't an enjoyable hobby for most.

Group Foamer Therapy better be available in early July. I'm concerned some of you may pop a blood vessel being in the presence of all 20 heritage units. I only ask that when you drop like a rock, you'll be considerate enough not to be foreground clutter in my photos.

Last, but certainly NOT least is are huge THANK YOUs!!! to NS for tackling this project, Mr. Casey Thomason for spending months on the roads to bring all of us the first photos of these grand schemes, and to railpictures.net for hosting the unveilings in a free-to-the-public venue with fullsize images, not just a thumbnail.

Have an EPIC day.
Chad Chadderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #121
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Chadderson View Post
I want to make a comment here. For all those that are so upset by a few weeds (trees vs forest), did you ever stop to think it isn't Mr, Thomason's property to start blazing away with lawn equipment?

I must thank everyone, including some of the "old school photographers" on this forum and other email lists for providing such great entertainment. The sheer jealousy that has reared it ugly head proves this isn't an enjoyable hobby for most.

Group Foamer Therapy better be available in early July. I'm concerned some of you may pop a blood vessel being in the presence of all 20 heritage units. I only ask that when you drop like a rock, you'll be considerate enough not to be foreground clutter in my photos.

Last, but certainly NOT least is are huge THANK YOUs!!! to NS for tackling this project, Mr. Casey Thomason for spending months on the roads to bring all of us the first photos of these grand schemes, and to railpictures.net for hosting the unveilings in a free-to-the-public venue with fullsize images, not just a thumbnail.

Have an EPIC day.
Welcome to the RP Forums!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #122
oltmannd

Quote:
Thanks Mark.

These are effectively NS publicity shots. Did NS pay the site for the privilege ? I don't know.
I doubt they paid a cent. These pictures drive a lot of traffic to the web site. NS gets the publicity, the site owners get ad revenue.

It's just business.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #123
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Chadderson View Post

Well Chad welcome to the forum and since you were so eager to make your first post a mouthful let me comment on the above quote. You come off as a bit "green behind the ears" in your "jealousy" statement as well as the "isn't enjoyable for most". I think I can speak for most here as this thread was not started or fueled from jealousy as you feel but from our experiences submitting shots to RP and just having a trained eye in spotting items that are grounds for "rejects" as per our experiences here. Most of us actually enjoy the hobby and having a great forum to have constructive criticism is a way that only makes this site better and our pictures higher quality. I'm certainly not jealous of the shots in question as you just can't expect to have the time to be present for all "newsworthy shots" but do have experience from submitting pictures here and posted my thoughts. I wonder have you submitted shots to this site yet or plan on doing so? If you haven't then I think you are missing a big point of the thread and will learn more about what we've learned and experienced if you take the time to submit shots , IMO.

Let me say it again and please members correct me if I'm wrong, most of us enjoy the hobby and some heritage shots aren't going to change that or the frustrations of how shots are judged. Not everything is honkie dorry all the time and it's good to see both sides of the opinion spectrum and learn from it. Some of us are opinionated and that is a far cry from not enjoying the hobby.

My 2 cents, have a splendid day, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #124
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Let me say it again and please members correct me if I'm wrong, most of us enjoy the hobby and some heritage shots aren't going to change that or the frustrations of how shots are judged.
Actually, this thread has, indeed, caused serious damage! I have it on extremely good authority that Jim Thias is all broken up about RP having gone to the weeds, and I suspect he won't be able to pull himself together again until some major event like, say, the Cubs winning the series. So sad, so sad; he was such a good photographer. And we need him here to keep us all on level ground!

[For the benefit of any Canadians, the Cubs thing is equivalent to a Canadian team winning the Cup. Or so it seems. ]

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #125
Chad Chadderson

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Welcome to the RP Forums!

Thanks Dennis! Long time lurker, decided it was time to post a little too. Might even start uploading a few images soon.
Chad Chadderson is offline   Reply With Quote