Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
matth

Cool Tear it to shreds...

I recently got this shot rejected:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=441087266

I was attempting to push the envelope (for myself) and get a retro looking shot of an Amtrak train stopping at the ex-GM&O station in Springfield, IL. I liked the moody feel that I was able to get with the lifting fog and the sepia B/W settings. I was trying to emulate some of the stuff that I have seen AB2 shoot. I suppose that I would have had more luck getting the shot accepted if the 261 had been on the train. Anyway, I am soliticiting any and all input both on the shot itself and how I could upon improve things were I to attempt another shot.

I have placed myself into "thick skin mode" so fire away!

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I don't think the sepia works for this one. Try standard black and white and try again. I like the framing and composition and the people in the shot add to it.

Joe
Old 06-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth
I was attempting to push the envelope (for myself) and get a retro looking shot of an Amtrak train stopping at the ex-GM&O station in Springfield, IL.
There is nothing retro about people in shorts.

There is nothing retro about this shot, in general, which makes the sepia treatment a bit "off" to my eye. There are some shots which have somewhat of a retro feel and then the sepia enhances that, but I don't see that feel here.

Quote:
I liked the moody feel that I was able to get with the lifting fog and the sepia B/W settings.
The fog is somewhat evident in the left side of the frame but the right side just looks like dark overcast. The large expanse of the concrete in the foreground in particular takes away from that foggy feel.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Per your request, I printed up this picture, then shredded it to bits.

In all seriousness, I concur on the pure B&W. Foggy shots generally look particularly eerie in B&W.

I also see you were able to go get a shot out there. I was out 'til 3 AM that morning getting shots like this.
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 239441
Photograph © Mike W.

I figured it was going to be foggy due to the ridiculous humidity that night (I had my wipers on, but there was no rain). I set the alarm for 6 AM, woke up, saw fog, but my body wouldn't let me get up to go get shots after 3 hours of sleep.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Slopes09; 06-16-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
matth

Thumbs up Wow...

Mike,

I think you were wiser to stay up and take the night shots. I should have thought about the possibility of fog, but the main thing on my mind was to catch the last eastbound NS train to make it across the Mississippi before the line was closed due to flooding. It quickly became apparent as the morning progressed that the NS was already shutdown. So I got desperate and started hunting down Amtraks.

Nice to see such a great shot from Villa Grove. I grew up in ex-C&EI territory.

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
BNSF6048

I tried this once and got rejected for Digital Manipulation.
BNSF6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth
Mike,

I think you were wiser to stay up and take the night shots. I should have thought about the possibility of fog, but the main thing on my mind was to catch the last eastbound NS train to make it across the Mississippi before the line was closed due to flooding. It quickly became apparent as the morning progressed that the NS was already shutdown. So I got desperate and started hunting down Amtraks.

Nice to see such a great shot from Villa Grove. I grew up in ex-C&EI territory.
That's a bummer. Me and fellow RP contributor Wesley Fane decided to try out lightning/night photography, and started out at Tolono but found nothing. We had seen some flashes out toward Villa Grove, but alas, it was farther away. Villa Grove was pretty busy, probably because of flood reroutes. Unfortunately, that extreme humidity caused all the lights to flare out really badly, and this was one of the few good shots I got. We still got some good practice with night photography, which neither of us had very good experience with. Needless to say, we found out that humidity w/out fog is bad for night photography, and that Villa Grove would normally be a very good spot.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote