Old 09-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan
Default Once again, I gotta do this.

Poor esthetic quality

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=213209249
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=578105&key=0

But

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...251641&nseq=13

I know people hate it when someone compares their rejected pictures to pictures that got accepted to the database, but I can't beleive this picture got accepted. The third engine is cut off, there is dead space to the right, it is grainy, and not that much of a glint shot.
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

There is just not a lot of glint in the first shot and on the second shot I only see glint on the car behind the engine. I wouldnt say that Kevins shot has dead space as it leads the eye down the track to the signals. I am not the best on giving criticism so we will see what others have to say.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
bigbassloyd

Not really enough glint to make it appealing. Lots of giant dark blobs.

Shot 1 - Where's the locomotive end, and the background / ground begin?

Shot 2 - Where's the bottom of the train end, and the ground begin?

One thing I've learned about these types of shots, you gotta have separation between the train, and the surroundings.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

So shooting around a curve for glint shots in the end is not a good idea?
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Railfan
Poor esthetic quality

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=213209249
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=578105&key=0

But

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...251641&nseq=13

I know people hate it when someone compares their rejected pictures to pictures that got accepted to the database, but I can't beleive this picture got accepted. The third engine is cut off, there is dead space to the right, it is grainy, and not that much of a glint shot.

Not that much of a glint? What more do you want? I think it's quite a nice shot, nice color, lots of reflective (glint) light. Think what glint means, I'm not trying to be an asshole here but honestly, think outside of the railroad photography buzz here for a second. When the sun hit's something pretty shiny and that sun somehow finds it's way directly into your pupil and blinds the piss outta' ya, don't you call that a glint? Your shots are backlit and DARK. And your Amtrak shot looks grainy to me, please, PLEASE PLEASE don't call out peoples shots, it's not nice nor polite. Like I said, the accepted shot has some really nice orange color, lines leading to the signals, good shot.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
So shooting around a curve for glint shots in the end is not a good idea?
This is on a curve..............

Image © J Douglas Moore
PhotoID: 245197
Photograph © J Douglas Moore

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
nikos1

The accepted shot has nothing to do with these two shots.
However i really like the second one, i think you did a good job seperating the train from the background on that one.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Joey Bowman

I also really like your 2nd shot. It feels like it is leaning just the tiniest bit to the right but other than that I really like it, its a shame it didn't get accepted.

What really stands out to me about that shot is the marker lights on the engine, with out them on I think it may be boring and probably wouldn't have any appeal to me at all.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I think they're just a little too dark to be glint shots, but I like them none the less. They headlight is a great addition.

Not knowing the location, I would say the lighting on the curve was too neutral and that is why you did not get much of a glint. Even though I know you need neutral lighting in some capacity to create such an effect.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Dear CR: STFU.

Kindest Regards -
- Nick -
Old 09-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
PLEASE PLEASE don't call out peoples shots, it's not nice nor polite.
I'm going to call out Ben for calling out Chicago for calling out Kevin...

Making comparisons between shots is an excellent way to learn about photography! How many times have we recommended to newbies here that they spend time looking at accepted shots? Isn't there an implicit - and at least a few times explicit - intention that the photographer compare his own shots to the accepted ones and figure out the difference?

I think Chicago made two mistakes here. First, he chose the comparison shot poorly. As Nikos said, "the accepted shot has nothing to do with these two shots." Kevin's is a glint, Chicago's are as much silhouette as glint, with both dimensions poorly done. I suspect that is the essence of the problem, in fact; those two things may not mix well.

The second thing is how he described Kevin's shot. I have a degree of agreement with him, as to me, it is a boring glint wedgie with lots of dead space. But it is a decent shot and easily qualifies for the database and Chicago is wrong to trash it. Better just to say "here's a shot that is in, mine is rejected, why?" then to draw the additional judgment.

Here's a nice Kevin glint:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Ben, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, comparisons between shots is a good thing.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
Dear CR: STFU.

Kindest Regards -
- Nick -
Hey Chris K, how much would I have to pay to get this as a banner ad? =)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:

I know people hate it when someone compares their rejected pictures to pictures that got accepted to the database, but I can't beleive this picture got accepted.
And that is why YOURS got rejected.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I know J, but there's a comparison where you stated comparing to the accepted and figuring it out and just plain on "the borderline" calling it out AND criticizing a photo, which in my opinion thought that he did. I am 100% in the go ahead for guiding the 'noobs into comparing with their own, but not to say "How in the lord did this get in, it looks so grainy! Now I'm going to complain about mine and his!"

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I'm going to call out Ben for calling out Chicago for calling out Kevin...

Making comparisons between shots is an excellent way to learn about photography! How many times have we recommended to newbies here that they spend time looking at accepted shots? Isn't there an implicit - and at least a few times explicit - intention that the photographer compare his own shots to the accepted ones and figure out the difference?

I think Chicago made two mistakes here. First, he chose the comparison shot poorly. As Nikos said, "the accepted shot has nothing to do with these two shots." Kevin's is a glint, Chicago's are as much silhouette as glint, with both dimensions poorly done. I suspect that is the essence of the problem, in fact; those two things may not mix well.

The second thing is how he described Kevin's shot. I have a degree of agreement with him, as to me, it is a boring glint wedgie with lots of dead space. But it is a decent shot and easily qualifies for the database and Chicago is wrong to trash it. Better just to say "here's a shot that is in, mine is rejected, why?" then to draw the additional judgment.

Here's a nice Kevin glint:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Ben, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, comparisons between shots is a good thing.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Anyone find it kind of odd that everytime someone calls out a photographer they always call out one who doesnt post in the forums?

Freaky.....
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
I know J, but there's a comparison where you stated comparing to the accepted and figuring it out and just plain on "the borderline" calling it out AND criticizing a photo, which in my opinion thought that he did. I am 100% in the go ahead for guiding the 'noobs into comparing with their own, but not to say "How in the lord did this get in, it looks so grainy! Now I'm going to complain about mine and his!"

Ben
I agree. He didn't post the accepted shot for comparitive advice, he posted it to call out the image for being accepted when his inferior shots were rejected. I think the poster opens himself up for scrutiny when doing so, newbie or not.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote