Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
ClinchValley

Default Georgia Southwest - Dawson

Does anyone have any info on the GSW in Dawson? Where does the line run? Regular scheduled jobs? Busy or not so much?
ClinchValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

I was under the impression the jobs down there were based out of Cuthbert, which is west of Dawson, but may be wrong. Regardless, that portion of the line is a hub for locals in the southwestern quadrant of the GSWR. Operations out of there are locals headed for Albany via Smithville, Bainbridge, and Eufala. It can definitely be busy. On duty times that I have heard seem to indicate a mid afternoon start for these locals out of Cuthbert, but I've also been told they may can along the way and the crew's start will be driving out to where the train is, especially on the Bainbridge line.

This is secondhand info for me. Nikos, can you help out more?

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
ClinchValley

Sitting outside the engine house this morning.

I wonder how well it runs. Was told it was originally built for the original shortline NS. Tiny looking fuel tank.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
nikos1

I'm unsure on the days of operation but heres the rundown, I stumbled into all of this wandering around after getting screwed by the Georgia Florida.
GSWR runs a Cuthbert - Albany turn (CAT-04) which is based out of Cuthbert as Mike said. It will run to Albany in the morning, train was pulling at 7 and headed east. Got to Smithville around 2PM (track speed is 25mph but in the summer they are limited to 10 during the hottest part of the day). At Smithville is where the real show begins. At 3PM they had the train on the NS main and the geeps roaring towards Albany, track speed is 50 MPH so very hard to keep up with the train on the 55 MPH road. Pulling into Albany at 3:30. Set off their cut of cars and got theirs from NS, came back north through Leesburg at 5:30, pulling into Smithville at 5:50. Depending on how short on hours the crew is they will either tie it down at Smithville or in the NS yard in Albany. Next day they will head back to Cuthbert, switching along the way and tie it down in Cuthbert.

Bainbridge train is daily I think. When I was there intercepted it at Edison going north at 1:22, Cuthbert at 2:30. Switched Cuthbert for atleast an hour more but I didnt stick around for the trip south since I had to get back to Albany for the NS streetrunning.

Dawson has an assigned switcher for the peanut factory or whatever that is, ussualy a lone GP9

Eufala turn goes west out of Cuthbert in the morning and then comes back mid day. Inaccesible line and the light angles are pretty backwards too.

Unsure about power situation down there but I think there is still atleast one BAYL and one GSWR painted unit should still be down there. Let us know if you find anything out about the HAL, not many details have emerged about their opps but its safe to say getting the Albany streetrunning is alot harder now.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
ClinchValley

I found out today the crews at Dawson go on duty at 3pm now. We'll see how many crews there are.

In addition to the red/yellow GP38 I posted above, there are two SD40's in the house. Two BAYL GP38 and the blue/white GP38 at the house also. I believe I saw a low nose Geep (GP10?) sitting down the track a bit.

I'll ask about the HAL and post any info I get.

Thanks for the update.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
nikos1

The CAT-04 goes on duty at 3? That sucks if thats the case, probably be no good lighting then, the light was awesome for the morning chase on the GSWR going east and for the fast run back up the NS in the evening. Good to hear that both the BAYL and GSWR unit that went to Panama City escaping without being assimilated!

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
ClinchValley

Well Nik, the Albany Turn did go on duty at 3. After swtching Smithville they made it into NS yard at 8. The job from HAL came in at the same time, so you had two G&W jobs in the yard at the same time (but nobody working on NS). They left NS about 9:30 and did more switching at Smithville on the way back.
GSWR actually had three jobs going on duty at Dawson at 3pm yesterday. We'll see if that continues. I believe the local yard guy in Dawson is still an early call but it looks like everyone else is late afternoon.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
ClinchValley

They pushed the time for the Cat back to 5pm. I did notice yesterday they took the HAL SD40-2 (3351) over to Albany and leave it there for HAL to pick up. It looks like normal power for this job is the two BAYL GP38's.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
ClinchValley

Last update on the GSWR for me. The two ex VRE RP39-2C (2318 and 2320) are at the Dawson engine house being worked on. I do not know where they will end up.

No more Albany Turn (CAT##). Cars for NS will now be taken to Arlington and picked up by HAL to take to Albany. Of course cars from NS will reverse the route. Not sure how well this will work.

They are spreading ballast on the Lynn Sub, lots of 10mph slow orders on that track they are trying to get rid of.

That's it, time for me to leave Dawson.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
ShortlinesUSA

And the updates have been much appreciated! Please feel free to share observations from your travels as you are able, and your participation here on the Shortlines forum is always welcomed.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote