Old 02-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
bnsf sammy

Default Resolution Help

This photo was rejected for Scan Quality, try scanning at a higer resolution. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=213727 I scanned that photo at 200 dpi. Then, in an attempt to correct the problem I raised the resoultion to 1500 dpi, but there was no noticable difference in the image quality. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=213762 How high do I need to raise the resolution to fix the image quality?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
ddavies

It appears that the problem is not the scan resolution, but the quality of the image itself.

Remember that no matter what resolution you scan at, the final product (image sent to RP) is the same, in the area of a 1 megapixel image. 1024x768 or 800x600, so they should look similar in final form. 200dpi is good enough if you were csanning an 8x10 print, but not if you are scanning a slide (dpi x dimension = pixels).

Have you done unsharp masking of the image?
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #3
bnsf sammy

Thanks for your reply, you explaned it. Strangely enough, I didn't scan this image at all, it came off a digital camera. I tryed submitting a version that was less sharpened but it still got rejected for poor image quality. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=214062 I don't think it is half bad...what do you think? I think I might appeal, but I don't know what to appeal for.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Thanks for your reply, you explaned it. Strangely enough, I didn't scan this image at all, it came off a digital camera. I tryed submitting a version that was less sharpened but it still got rejected for poor image quality. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=214062 I don't think it is half bad...what do you think? I think I might appeal, but I don't know what to appeal for.
The photo mentioned is nicely composed, but simply too blurry. Not sure how it ended up so blurry, but I'd love to see the EXIF data to see if I can tell what went wrong.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
Aaron

Send a message via MSN to Aaron

THE EXIF Data too me does not really make a lot of sense... Like I can figure out the type of camera used shutter speed and ISO rating, but I dont understand a lot of the rest. Could somone explain it to me better

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
The photo mentioned is nicely composed, but simply too blurry. Not sure how it ended up so blurry, but I'd love to see the EXIF data to see if I can tell what went wrong.
This is what I was able to find:

Maker: Nikon
Model: E3200
Exif Version: 0220
Shot Time: 2006:02:12 15:27:09
Digitize Time: 2006:02:12 15:27:09
Compress Rate: 2.0 bits/pixel
F Number: 5.6
Focal Length: 5.80mm
ISO Speed Rate: ISO50
Flash: Flash Used
Light Source: Auto
Exposure Program: Normal

Hope this helps...Chris, do you think if I sharpened the photo a hair, it would have a better chance of being accepted?

Last edited by bnsf sammy; 02-14-2006 at 04:01 AM.
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Hope this helps...Chris, do you think if I sharpened the photo a hair, it would have a better chance of being accepted?
The photo is blurry, not soft. Softness (except for in extreme cases) can be resolved with sharpening, but not blur. As you work more with digital photography, you'll be able to tell the difference between the two -- and it's very hard to describe in words.

A very important piece of information missing in the EXIF data you've posted is the shutter speed, although I can't imagine at f/5.6 and ISO 50 that it was too high. To me, the shot looks like it was taken at a fairly low shutter speed, and you weren't perfectly still, resulting in image blur.

I'm also concerned about the "Compress Rate: 2.0 bits/pixel" entry. I don't know exactly what that means, but if it means your camera is compressing photos as it takes them, you need to find out how to disable that feature.. ASAP!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
THE EXIF Data too me does not really make a lot of sense... Like I can figure out the type of camera used shutter speed and ISO rating, but I dont understand a lot of the rest. Could somone explain it to me better
That's exactly the info I wanted to see.. to see if maybe a low shutter speed, etc. caused the blur issue on Sammy's photo.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
ericb

Something ain't right.. The EXIF data also says the flash fired. There should be no reason to use a flash in this situation. I'd try to turn the flash off for starters...

Also, The white halo along the top edge of the cab roof tells me it's been over sharpened.

Last edited by ericb; 02-14-2006 at 03:31 PM.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
bnsf sammy

I really don't know how to manually control my camera, it isn't one of those fancy ones, just a small digiatal camera that really wasn't made for railfanning. The shutter speed is automatic and is only fast enough to catch trains that are moving less than like 30-40mph. Thanks for the help everyone.

Chris, I don't know either what that compress thing means, let alone disabeling it. Since I wasn't using a tripod, there is a good chance that I did move at the last second before the shot was taken.