Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Help

I'm honestly at an utter and complete loss on these. I do not see a single one of the rejection reasons.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=930599&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=930601&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=383435038

Please let me know if I'm nuts.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
rathman11

First one, not seeing the oversharpened but definitely looks a bit underexposed. I put it into PSE7 and just adjusted right slider in levels down to 235, I think it looks better exposure wise.

Second one could use some CW rotation, again not seeing much with oversharpening. Lighting looks a little harsh though.

Number three has some visible grain in the sky as well as a possible dust spot above the second unit in the sky, just above the building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charles1.jpg (594.6 KB, 118 views)

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Wow... rough day on RP. Santa must be screening 'cuz he's checking the list twice...

Let's check the minute details.
Without verifying with visit to Photoshop in person, I'd say:

First: Ever see the "Clear Eyes" commercial, or is it the allergy commercial?
Everything looks good and THEN they lift a semi-opaque film and it looks even better!
I'd brighten it a bit. Shadow detail may improve the "look" of being less dark, but specifically, the sky seems too dark.

Second: I'd rotate clockwise by a good .5 degrees. More important is the look of the poles appearing to be unlevel. Maybe you can distort the scene and bring them into line - pull the bottom left corner OR, simply appeal after your rotation - it is what it is.

Third: Again - basically if admin says underexpose - just brighten. In this case the sky, again, looks a bit dark. Like a nice bright blue sky behind a semi-opaque film.
Brighten via exposure, brightness, curves, levels, or selective color - lot's of ways to fix it. I'd bring some detail back into the dark trucks too, lest you get "high sun" or not enough detail in the trucks /under the frame.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

One got in - thanks for the help.

Two - I'm not going to try again.

Three - now rejected for cropping. Only think I can think is that the screener thought it was a shot of two locomotives and didn't see the string of baretables in the weeds. Going to give up on this one too, unless someone feels otherwise.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=80041921
Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

Three - now rejected for cropping. Only think I can think is that the screener thought it was a shot of two locomotives and didn't see the string of baretables in the weeds. Going to give up on this one too, unless someone feels otherwise.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=80041921
Go for it - though I assume for the most part you are documenting what you saw more then anxious to show off your better material. I have done it myself, mixed in among the diesel wedges.

For number 2, it's the poles. If you don't correct it, the reason for it's rejection.... well, it will be your own damn vault. You likely will have to either return to the location and push each pole into alignment with your truck or stretch /skew the bottom left out or the top right in.

For number 3, bad crop monster eats centered images for lunch.
Reposition and the crop monster will lose his appetite.

/Mitch
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Go for it - though I assume for the most part you are documenting what you saw more then anxious to show off your better material. I have done it myself, mixed in among the diesel wedges.
Better material - not so? I really am a railfan who takes pictures of trains, as opposed to one of the photographers on this site. For me, it is about the train, so those are shots that I'm proud of, not an attempt to show everything I took.

I like L Beebe's work.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Well I'm just sucking tonight all over --

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=930644&key=0

Which way? If you go CW the train looks funny. If you CCW everything is completely wrong.

CF

Never ascribe to an opponent motives meaner than your own. J.M. Barrie
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Better material - not so? I really am a railfan who takes pictures of trains, as opposed to one of the photographers on this site. For me, it is about the train, so those are shots that I'm proud of, not an attempt to show everything I took.

I like L Beebe's work.
I like Beebe's work too! And I have plenty of images that emulate his style and I know it's safe to say you know where I was going with that remark. I suppose it's the difference between a shot where you say "Cool" and "YES!!".

As for railfans vrs photographers - you've heard the answer to the question; How do you make a railran go away? Take his camera! LOL. I can sympathize on certain days! My camera back opened on a fall at EBT, went home! I go to check out a spot in Wishram for SP 4449 and girlfriend drives away with my camera upon locating a "good spot" to park. I soaked it in - maybe one of the few times I saw a steam engine go by before I got home!

/Mitch
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Very true - but for me a lot of that has to do with still really regretting not having taken photos when I was younger and watching the Erie Lackawanna, Turbo Trains, and other things that were gone by the time I picked up even a crappy camera.

I have railfanned without a camera when forced to - in downtown Mumbai for instance - where I would have likely been arrested for taking pictures. Spent an hour or so watching the trains at the same point where the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE final dance scene was shot.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

#1: could have gotten high sun
#2: needs CW rotation
#3: I see the noise in the sky
#4: needs CW rotation
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Visit the grid before you down size that will solve a lot of redoing a photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:

Why not? #2 is an easy fix. Level it and don't sharpen as much. Voila!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

My only solid thought was that in #2 the excessive contrast in the ballast is a typical sign of oversharpening. Therefore, I never sharpen the whole photo but rather the subject of the photo.

#4 is that distortion on the left side?
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Distortion? I'm not sure what you mean. Shouldn't be anything like that with the camera and lens that I'm using.

Jim - no 2 - I was convinced was high sun.

Troy - no 1 - I don't agree on high sun - very, very black trucks on the lead unit. Look a the shadow from the railheads on the rail.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
JRMDC

Congrats on putting #1, #3 and the last one on trainphotos.com. If, that is, a congrats is warranted, I just learned about them today and I have no idea of their screening policy, if any.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
Freericks
Met Fan

Their screening policy is on their website... but in a nutshell, they are looking for well-lit wedgies - the sort of standard railfan shot. It's 100% about the train and the lead locomotive there, rather than artistic sensibilities. It's a separate niche and I hope they do well.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Distortion? I'm not sure what you mean. Shouldn't be anything like that with the camera and lens that I'm using.
I say that b/c all the poles and trees on the left hand side of the frame look to be leaning left. contrast to the right hand side where everything looks level. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things....
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I say that b/c all the poles and trees on the left hand side of the frame look to be leaning left. contrast to the right hand side where everything looks level. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things....
Okay, now I understand... I did trim from the right side, so it's possible at the wider angle that did happen a little.