Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default Briefcase blown up

After removal from a SEPTA train. After it was determined there was nothing harmful.

???????

After!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...blown-to-bits/

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
jnohallman

"It was done as a precaution."

A precaution against what? The briefcase growing legs and leaving police custody? It's potential future use by a drug courier? Concern that it didn't match the decor of the police office? Seriously, people. I hope whoever forgot the briefcase on the train realizes it was theirs and sues the police for destruction of property.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

I believe there is some sort of incentive for agencies to investigate potential homeland security issues - not 100% sure how that would be helped by blowing it up, but the nagging little voice inside my head says somehow it was.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
viper

It shows they're on the job and working. Besides, it's fun!
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
nikos1

Thats just stupid......another good use of your tax money by homeland security....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Suspicious package left behind becomes evidence. Evidence becomes "safe". Safe evidence becomes training for the real deal. Not a waste of tax dollars.

Bottom line. Be responsible for your own package.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
nikos1

So its alright to blow up other peoples property for no other reason other than "training"?.........
When after no threat was found it could've just as easily be turned into the lost and found?

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 09-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I would agree with Kevin, if it weren't for the astounding lack of respect for property. Just because someone was absent minded doesn't mean you need to teach them a lesson by destroying something that could have been valuable to them...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Thats just stupid......another good use of your tax money by homeland security....

...So its alright to blow up other peoples property for no other reason other than "training"?.........
When after no threat was found it could've just as easily be turned into the lost and found?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Just because someone was absent minded doesn't mean you need to teach them a lesson by destroying something that could have been valuable to them...
Our tax dollars started being wasted the second that someone dispatched the PD/Bomb Squad for that package (that could have contained a bomb/bio-hazard) because of that absent minded person. It's not like it was a pair of glasses, a watch, or something that most likely wouldn't contain a threat. Suspicious packages contain threats. As soon as the PD was dispatched and arrived, the scene became a crime scene, and the evidence was taken. I'm not seeing what there is to argue. Is it any different than our government say crash testing perfectly good cars to test restraining systems, when they could be going to less fortunate people that could use them? Since the absent minded person forgot their package and created the chaos, why not make the most of the already wasted tax dollars and maybe train the "new guy" on how to dispose of the real threat for next time?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Our tax dollars started being wasted the second that someone dispatched the PD/Bomb Squad for that package (that could have contained a bomb/bio-hazard) because of that absent minded person. It's not like it was a pair of glasses, a watch, or something that most likely wouldn't contain a threat. Suspicious packages contain threats. As soon as the PD was dispatched and arrived, the scene became a crime scene, and the evidence was taken. I'm not seeing what there is to argue. Is it any different than our government say crash testing perfectly good cars to test restraining systems, when they could be going to less fortunate people that could use them? Since the absent minded person forgot their package and created the chaos, why not make the most of the already wasted tax dollars and maybe train the "new guy" on how to dispose of the real threat for next time?
Terrible analogy,
A closer equivalent would be crushing someones car because their parking meter expired.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
jnohallman

Quote:
Our tax dollars started being wasted the second that someone dispatched the PD/Bomb Squad for that package (that could have contained a bomb/bio-hazard) because of that absent minded person. It's not like it was a pair of glasses, a watch, or something that most likely wouldn't contain a threat. Suspicious packages contain threats. As soon as the PD was dispatched and arrived, the scene became a crime scene, and the evidence was taken. I'm not seeing what there is to argue.
By that logic, any checked luggage not immediately collected by a passenger at the airport or trains station is suspicious and subject to disposal for "training" purposes. Never mind that the person might not have collected it because it was shipped to the wrong place, or put on a different flight or train. They didn't get it right away, so it must be suspicious. I don't buy it.

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
By that logic, any checked luggage not immediately collected by a passenger at the airport or trains station is suspicious and subject to disposal for "training" purposes. Never mind that the person might not have collected it because it was shipped to the wrong place, or put on a different flight or train. They didn't get it right away, so it must be suspicious. I don't buy it.

Jon
Last time I checked, CHECKED luggage was........CHECKED!!! Nothing to be real suspicious about if it has been in the airline's or railroad's possession since it was...CHECKED when you first arrived and been away from the public since that time.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Mgoldman

Big Jim McBob and Billie Sol Hurok must be working for SEPTA now....

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
jnohallman

Quote:
Last time I checked, CHECKED luggage was........CHECKED!!! Nothing to be real suspicious about if it has been in the airline's or railroad's possession since it was...CHECKED when you first arrived and been away from the public since that time.
And we know just how much actual "checking" is involved with Amtrak baggage. You slap a tag on the bag and they throw it on the train. So why wouldn't it be suspicious if someone doesn't claim it right away?

Jon

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
KevinM

Based on what I read in the article, I am inclined to agree with the folks who think the local PD acted recklessly. The article indicated that the PD rather quickly determined that the briefcase contained nothing harmful. That should have been the end of the emergency response. At that point, the case should have been opened to ensure that there was no other criminal contraband (drugs, etc.) inside. Once that was complete, the article should have been turned over to lost and found.

The mark of a professional organization is that they think things through logically before acting prematurely in a fashion that could do more damage than the original perceived threat. Hey, a few years back a couple of idiots flew a light aircraft right smack into the Washington, DC ADIZ without any radio contact. The responding F-16s did not take any violent action because the pilots were cool-headed, smart people. They knew that their missiles and guns could do as much or more collateral damage as a crashing light airplane....and they knew that if that 150 hit the capitol building, it might scratch the marble.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote