Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
BurghMan

Default Peq - q

I haven't had too many PEQ rejections. Does an open nose door qualify as a PEQ? Just curious.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=4998656
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

I'm really surprised this got a PEQ rejection. I would think a Bad cropping reason would have been more appropriate. This guy is confused...

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
JRMDC

Bad cropping for the trailing train cutoff, so, yes, the PEQ must be for an open door. Such a pretty unit, I guess that is what they mean.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
magicman_841

Seriously? The screener must have hit the wrong button. Otherwise this website is really getting depressing.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
chasejsmith

I have a photo that made it on first shot with two open nose doors....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...393230&nseq=18

maybe because of the surroundings? I'm not sure.

Probably a mistake on the other end.

Chase Smith

Railpictures.net Photos

Rail-Videos.net Videos
chasejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Heymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
I haven't had too many PEQ rejections. Does an open nose door qualify as a PEQ? Just curious.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=4998656
On that unit, in that context, yeah, I think it is a deal breaker. This unit just came out, all brand new and shiny, and the best railroad photos on the net is probably not going to think this is showcasing it properly.

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
On that unit, in that context, yeah, I think it is a deal breaker. This unit just came out, all brand new and shiny, and the best railroad photos on the net is probably not going to think this is showcasing it properly.

Andre
This is crazy talk. It's an open door. I could se rejecting it maybe if it was a straight on nose shot maybe. But not this. Now I do see other issues with the shot. I think it's slightly over exposed and perhaps the cropping isn't spot on, but PEQ for an open door is poppycock IMHO.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

On the other hand, you have three other shots of this unit in, all of which are better than the PEQ'ed shot. If this shot was submitted after those, that could be why it got canned for PEQ.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Seriously? The screener must have hit the wrong button. Otherwise this website is really getting depressing.
No, I don't think he did, there's some cropping issues and probably the next button would of been similar to previous since he has an accepted shot that is almost identical to the PEQ except it's shot at lower angle. (along with a top 24 shot and two others of the same train)
And as far as the open door being the reason for the PEQ, I don't think so, open doors give character to the photo (just my opinion)

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 248280
Photograph © Bill Grenchik

and besides it's a new door! should got a close up of it
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
BurghMan

Thanks for the comments. It doesn't many any difference to me if the shot gets on. I just thought the door was a strange reason for a PEQ. Actually it was a little funny to me since except for the door being open, this was my favorite shot of the chase. Different strokes for different folks.

@ Chase - I had to look at your photo three times before I got it. Great humor!!!

@ Bill - Like your "J" shot. Not sure why but open doors on standard cab units never bothered me but I can't stand seeing them on a wide cab.

Thanks again,
Rich
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
No, I don't think he did, there's some cropping issues and probably the next button would of been similar to previous since he has an accepted shot that is almost identical to the PEQ except it's shot at lower angle. (along with a top 24 shot and two others of the same train)
And as far as the open door being the reason for the PEQ, I don't think so, open doors give character to the photo (just my opinion)

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 248280
Photograph © Bill Grenchik

and besides it's a new door! should got a close up of it
Standard cab vs. widecab, that is the kicker. An open door on a widecab usually involves a broken RR logo on the nose.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Heymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
This is crazy talk. It's an open door. I could se rejecting it maybe if it was a straight on nose shot maybe. But not this. Now I do see other issues with the shot. I think it's slightly over exposed and perhaps the cropping isn't spot on, but PEQ for an open door is poppycock IMHO.
To be honest, I've seen a lot more poppycock in the world of rejections than an open door. Haven't you? I think this door is a particular distraction in this frame, akin to a dust spot or foreground obstruction. I realize open doors are part of railroading, but as you have noted and we have seen, there are a lot of other shots of this same unit, so in context with that and along with the distracting nature (IMO) of the door in this shot, I think I'm not all that "crazy".

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Ween

Open nose door rejections are nothing new. Sure, some will be accepted here and there, but RP's been fairly consistent with their OND rejections over the years...