Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch
Default Metrolink vs. UP Freight, Southern California

http://cbs2.com/local/Metrolink.Cras....2.816434.html

This is no good. The whole line is CTC, someone broke the rules.

My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Watching it on FOX 11 at the moment. To put it simply, it looks quite disastrous. I just hope casualties are at a minimum. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callufrax
Watching it on FOX 11 at the moment. To put it simply, it looks quite disastrous. I just hope casualties are at a minimum. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

Currently it looks like 7 are dead, with 70 + injured. Was a head-on collision.

My Photos on RP
Old 09-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
AmericanAirFan

Now they're reporting 17 dead, may they rest in peace Does anyone happen to know what the cause may have been. How did these two trains end up on the same line??
AmericanAirFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirFan
Now they're reporting 17 dead, may they rest in peace Does anyone happen to know what the cause may have been. How did these two trains end up on the same line??

Per LA Times, the Metrolink engineer blew the red signal.
My Photos on RP
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
KevinM

Interesting that the Governor of CA is also saying this was a human error accident....not hard to believe....most major transportation accidents are. Still, some folks are breaking an unwritten rule that we let the NTSB investigate before pronouncing blame....especially since the Engineer in question apparently died in the wreck and I'm sure his/her family is grief-stricken.

I'm not sure that having politicians call this "cockpit error" so quickly will serve to reinforce people's faith in the rail system.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
E3429

It doesn't really matter how much experience or how good you are. All it takes is one second of misjudgement or error for everything to go seriously wrong. Getting complacent about doing your job can be the biggest mistake you'll ever make.

And if anyone thinks a railfan texting an on duty RR employee,(whether it had anything to do with this or not) is going to help relations between the two groups, they're sadly mistaken.
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Ween

Quote:
And if anyone thinks a railfan texting an on duty RR employee,(whether it had anything to do with this or not) is going to help relations between the two groups, they're sadly mistaken.
Yeah, because the on duty RR employee had to read/respond to the text, right?!? I agree this won't help relations any, but to imply it's going to dramatically hurt things is a sadly mistaken assumption...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
JimThias

So what if he was reading a text from a hooker? Would railroad/hooker relations then be damaged? Seriously...this has NOTHING to do with who sent the text. It's irrelevant.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
E3429

Maybe not, but since that's what was reported, where do you think the companies are going to point the finger? If he was texting a hooker, the RR would be passing rules and giving lectures on 'Don't text hookers'. Point being is this being a POSSIBLE factor is going to create a whole new set of rules because one person screwed up.

What is it again that rolls down hill?
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
tomt

Default had a green light

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1252160.story

Three observers who were at the Chatsworth station -- a security guard and two train enthusiasts -- insist that the engineer had a green light.

Three observers who say they were at the Chatsworth Metrolink station before last month's deadly train crash have asserted in interviews that a final, crucial railroad signal was green as the commuter line's engineer headed toward the collision point.

The accounts, including one from a station security guard and another from a retiree who says he was interviewed by a federal investigator, contradict a key preliminary finding by the National Transportation Safety Board.

Experts say it is common for investigators to get sharply differing witnesses' accounts during inquiries into catastrophic accidents. But the three witnesses were insistent.

"I saw the light was green. Everything seemed all right," said Chris Watson, 20, the station security guard. Watson said he was standing midway down the platform on Sept. 12 as Metrolink 111 pulled out of the station.

Bob Atkinson also said he saw the signal as the train departed

"That light was green," said Atkinson, 65, a retired movie projector repairman and train enthusiast who regularly visits the station and knew Sanchez. Another train buff, Chris Cassel, 56, said he was standing near Atkinson as they both looked down the track. "He had a full-blown green light when he left," he said. All three were interviewed by The Times this week at the station.

Last edited by tomt; 10-04-2008 at 05:43 PM.
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
JimThias

Perhaps the dispatcher was texting instead.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
PLEzero

I found this "Brief Overview of the Head-On Collision Between Metrolink Train 111 and a Union Pacific Freight Train" online and thought it might be of interest to some.

http://www.latimes.com/media/acrobat...9/42434650.pdf
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
30db+

Has anybody herd what was on the download from the "Black Box"s yet? I find it hard to believe that the Metro Link had a green in front of them.Its virtually impossible to do,unless it was tamperd with by a electrical engineer,and still its impossible to fool CTC without bells and whistles going off.Another item was that he got an advance clear to stop for that red signal.So he had 2 stations warning him that he will probably be stopping.Then when the trains were in close range to hear a broadcast over the standby channel,one of the crews had to call a clear while the second would be restricted more and more as he approached the stop signal.Im not 100% positive that US train crews are required to do so,but im sure they do from what i have read in different articles.If there was tampering with the signal system,we would of herd it long ago.It takes two to run a train,so what exactly was the conductor doing when all this was going on?That Metro Liner can stop and accelerate quite fast when compared to trains,its light it has a very good breaking system so something is not adding up here.It seems that news about it is quieting down so i dont think its the CTC system that failed or we would know by now.
30db+ is offline   Reply With Quote