Old 11-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
Jon Wisnieski

Default Thanks for everything RP.net!

Well, I decided to take the time to express my feelings about RP.net. Over the past few months, I have learned so much about photography just by seeing the photos and forums at this website. As I look back at when I started railroad/general photography, which was not so long ago (about a year), I see how far I have really come. Not to toot my own horn, but some of my pictures have gone from grab shots to "amateur works of art".
While I have had countless photos rejected, I am almost glad that they were rejected because I got the chance to see what I did wrong and try to correct it, in doing so making my photos better. This is true in life too. You have to learn from you mistakes and move on. If you do this, it is a heck of a lot better than whining. I have seen a lot of threads with people complaining about why the screeners rejected their photos. At the beginning, I was sort of like that, but as more and more of my photos were rejected, and of all the photos I have seen on this website, I started to understand and take into account my problems.
I would show you some of my general photography photos but I am not exactly sure how to post them. (Yes, I know the "Insert Picture" button, but I don't know how to use it.)
Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you to all of the people who contribute to RP.net for the wonderful advice given, and the eye pleasing photographs. I have learned more things about photography here at RP.net than I possibly could at any other website. If you feel the same way that I do about this site, please leave a post.
Thank you RP.net!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Yup, same here. I've been into photography for quite some time, but macro/stationary objects. Catching a fast moving train requires a lot of fast thinking when you first start out, and before you know it it comes naturally. You submit a shot, it gets rejected, you learn. And on top of that, you come here, ask for suggestions, and you guys are ALWAYS on hand to help out. And the advice is always helpful! And your photo's! Some of THE best.....hell.....like the title says............."THE best rail photos on the net!" And poking around the forums know that some of you had your shots bought. You give a helping hand because you KNOW you were like us, just beginners........trying to make that shot. I thank you again for the kindest, most honest, helpful information, suggestions, opinions anyone could ever give. Thank you.

Ben Sutton
Old 11-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
NSFan14

As for me to. For about 3 years now ive tried getting photos on here but my photography just plain out stunk. A few weeks back I got my first photo accepted on here. Now it helps me alot after you get 1 photo on its pretty easy the rest of the way. If it wasnt for these nice guys on ther forum and my buddys from cincy(You know who you are ) I probably wouldnt have gotten nothing on here. So I wanna say thanks to everyone on here that helped me!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Hey, you guys sound like me albeit 4 years ago! Not to toot my own horn, but I'd say thats a good thing. Keep it up fellas!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
ssw9662

I would also like to credit RP helping me improve my photography skills. When I first started submitting photos three years ago, most of them were rejected, and the few that did get on were not very good at all by my current standards. Thanks to the helpful answers and constructive criticism people have offered here, I've improved greatly since then. I still have a long way to go, but so far I am pleased with the progress I've been able to make. Thanks RP!
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
M.L.Gabert

Talking

One thing's for sure, RP has made me pay closer attention to lighting and composition. On the other hand, it has also raised my blood pressure, want to through my PC out the window, stomp on my camera, and give it all up. Thanks again RP
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

I think my photography got better after RP and then my swith to digital. But you new guys just startign out in photography, I hope RP is truly teachng you better photography skills and not just better RP-submission ideals. There is a difference. In other words, use RP as a starting off point, but don't use it as the final word.

In fact, I hope you get a chance to go to a book store soon. When you do, two assignments. First is to go through every current railroad magazine you can find. The Barns & Noble I go to is lacking as they only have the current Trains, as well a a special Trains newstand issue on Locomotives s well as TRP. Find a copy of Railfan & Railroad if you can and look through all of these magazines. There are some fine examples of photography in there that you would never see on RP.

Now go find a railroad book. They are usually lost in the collection of books devoted to John Deere tractors and 18 wheelers, but there should be a few in there. Do the same. Flip through the books and see how much great photogrphy there is there that will never be here.

This is in no way meant to be a criticism of Railpictures. I love this place, but just a reminder that this site *and* thie forum is NOT the final word on railroad photography.

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

That's right, Joe. I have seen several examples in (Australian) Railway Digest that would not be accepted here but are excellent photographs!

I have also learned quite a bit from RailPictures - even lighting on the front and sides of the subject, cropping, and foreground clutter just to name a few. However, I still have quite a bit to learn!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.Gabert
One thing's for sure, RP has made me pay closer attention to lighting and composition.
Agreed.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
Everywhere West

Joe[/quote]
"I hope RP is truly teachng you better photography skills and not just better RP-submission ideals"

You`ve hit it dead on Joe
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
M.L.Gabert

Quote:
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
"Nobody ride's my train without a ticket" - Shack 1971 Emperor of the North
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.Gabert
"Nobody ride's my train without a ticket" - Shack 1971 Emperor of the North
One of my favorite movies growing up. Lee Marvin is one coold dude in that flick.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #13
Everywhere West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
One of my favorite movies growing up. Lee Marvin is one coold dude in that flick.
Its been on AMC several times lately, one of my all time favorite movies !
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Great movie. This guy scared me when I saw it back in 73!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #15
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Ernest Borgnine! Great actor.

RP has really helped me as well.
I take a small photo album (brag book?) with me when I go out to show the crews. The comments I have received are very positive. The best one was "Wow, these sure aren't like those guys' at the crossings every Sunday."

The skills learned have transferred over to other areas. A historic town likes some of my pictures I took there and wants to use them for publicity.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
He may look crazy and tough, but I think A No. 1 could still take him...

Oh wait...he DID...