Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Is my camera dying a slow death?

I've heard that shutter issues are normally the death of early digital SLRs, esp. the Canon 300D, which has done well for me for four years. Lately, however, there are issues with the shutter. For starters, it doesn't do the half way down and focus thing anymore. It tends to still focus on most shots, but usually right before it goes down all the way. (Sometimes it will do the half way and auto, but not often.)

Sometimes it will not give me the meter readings in the view finder and sometimes not on the back of the camera. There are times when I have to guess what shutter and aperture I should use based on previous shots at the location and time of day.

Other times, you can press the shutter and nothing happens. I have missed a few shots like this. None, thankfully, were once in a lifetime events.

Is this something I should take it in to a shop for? Send it bck to Canon? Or is it time to put it in a shoebox and bury it out back?

Any adviuce or words of sorrow?

Joe
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

I would try a remote to see if the problem still occurred. All of the functions you describe are triggered by the press of the shutter button, your problem may just be the press switch.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

My old Elan IIE went crazy after several years of use. I sent it to the camera doctor, and after they replaced some switches and did some cleaning, it was good as new. The bad news is, while it was gone, I bought a digital P&S and haven't looked back. I'd recommend going to a camera shop and seeing if they can fix it, if not, send it off for repair. In the meantime, you'll need a backup camera. If you can afford it, upgrade to another dslr body, then sell your old one when you get it back, recovering the cost of repair. Otherwise, just get a P&S for 200 bucks or so. They can take surprisingly good pictures.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
JimThias

Rebels are weird. Every once in a while mine will go haywire when I got to adjust the shutter speed. As I roll the dial, no matter which direction I go, it continues to slow the shutter speed all the way into BULB mode. The first time that happened, a train was approaching and I missed the shot...and yes, pissed me off. It's probably happened a total of 5 times in the last six months, and the usual cure is to just turn the camera on and off a few times. I'm just approaching 13,000 pictures taken, so I'm sure I've still got quite a while before the shutter starts to go. But this little glitch has me wondering...
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Rebels are weird. Every once in a while mine will go haywire when I got to adjust the shutter speed. As I roll the dial, no matter which direction I go, it continues to slow the shutter speed all the way into BULB mode. The first time that happened, a train was approaching and I missed the shot...and yes, pissed me off. It's probably happened a total of 5 times in the last six months, and the usual cure is to just turn the camera on and off a few times. I'm just approaching 13,000 pictures taken, so I'm sure I've still got quite a while before the shutter starts to go. But this little glitch has me wondering...
That comes from storing your camera on its side.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
That comes from storing your camera on its side.
Just for the record, *I* did not reference that this time.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

If I could afford to upgrade DSLRs, I wouldn't have started this thread!

Can't afford a P&S at this point either. Did I mention the transmission is going in my car? And that my desk top computer is going, going, going!

Maybe we could start a fund?

Joe
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Maybe we could start a fund?
OK everybody, who wants to fund still more aerial shots from South Carolina? Don't everybody raise their hands at once! Don't give me that "I gave to world hunger" thing, you can't fool us!

Seriously, hope you can find a solution, Joe, that doesn't hurt the wallet too bad. BTW, the cheapest dReb on KEH.com is $325, "bargain" condition, which generally means quite useable but cosmetic flaws.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

I took the camera by a shop today. They don't do work there, but they send it out. Said it would be more than 200 dollars just to send it off and look at it. Then suggested I might should just upgrade. I said if I could afford to upgrade, I wouldn't be trying to fix the old one. Might have to borrow my old Elan 7 from my sister-in-law and -- gasp! -- shoot slides again until Uncle Sam gives me my money back next winter.

Joe
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
Ween

Joe, you never addressed this idea:

Quote:
I would try a remote to see if the problem still occurred. All of the functions you describe are triggered by the press of the shutter button, your problem may just be the press switch.
Can you afford a $20 remote to test/use 'til you get your refund?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

I do need a remote, to be honest. In fact, I've had two of them. And lost them both. That actually is a good idea if it works and if the shutter goes completely. The downside is that I'd have to tripod everything then. I should have thought about the remote last night at the store, now that I think about it.

Joe
Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Ween

You don't necessarily need a tripod...just figure out a way to hold in in one of your hand when you have the camera up to your eye...
Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
WKUrailfan

Buy a chinese knock-off trigger on eBay, most of the time they're the exact same thing as what canon sells, just without the little logo that costs you 40 bucks more than its worth.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
Joe the Photog

Missed three shots today due to the shutter. Haven't bought a remote yet, but then as I was bitching and moaning to my wife about my camera, she had an idea. The P&S she uses at work did some of the same things mine is doing... yet it was a battery issue, not a camera issue. I'm still not sure about the shutter. Some of what it is doing seems shutter related, but some of it seems it *could* be battery. If nothing else, these batteries are nearly four years old and when I do get a 40D, I'll need a new one.

I still don't know.

And it needs a good sensor cleaning. Which I just can't seem to do properly. It's just frustrating to actually have a day to shoot trains and have missed oppurtunities and then when I actually can shoot a train, have it be negated to trash bin because of a dirty sensor. (Some can be cloned out. Many are just not worth the trouble.)

The other issue which I'm not sure could be battery related is when the camera will not show the meter. I've got many, many underexposed shots because I can't read the meter. Out of ten trains I shot (not all today, but over the past few weeks) I have exactly NONE that I feel are worth saving.

I'm like Magic Johnson trying to dribble a basketball with no air, Jeff Gordon trying to win a race with no motor, Barry Bonds chasing Hank Aaron without any..... Well, you got the idea.

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
I'm like Magic Johnson trying to dribble a basketball with no air, Jeff Gordon trying to win a race with no motor, Barry Bonds chasing Hank Aaron without any..... Well, you got the idea.

Obviously you think extremely highly of yourself! I didn't realize I was in the e-presence of the Johnson/Gordon/Bonds equivalent of rail photographer!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

I don't really think that highly of myself. I knew that as soon as I wrote that and named players (instead of saying "I'm like a basketball player with a deflated basketball.") that some smart aleck would throw the words back in my face. Hey, here's a thought. Take your camera that works fine right now and give it the issues that mine are having and see how it feels.

Yeah. Sucks, doesn't it?

I tried to tip my hand that I was being somewhat sarcastic with the Barry Bonds without steriods comment.

But if you want to be oh so serious all the time, I'll remember that next time.

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #17
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I'm trying to figure out if this may be right or if the issues might not be battery related afterall. The one I don't understand is the lack of a meter reading. It's on manual, but it acts like it's on auto exposure. Except that it's not actually exposing automatically, so since I can't read the meter, it horribly underexposes.

Part of me suspects wishful thinking on my part concerning it being battery-related.

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 AM   #18
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Well, there's only one way to figure out whether it's battery-related or not, eh?
I feel your pain, though. My camera died a slow, autofocus-related death, and then was going to cost more than it was worth to repair...so now I'm back to shooting weirdly coloured, washed-out photos, and I just lost my 50mm lens. I only have a 28.
I feel like Kiprusoff without pads or a stick...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #19
Joey Bowman

Joe, what kind of lens are you using? I know that 3rd party lenses sometimes tend to cause problems like you are stating, especially older sigma lenses...
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #20
Joe the Photog

Hey, Joey;

It's all Canon lens for me. I had a Sigma 55 mm to 200 mm f4-5.6 for a short time, but it died on me -- it was originally a gift from a friend -- and was replaced by the Canon f4L 70 to 200 mm. The Sigma was basically a lens made to compliment the Canon 18 to 55 mm kit lens, about the same quality.

The lens I have in order of their usage --

Canon 70 to 200 mm f4L
Canon 10 to 22 mm
Canon 18 to 55 "kit" lens
Canon 50 mm f1.8

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Well, there's only one way to figure out whether it's battery-related or not, eh?
One of the batteries is as old as the cmera. It could be nearing it's life expectancy. The other batttery is six months younger. It might be time to replace both of them.

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:

I tried to tip my hand that I was being somewhat sarcastic with the Barry Bonds without steriods comment.

But if you want to be oh so serious all the time, I'll remember that next time.
Easy, Joe. You tipped your hand clearly, I thought I did also. Actually, it's hard to believe you took it seriously, but miscommunications happen, I guess. I do think you might have given me more credit, maybe thought about it a bit before responding.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Easy, Joe. You tipped your hand clearly, I thought I did also. Actually, it's hard to believe you took it seriously, but miscommunications happen, I guess. I do think you might have given me more credit, maybe thought about it a bit before responding.
I took you as being completely facetious, but perhaps you should have thrown in a few for good measure.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #24
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Joe's just upset about missing some shots and that his camera is dying and he lashed out. Understandable, but not excusable.

I know how he feels as last week my camera was on the tripod and got blown over and smacked the pavement hard enough to bend the metal on the hot shoe. I had taken all the precautions I could (parked the car to block as much wind as I could, wadded my coat up and put it on the ground on the downwind side of the camera where I thought it would fall if it did, etc.), but it wasn't enough. I let the expletives fly and I was intolerable for a few hours until I was able to verify that nothing was wrong and that the lens and camera were fine (I had to get some train shots just to make sure). But the thought of losing the camera and lens made me a crabby person. One thing though, some people say the XT is cheaply made because it's made of plastic, but after a fall like it took last week and being okay says a lot about it...
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #25
Northern Limits

Quote:
Missed three shots today due to the shutter.

Good one Joe.

Last year my camera (Canon EOS 1000F) died in the same manner. But being film, I never knew until the film was developed. Frustrating!
And what is a photog w/o his camera?

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote