Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #101
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Sorry, guys, but I don't see the apples to apples comparison between a shot which was clearly taken from a safe distance with a remote release (also specified in the comments) and the other referenced shots where it appeared the photographer was actually kneeling underneath derailed equipment.

We reject numerous shots every single day for PEQ which were clearly shot while trespassing, many from positions I would consider unsafe (such as the "camera on the railhead with the reflection of the approaching train" shots that seem to be all the rage lately).

Many of these are clear cut cases, some are not.

I screened Travis' shot, and assumed the camera was positioned either at a grade crossing, or pedestrian crossing. I didn't notice the crossbucks in the background initially, but given that Travis has now explained the situation further, their presence wouldn't change my decision at this point.

He had permission from a BNSF employee to be where he was (we could go around in circles on whether this specific employee had 'authority' to grant that permission forever), and more importantly, wasn't in a position of any danger to himself, others, or the train.

I've watched plenty of moron railfans do REALLY stupid things to try to get "that shot," including running across the tracks directly in front of a train, being on a bridge as a train is approaching then running off, kneeling on the tracks, laying on the tracks, climbing up signal masts, etc. etc. etc.

That is the kind of behavior we are always trying to discourage.

And lastly... as far as the argument that this sort of shot could lead someone else to go out and try it without a cable release and get hurt.. well, you can't fix stupid. If some idiot decides to go out and lay in the middle of the tracks to try to replicate this shot, he deserves whatever happens to him, as far as I'm concerned.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #102
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
-admin rant-
I agree wholeheartedly, now let's lock this thing down and get it over with.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #103
Joe the Photog

Why does the thread need to be locked? It's been a civilized discussion this far and if the folks want to keep it alive, they should be able to.

(me trying to be serious)
Old 10-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #104
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Another would be to mount camera on a monopod and stick it up from below a trestle between the ties.
Still trespassing. You've put something on their property.

Here's the best way:

DON'T DO IT.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #105
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
And lastly... as far as the argument that this sort of shot could lead someone else to go out and try it without a cable release and get hurt.. well, you can't fix stupid. If some idiot decides to go out and lay in the middle of the tracks to try to replicate this shot, he deserves whatever happens to him, as far as I'm concerned.
He shoots, he SCOOOOOOOOOOOORES......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer
Another would be to mount camera on a monopod and stick it up from below a trestle between the ties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
Still trespassing. You've put something on their property.

Here's the best way:

DON'T DO IT.
Is it trespassing even if it's not actually touching any of the railroad property, and just occupying airspace in the gap between the ties?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #106
TAMR159

I don't place blame with the screeners here for accepting it, knowing the circumstances of the shot as they saw it - I believe uploading the shot was solely Travis' decision to make, and from the sounds of it, he did discuss the subject in depth with the employee in question he was with and still received the okay to upload. I am still not sure I would have uploaded it were I in his shoes, however...perhaps obscuring the details a little bit more, or waiting some time before posting it, but this is Travis' decision. This thread proves how controversial the subject is, and honestly, both sides have a leg to stand on, so I'm not going to pick sides...

Yes, we all trespass, though there are ranges - pulling off the road onto railroad property just enough so you're not interfering with traffic versus standing in the gauge when a train is coming at you or wandering into the middle of an active yard are two different things in my book, even if they are both "trespassing." Just exercise common sense, be discrete, and don't do anything stupid that will put you and/or an employee's well-being in jeopardy. In all honesty, I find that a lot of the best shots out there are taken from public property anyhow.

Now, honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing to have a basic understanding of some of the railroad rules out there...there are plenty of internet sources to learn from, and if it can help save a guy's job, so much the better. Sure, it may have been their own fault for doing something to get themselves in trouble, but I still don't find that makes it okay for me to post a shot that will get a guy fired and prevent him from putting food on the table for his family just so I could have one more shot on Railpictures...if you want to play hard-ass, sure, it's his own damn fault, but I like to be a bit more respectful of these guys (and as a result, I am on particularly good terms with many railroad professionals [I'm not just talking T&E guys either] and get quite a bit of access to things I wouldn't otherwise). Simply put, respect them, and they'll respect you...or be indifferent and say tough s**t, and they'll do the same after they call you in for trespassing next time they see you trackside...but, I know I'm preaching to a brick wall here, so I'll quit while I am still ahead.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #107
KevinM

Interesting thread......

I would agree with the opinion that there are probably none among us who can say with certainty that they always knew the ownership of the patch of ground on which they were standing when they took that superlative shot...or that they always had permission from the owner to be there. I maintain that is it is practically impossible to pursue this hobby without crossing the wrong line at some point, whether deliberately or inadvertently. When this happens, the primary risk is to the individual him/herself, although there is the possible collateral damage to the hobby itself if enough people engage in egregious violations.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about photographers who engage in activities that endanger the general public....such as solo pacing in automobiles. As I scan the threads here, the sense I get is that the guy who has one foot on railroad property is to be vilified, but the guy who brags about driving at "track speed" with his knees should looked upon as a sort of "top gun." Neither activity is a good idea, but given the risk that the latter poses to one's fellow human beings, the reactions that I read on the board here are the reverse of what I would expect.

Just my $.02.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #108
ssw9662

Quite honestly, anyone dumb enough to want to try the "train running over camera" shot literally doesn't need to see this shot for an inspiration. I've seen similar photos published in magazines in the past, and a search on Youtube brings up dozens upon dozens of videos displaying the same effect.

So was the shot a smart one? Maybe not. But as Travis said before, it's not like RP is baby sitting your kids. There are plenty of more dangerous/illegal photos on here.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 10-01-2009 at 10:24 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #109
khalucha

I am late coming into this but, a page or two back with the one person talking about the shots not being accepted. Please show me where it states that train shots must be taken a certain way. I am missing that page in my camera manual, and see it refereed to on here a lot. I thought the whole idea of taking pictures was to record and image of what that photographer thought was interesting, am I correct? I am not saying that RP needs to accept these shots, but where do you get off saying that they are "No good"? They may not look good to you but it does not mean someone else will like not like it. The picture may be not the material that RP wishes to post on THEIR site, which is understandable as it is their site,but does not mean the picture(s) are not good at all. I am by no means trying to start another pissing match here, just pointing it out.

As for the shot, just another thing for the Homeland Security freaks to see and giving them more ammo to institute more rules/laws on photographing trains. You need to put yourself in their shoes for a second. They are not going to look at the whole picture, they are going to look at some person placing a camera on the tracks. The thing that I can see them coming up with is, "They are trying to get pictures of the undercarriage of the train to derail it while in motion." May sound stupid but this is how that crap comes about.

I personally like the shot in question, but I just think the timing is wrong, especially with the big todo in NYC not to long ago.

Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #110
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Is it trespassing even if it's not actually touching any of the railroad property, and just occupying airspace in the gap between the ties?
It would have to be either an awfully low trestle, or an awfully long monopod, to allow you to stick it up between the ties without trespassing by climbing on the supports of the trestle. Just saying . . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #111
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
It would have to be either an awfully low trestle, or an awfully long monopod, to allow you to stick it up between the ties without trespassing by climbing on the supports of the trestle. Just saying . . . .

Jon
What, you've never rented a bucket truck to get a little extra elevation?
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #112
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
What, you've never rented a bucket truck to get a little extra elevation?
Not a bad idea at all! I've considered convincing an odler railfan to rent a cherry picker for a nice bit of elevation...

No luck yet.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #113
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

This thread is probably now the most ridiculous I've seen in quite some time....now I have the mental image of a foamer in a cherry picker sitting in a creek, holding a monopod 10 feet long between the ties of a trestle in an attempt not to trespass.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #114
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
This thread is probably now the most ridiculous I've seen in quite some time....
After everything else that's gone on in here, I thought a little levitation -- err, levity -- was in order.

(Raise your hand if you DIDN'T see that one coming.)
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #115
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
This thread is probably now the most ridiculous I've seen in quite some time....now I have the mental image of a foamer in a cherry picker sitting in a creek, holding a monopod 10 feet long between the ties of a trestle in an attempt not to trespass.

Chase
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #116
crazyro

Send a message via AIM to crazyro

Quote:
I had to do it...

(Photoshop, just in case some freaks say anything).

crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #117
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

This thread is gotta be one of my favorites.

Chase
Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #118
John Craft

Quote:

Jon
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

not enough words.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #119
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
I had to do it...

(Photoshop, just in case some freaks say anything).

Perfect!

Mind you, I was thinking about a bridge more along the lines of this . . .
Image © Dave Blaze...
PhotoID: 265878
Photograph © Dave Blaze...

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!

Last edited by jnohallman; 10-03-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #120
JimThias

Quote:

Jon
There is a bike path that follows a river in Lansing, MI, that goes under some very low railroad bridges. It's quite possible to stand underneath them on the bike path with a monopod fully extended and reach between the ties.

I've often thought about putting my camera between the ties at this bridge. You can see it wouldn't take much to get the elevation underneath the bridge on the other side. There is a trail underneath the bridge right there, as the property here is a county park. All I'd need is a step ladder and my monopod fully extended and I could easily get my camera between the ties.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 241428
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 10-03-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #121
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
There is a bike path that follows a river in Lansing, MI, that goes under some very low railroad bridges. It's quite possible to stand underneath them on the bike path with a monopod fully extended and reach between the ties.
I'm looking forward to your shots!!!

Jon

Old 10-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #122
JimThias

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your shots!!!

Jon
I normally beat the crap out of my 5D, but I'm not taking going to push it.