Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
shanedeemer

Default Why are cloudy US Streetcar pictures OK but German ones are not?

Cloudy Streetcars from Boston which still operate are acceptable...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=263729&nseq=1

But German ones which no longer operate are not?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=328847376

I am not sure why Stuttgart's trams don't make the cut.
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
JRMDC

Because screening is subjective at the best of times and also depends on idiosyncratic elements such as the quality of the previous 100 shots the screener has viewed.

My personal view is that both should have been kicked, as both could be reshot on nicer days. And the cropping on the Boston shot I don't care for personally. But it is in!

Good luck with your reshoot!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
shanedeemer

Unfortunately, that is not possible. The streetcars are now in Romania, and the track has been pulled up.

I noted that in the comments to the screeners, but they didn't seem to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Good luck with your reshoot!

Last edited by shanedeemer; 12-17-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
shanedeemer

I have appealed the rejection account the fact the streetcars are gone and the line has been pulled up. However, the appeal was denied, and the admin who looked at it didn't bother to comment as to why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your appeal for photo id 618249 has been processed and has been rejected.
Admin Comments >>
>> http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=328847376
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that common courtesy is a thing of the past from the administrators, and double standards are now the norm.

Last edited by shanedeemer; 12-17-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer
I have appealed the rejection account the fact the streetcars are gone and the line has been pulled up. However, the appeal was denied, and the admin who looked at it didn't bother to comment as to why.
If there aren't any comments, that simply means that they agree with the screener about the rejection. I've actually really tried to tone down my appealing, since a lot of them were coming back like that. If the admin was trying to give me a hint, I got it.

Quote:
It appears that common courtesy is a thing of the past from the administrators, and double standards are now the norm.
I don't honestly think we can expect them to comment on every photo that gets submitted/appealed nowadays. Simply too many.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Welcome to the world of screener bias. When you have a panel of individuals, with different philosophies, styles, and backgrounds ... you're going to get different and unpredictable opinions.

I think the real question here is one of newsworthiness. Should all photos be held to the strictest standards, regardless of age, rarity, etc? Or is there some wiggle room, as seen with some of the 1950's and 1960's pictures on here that have terrible sharpness and mediocre composition? Your streetcar photo is cloudy (deduct two points), european (deduct two points), and weak on composition (deduct one point). In this case, the news value doesn't seem to trump that.

You can always try your case in the court of public opinion, as you've done here. I'm guessing that the screeners, who look at between 500 and 1000 pictures a day, do as much as they can, yet things will always fall through the cracks.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer
I've never received a comment from the screener on a rejected appeal or, for that matter, a rejection. They just don't have the time, and I accept that.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
shanedeemer

It's obvious that European photos are substandard to US photos, I was just trying to understand why.

I have also learned that when "the admin" decides he does not like a photo, it will never got posted, regardless of what anybody else thinks.

I am curious about the 1 point deduction on composition, though - what could be better about it?

Last edited by shanedeemer; 12-18-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
Christopher Muller

Just my $.02, I'm about 99x more likely to click on an American (Canadian or USA) photo than I am of foreign stuff. I know there are others that agree.

As far as the appeal and lack of comment, I'm sure there are folks that appeal every rejection they get...
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
Just my $.02, I'm about 99x more likely to click on an American (Canadian or USA) photo than I am of foreign stuff. I know there are others that agree.

As far as the appeal and lack of comment, I'm sure there are folks that appeal every rejection they get...
I can think of at least two people.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
shanedeemer

I didn't realize how unpopular German streetcars were, and that's why the photos will never get posted here. At least the end of the GT4s in Stuttgart are documented on my own webpage, as well as several in Germany.

I was hoping it that at least one photo would be worthy of posting on railpictures.net as well, but that is clearly not the case.

Thank you all for your comments.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller

I tend to mostly look at steam shots. While I am also probably more likely to to click on shots taken in North America, I think that's mostly because such shots are of places/trains that I am more likely to be able to visit. Having said that I regularly click on and enjoy the work of folks in other countries. I am particularly amazed at the amount of steam preservation going on in places like the UK and Switzerland. I am also amazed at the quality of some of the shots taken in those places given some of the weather challenges that photographers face.

I also enjoy streetcar pictures Shane. I know that the streetcar fans here are a small group....but keep 'em coming!

As for the appeals process.... I try to use it very sparingly and only when I genuinely believe the Screener missed something. In 190 accepted shots, I've appealed 4 times with 3 of those accepted. So for me at least, the process works. In the case of the majority of my rejections, I think the Screener was right....and I either needed to fix the shot or move on.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I am actually more than likely to click on stuff from Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee than anything else. I do like to look at Canadian shots, and stuff from California. I mostly look at class 1's instead of shortlines or steamers.

I click on the appeal button unless I feel there is a valid enough reason to do so. I have gotten a couple of comments before, and I have won two.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Its not because its a street car, German or other wise. Save the shot i like it, but it is cloudy and not so old that it get the rare and old pass in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #15
MTM9

Judging from the above comments, it would seem that the screeners bias is more based on what photos would get the most hits/clicks. This would most likely be because this helps keep this site up, since they get most of the money to operate it via ad money.

Matt
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #16
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I personally would like to see an SD-90MAC working a trolley line any day! I know everyone has their specific genre, but, I am not remotely interested in trolleys or much foreign action. That is just my thought on this.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote