Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
alan-crotty

Default Dynamic Range

Hi All,

Most digital cameras have a dynamic range of about 7 stops. Whilst this is greater than that available from reversal film it does not yet come close to that of negative film.

So we digital users, especially us steam photographers, need a little help.

We can of course tune the photo in our image editing software using layers and masks, this can be time consuming.

I have recently come across a nice piece of software available from Max Lyons at Tawbaware. http://www.tawbaware.com/index.html

The item in the index to look for in TuFuse Pro, you can download the trial free, if you like it, and I do, the license is only $35.00.

There is an explanation of the process here

http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm

It may look complex, but is very easy to use, unlike many High Dynamic Range programmes this has the ability to extend the DR using a single image and so is usable for action pictures.

So here are the examples 4F original , exposed for highlights & processed with TuFuse Pro, opened the same raw file three times at differing densities. loaded to TuFuse and allowed programme to blend (fuse) at default values., then sharpened in PShop. There is no doubt that TuFuse saves a lot of work in layers/layer masks. It's hard enaough taking railway shots without having post processing hassel!

I have no shares in this organisation.

Just thought I'd share a good thing!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original 4F.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2981   Click image for larger version

Name:	TuFused 4F.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	2982  

Last edited by alan-crotty; 06-22-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: More info
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
a231pacific

Wow, your example is great. It seems to avoid the "watercolor" look that often happens when using shadow recovery to dig out the shadow detail. The price looks to be a steal. Thank you.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Nifty, I'll have to give that a whirl!

To me, though others may agree (or not), those two photos look like a comparison of untouched images from a Canon (dark) and a Nikon (nicely exposed shadow detail). Anyone ever get this impression after shooting with a friend using the opposite camera?

It'd be nice if such processing were to be made available (at least for JPEG) in the camera - what are we shelling out the bucks for, considering the "film" comes with the camera? Likely we will, or already do see such in lower priced point and shoots.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
alan-crotty

Thumbs up Nice Colours?

Mitch,

Sorry to be a while replying, a friend has a Nikon D300, we were out together last week and have taken a similar shot within 3 feet of each other.

I'll ask him for his from camera raw file and we'll do a comparison.

From experience though I have to say that Nikon give a better from camera image than Canon.

However the final image is what counts, and since I am a raw shooter I have to post process and can get the saimilar colours as Nikon.

Nikon wins for blue skies though, Canon skies are poor.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Very interesting Alan, thanks. When I have a working computer again I will have to give this a good look.

John
John West is offline   Reply With Quote