Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
willig

Default I know I'm poor at cropping but........

How can I improve the cropping of this one without chopping off a loco?

I can only think of top and bottom. I don't think it's unlevel either.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=554809&key=0
Any thoughts anyone?

Oh, I don't think this shot was cloudy either. Look at the shadows from the handrails. It's not comon either, it's a preserved loco.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=554830&key=0

I know this shot isn't sunny, but is the lighting poor? I think it's pretty even.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=554825&key=0

Still, it was great day and I've loads more shots to come.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig
Yes, top and bottom. Bummer, in a weird sense, that you had such clear skies that day, no clouds.

As for level, always level on vertical lines, not horizontal. If you are not facing directly perpendicular to a horizontal line - and you are not, you are angled right - that horizontal line should not necessarily be level (if it is above or below camera level). Level on the verticals of the openings.

Quote:
Oh, I don't think this shot was cloudy either. Look at the shadows from the handrails. It's not comon either, it's a preserved loco.
If you don't think this is cloudy, then you have more problems than just RP rejections! Where is the blue sky? OK, OK, there is sun coming down the nose. And that is your problem! The sun is slightly on the other side of the engine - see the lower handrail shadow - and so there isn't enough light on the side. Since it is preserved, there is no problem in someone going back another time and getting a better shot, so it gets rejected.

Quote:
I know this shot isn't sunny, but is the lighting poor? I think it's pretty even.
Looks even to me also, it's definitely overcast but I'm ok with that. It does look like it is well processed; the train looks pretty bright compared to the sky. Overuse of shadows/highlights?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
WembYard

Hate to say it Graham, but I think the only way to get anywhere with the first one is to remove "Sir Lamiel". The large space between it and 70013 attracts my attention too much. It would work better if you have a different photo taken whilst standing more to the left.
A couple of other points is that the photo is leaning slightly to the left and there looks to be two dust spots, one in the smoke from 70013 and the second in the smoke of 46115.

Second photo, well maybe 55022 is not common, but it is basically a roster shot for which I think everything has to be just about perfect for RP. Whilst I agree that the sun is out, the lighing could be better.

Third photo, I quite like - maybe bump the contrast up a little as it does look a bit "flat". I would also try cropping right down to the cab roof as that sky is not helping.

Look forwards to seeing some more from Carnforth, I did consider going but a long trip on a "Pendolino" put me off (hate those things with a passion) plus I didn't fancy a bus back home with Rugby being shut.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Wizzo

Quote:
How can I improve the cropping of this one without chopping off a loco?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=554809&key=0
Any thoughts anyone?
I agree with Janusz the levelling does appear out - and with such a wide angle shot choose a vertical near the centre of the picture, those at the edge will be distorted.

Sorry, can't see a way to save this without losing a loco. The locos are across the centre of the shot so it doesn't follow the rule of thirds. Raising the shot frame (to get the locos on the lower line of thirds) would result in too much empty sky (and it was the day of the year when Lancashire has no clouds to help with the composition ), and lowering the frame would result in too much empty ballast (unless you could pose something of interest in the foreground)

Quote:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=554830&key=0
Roster shots on RP have to be perfectly lit. Its unfortunate that Royal Scots Grey isn't normally based at Carnforth and the depot is only very rarely open to the public these days.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr

Last edited by Wizzo; 07-29-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
willig

Thanks for your advice guys,

I've got lots of attempts at the line up of five, so I'll go back to the RAW images and see what I can do.

I have also got other shots of the Deltic, which may be better.

I've had a little go at the cab shot, do you think the attached version gives it a bit more life? I can do nothing with the sky, other than crop in tight and eliminate as much of it as I can.

I took an awful lot of stuff at Carnforth, what doesn't make RP, will appear on my fotopic site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4279LR.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	3156  
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
alexramos

Not a fan of the first two but the third one of the "driver" in the cab is pretty nice. I'd recrop it and I think converting it to BW sets the mood a little better...

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8367.1217337857.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	3159  
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
JimThias

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uksteam.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	3160  
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
willig

I tried with another version, whilst taking on board all your comments. This time succesful.
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 244632
Photograph © Graham Williams

Thanks everyone.