Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #26
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev View Post
Dennis,
Forget the summer part. I meant that higher F numbers are smaller aperatures. If I use a bigger aperature like F/1, I would let too much light in, and that would probably lead to overexposure.

In terms of shooting a moving train at 79 mph, I not only would want to keep my aperature at f32 or even f8, but also the shutter speed should go to a 100th of a second. A tenth would indeed blur the train.

Let me know where you got this f/1 lens. I need to get me one of them!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
jlev
Banned

Dennis or anyone,
If I shoot a train going 100+ mph on a sunny day, my aperture would be f5.6-8, should I keep my ISO on 200 or move it to 1000? I believe my shutter speed should be anywhere between 1/1000-1/5000 of a second. I may go to a station on the NEC later to photograph. Thank you
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I would avoid any ISO above 400 on the D70. It is very noisy.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
jlev
Banned

Good point there, Road foreman. I really have no reason to go above 200 on a sunny day. Yes, 400 is very noisy for sunny day.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #30
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
To sharply render a typical railfan action photo, the rule of thumb is 500th of a second shutter at least. A 100th of a second shutter would yield a blurry photo of a moving train.

So on a sunny day try ISO 200, 1000th shutter, and f 8.
On the NEC with a bright sun behind you, try the above exposure. Your camera should just about agree with that. With a bright silver train, the camera might want to stop down to an 11 or 16 or more resulting in underexposure. Come to think of it, that MAY be the reason for the underexposure of your posted shots.

Study the manual, read other books, and test, test, test. You have to invest the time. We can only guide you here; a full class in photography is beyond what a chat room can do. You'll get the hang of it.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
Ween

Quote:
Study the manual, read other books, and test, test, test. You have to invest the time. We can only guide you here...
Amen! It's almost to the point of just go out and see what works on your camera.

Asking the nuances about settings (which depend on the light and conditions when you're actually out there) is kinda like asking about what waist size you should get for a new pair of blue jeans. Just go try the damn jeans on and see what fits...the same thing for your camera settings!

Remember, digital shots are free. Take test shots at various settings, compare the histograms, and see what is working...
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #32
CP990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Amen! It's almost to the point of just go out and see what works on your camera.

Asking the nuances about settings (which depend on the light and conditions when you're actually out there) is kinda like asking about what waist size you should get for a new pair of blue jeans. Just go try the damn jeans on and see what fits...the same thing for your camera settings!

Remember, digital shots are free. Take test shots at various settings, compare the histograms, and see what is working...
What's a histogram? Enquiring minds wanna know!

As usual, folks are talking technobabble to a newbie who is learning the ropes. Give the guy a chance .............. and stop being so "aloof". People learn better and faster when things are explained in a style they understand, not what you know after 500 years of experience.

Think about it.

Dave.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #33
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP990 View Post
What's a histogram? Enquiring minds wanna know!

As usual, folks are talking technobabble to a newbie who is learning the ropes. Give the guy a chance .............. and stop being so "aloof". People learn better and faster when things are explained in a style they understand, not what you know after 500 years of experience.

Think about it.

Dave.
Sorry, Dave, but you're kind of jumping in here without knowing the history and lecturing without enough background to conduct that lecture. The particular newbie has had plenty of help here and has consistently asked the same questions over and over and over again, both here and via e-mail. Questions on the basics. And he gets detailed answers from a variety of folks but nothing seems to stick.

And, BTW, it's not hard to go to Google and type in histogram.

I appreciate your efforts to teach us (me) a lesson, but you need to know the background of a situation before donning the white wig and judging.

Think about it.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #34
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Let me know where you got this f/1 lens. I need to get me one of them!
F/1.0 is so pedestrian. It's all about F/0.95.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #35
CP990

Quote:
And, BTW, it's not hard to go to Google and type in histogram.

I appreciate your efforts to teach us (me) a lesson, but you need to know the background of a situation before donning the white wig and judging.

Think about it.
I don't need to Google Histogram, I wrote an essay about it, and the Zone System: http://www.davesphotopages.com/11.html

If you want a copy of my white paper (17 pages) entitled "Large Format Photography And Fine Art Printing - 1990" I'll be glad to send a copy along. It's pdf format.

I usually side with the "underdog" and never assume a "whollier than thou" attitude, even when the student isn't exactly swift at getting it. We all had to learn at one time.

Dave.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Dave, I do some teaching myself professionally and I have to agree with Ween, John is just not picking this up. Many (including myself) have given examples, suggested books, websites to visit for indepth help and truthfully, everyone has been very patient to a point. He will need much more help and time than we can offer through this forum setting. However, if you think you can change the world here scooter, have at it! If you have tons of free time and lots of patience, maybe you could help him learn but, most of us don't have that luxury.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #37
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
F/1.0 is so pedestrian. It's all about F/0.95.
I think Canon actually made a lens like that. Hmm....
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #38
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Canon and Leica both.
I heard a rumour of a Zeiss F/0.7 lens, but I haven't confirmed it yet..
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #39
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP990 View Post
I usually side with the "underdog" and never assume a "whollier than thou" attitude, even when the student isn't exactly swift at getting it. We all had to learn at one time.

Dave.
Some people learn using visuals, some hands on but, the problem is how difficult it is to figure out which type of person that John is.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
Ween

Quote:
I usually side with the "underdog" and never assume a "whollier than thou" attitude
But yet you assumed a "whollier than thou" attitude with me in your attempt to 'scold' me, no? And also, isn't it kind of "whollier than thou" to brag on the paper you wrote on histograms and presume that I would want a copy of it?

You are correct that we all had to learn at one time, and as the n00b on the forums, perhaps you should learn a little about the forums here and the people who contribute before chiming in with "whollier than thou"-type posts regardless of how much previous photo or teaching experience you have...
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #41
JimThias

"Holier," damn it!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #42
CP990

Quote:
But yet you assumed a "whollier than thou" attitude with me in your attempt to 'scold' me, no? And also, isn't it kind of "whollier than thou" to brag on the paper you wrote on histograms and presume that I would want a copy of it?

regardless of how much previous photo or teaching experience you have...
Not at all, I have some knowledge which I could pass on to others as my contribution to those who wish to learn. I put my essay online, which, as everyone knows, is free and up for grabs, you might have noticed, there was no charge for this information. The same goes for my experience with 4x5 large format photography, I'm passing that on free of charge. I could easily charge several hundred dollars for this info on 4x5 photography.

............. and yes, I have teaching experience also.

Dave.