Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
Joe the Photog

Toledo, Ohio is the most recent place I'm trying to seek work at. Charlotte, NC -- obviously much closer to me -- is in there and Jackson, MS still has a position open according to their web site and still has my resume tape. Toledo looks interesting rail wise. And cold.

Joe
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #27
J Douglas Moore

Joe, you need to make a good case for why you want to move to Toledo.... Employers look at out of town applicants thinking that as soon as work picks up, they will go back "home". And on the lighter side, just remember NO ONE moves to Toledo unless they have to........ I spent a week there one day....... JK...... It is a 'cool' place to be, especially in January !!

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #28
Joe the Photog

I think I may have run into some of what you're talking about. I know my former chief photog had no qualms hiring folks from out of state. The same day I started, there was a new guy starting who moved from Portland, Oregon and another one from West Va. But he may be an exception to the rule. So now in my cover letters, I have been mentioning that my family and I are ready to move to _________ and enjoy the __________.

That doesn't explain why the station 90 miles up the interstate never returned my calls.

Joe
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
J Douglas Moore

Joe, I wish you only the best of luck in your job search......... I am just so sick of what is happening to our great nation............

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Well, as way of an update, I am now Joe the Truck Unloader at, as they say, a "big box store." It's not only less money than my last job, it's also less money than my last job in retail back in 2001.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
Ween

At least it's income. Congrats, Joe...keep your eye out for those opportunities when they come knocking.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #32
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
At least it's income. Congrats, Joe...keep your eye out for those opportunities when they come knocking.
Ditto, Joe. Good luck as you continue to look.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
Freericks
Met Fan

Joe,

I'm not sure why this is the very first time I've found this thread... but my sincerest best thoughts through this whole process. I've been through this garbage myself many times. Sometimes I came out of it in better shape, other times, in worse shape.

The one tiny thing I want to stick in your ear is this... when they have looked at the difference between successful folks and the rest of us at retirement age, they have found the one unique thing that successful folks have is that don't give up... I know it sounds really simplistic, but I try and remind myself of it often. If you get 500 rejections to do what you want to do, you need to get to the 501st application.

Lastly, as a fellow member of the television trenches... I do remember well my return to retail when I was suddenly between jobs once and found myself back behind a department store cash register a few months after having had my own nice desk at CBS Channel Two and thoughts of a promotion there even... and following that the first few weeks of saying "Will that be on your A&S Charge" really bit the big one... but then I thought, eh, I'm here, I'll just be the best A&S sales person there is... and I sold like all Hell and won a ribbon for best sales on the First Floor and it made me feel good and then a few months later I was back at CBS again... so you just don't know for sure... but the main thing is that you can't stop fighting and you can't give up.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #34
TheRoadForeman
Banned

This is one of the best threads on this site IMO! Why? Even though it started out as misfortune for Joe, in the end it did work out for him and his family. Less pay and possibly worse hours aside, it should still help with the bills. Whether or not we agree with each other in our postings and threads, the fact of the matter is, the loyal posters here will support each other in times of need. I can say this on a personal note, I will do whatever I have to to help a friend.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #35
Joe the Photog

Thanks again, guys, for all the kind words. I hope I didn't sound ungrateful. I am very thankful for this job, sore legs and aching muscles and everything. I tend to be a bit pessimistic and that sometimes comes off as seemingly ungrateful. I'm not. There are still some avenues I'm exploring. Even in this economy, there are still photog jobs out there in TV, though fewer and far between. And, of course, there are other ways to be a photog other than TV.

Joe