Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #676
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Making Helen Keller squint..

Loyd L.
And Kevin's FAV is the other bookend.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #677
RobJor

There is always the comment about guard rail photography. Of course the bees do it, the birds do it, we all do it but this kinda takes it to the next level??? Have to admit he has that CN mining thing down.

Image © Todd M.
PhotoID: 649048
Photograph © Todd M.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #678
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
There is always the comment about guard rail photography. Of course the bees do it, the birds do it, we all do it but this kinda takes it to the next level??? Have to admit he has that CN mining thing down.

Image © Todd M.
Photograph © Todd M.

Bob
OMG, I came here JUST to post about this one...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #679
miningcamper1

Quote:

Image © Todd M.
Photograph © Todd M.

Bob
Oh, it's not really horrible though. How about that nice shot of a field full of litter yesterday?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 AM   #680
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
To me its easy to distinguish between who is posting and linking to other sites, the blown up view count speaks for itself. I dont post my "RR" pics anywhere other than here on RP and rrpicturearchives.net (and neither is linked to each other). Why? Because I am looking to perfect my "RR" photography. Who is better to get opinions, feedback and true view counts from? Social media trolls or railfans? To me, its those who truly appreciate the subject matter, and that would be the railfans. At least when we could see where the views where coming from, we had a gauge and knew how well the railfan community appreciated ours or other's photos. Before the campaigning, if and when our pics hit TOP24 on their own and with no other help from outside of RP, we knew how well it was appreciated. Now we just have to do more digging and process of elimination to determine what us true railfans want to know. So how about it RP??? Will you reinstate the view count link?
I don't look at the "Site Related" thread very often, but Chris K just posted a good explanation of why that feature is gone.

I still like my idea of putting all or most new photos on the front page. The front page hasn't been overhauled in a long time (if ever).

Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #681
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I don't look at the "Site Related" thread very often, but Chris K just posted a good explanation of why that feature is gone.

I still like my idea of putting all or most new photos on the front page. The front page hasn't been overhauled in a long time (if ever).
I decided why wait for an answer in this thread so I made a new one in the "Site releated ..." section. Yes I was surprised to get such a quick response (less than an hour) Chris's response was informative but I agree with you and other suggestions that hopefully there is a another solution to obtain the info we seek.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #682
RobJor

Quote:
I decided why wait for an answer in this thread so I made a new one in the "Site releated ..." section. Yes I was surprised to get such a quick response (less than an hour) Chris's response was informative but I agree with you and other suggestions that hopefully there is a another solution to obtain the info we seek.
Where is this exactly.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #683
KevinM

Quote:
Where is this exactly.
Bob,

Check out Chris Kilroy's latest post in the Site Related Forum, in the thread called "Linking and the Front Page." Chris addressed the question about changing the format of the home page (it will not be changing) and the issue of folks linking their way to To24 spots (which just recently changed).

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #684
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Where is this exactly.
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=18058

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=18059

Nice to see the response we are getting from admin
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #685
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Bob,

Check out Chris Kilroy's latest post in the Site Related Forum, in the thread called "Linking and the Front Page." Chris addressed the question about changing the format of the home page (it will not be changing) and the issue of folks linking their way to To24 spots (which just recently changed).
Does anyone know what changed? His post, while interesting, was vague and I'm curious as to what was modified or changed.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #686
RobJor

Quote:
Thanks! It is good to see response. As an etc, on my computer I don't log into the forums automatically and when I looked for site related, it does not show up on the list when I am not logged in. I just thought I was ??? or something that I did not see.

Thanks again, Bob
Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #687
chris crook

Quote:

Image © Todd M.
Photograph © Todd M.

Bob
What is the opposite of cross-eyed? Because that is what my eyes do when I look at that picture. Most of these type pictures don't bother me, maybe it is the curve of the road.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #688
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook View Post
What is the opposite of cross-eyed? Because that is what my eyes do when I look at that picture. Most of these type pictures don't bother me, maybe it is the curve of the road.
I really like that composition, especially with the contrasting curves of the tracks and the bridge.

I like curving roadways/bridges in foregrounds, too:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 293439
Photograph © Jim Thias

(bridge isn't curving, but still a similar composition)
Amtrak P371-350 - St Joe - Burns Harbor

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM   #689
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Bob,

I couldn't find the exact quote that applies here, but it was something like: "stand still too long and moss might grow on you".

Last edited by miningcamper1; Yesterday at 04:14 AM. Reason: revision
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #690
RobJor

Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias

This a pleasing well executed composition, the inclusion of bridge structure, guard rail and background makes the photo. Something I will keep in mind to try when the opportunity is there.

The one I mentioned has a guard rail with dirty out of focus road junk on the top. It coveys the "impression" of jumping out of the car at the last minute, this is all I got, it don't git no better**. For me, no value added but as was noted for another, lots of views.

Bob

** Loose paraphrase of a June Carter lead-in into a song, I smile every time I hear it.
Old Today, 03:09 AM   #691
JimThias

Quote:
Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias

This a pleasing well executed composition, the inclusion of bridge structure, guard rail and background makes the photo. Something I will keep in mind to try when the opportunity is there.
Thanks. I wasn't a big fan at the moment I took it, but it grew on me. I was more or less trying to include my friends in the shot, and it ended up working out better than I had planned, especially with the downtown area of Lansing being visible.

[quote)
The one I mentioned has a guard rail with dirty out of focus road junk on the top. [/quote]
Aka "texture"

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote