Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Mark Gayman

Question Reject for Bad Cropping/Compostion/Balance

Does any one have a suggestion as to how I could recrop this shot so as to have the photo accepted?

Current rejection: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=762431&key=0

Prior rejection: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=215541131

The left edge of the current rejection is the limit of the image frame. I would like to include the crew member, if at all possible. There is more image to the right of the crew member.

---------------------

Last edited by Mark Gayman; 12-20-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed HTML in signature
Mark Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
WembYard

Needs some off the top and bottom, the sides need to be kept fairly tight. One point is that the composition issues in the first rejection may be referring to the space between the crew member and loco - I presume that you don't have one with the two subjects closer together.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Mark Gayman

Actually, I do have other shots taken from the same position that show the entire trip of the crew member from getting off the loco to getting back on. If a tighter shot would a better candidate, I'll submit another one from this series.

---------------------
Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
N. Herring

The thing that really draws me away from the picture is the transmission line coming out of the rear of the locomotive do you have any pics with the pole away from the locomotive, that might be your best bet.
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard View Post
Needs some off the top and bottom, the sides need to be kept fairly tight. One point is that the composition issues in the first rejection may be referring to the space between the crew member and loco - I presume that you don't have one with the two subjects closer together.
The second attempt comes off looking very centered. However, the first looks fine by me and I obviously see and agree with your intention of including the crew member. I do not think the distance between man and machine is an issue, after all, he's not posing next to it.

Not a fan of the pole, though that was not noted in the rejection.

I'd appeal the first one, if you are attached to it. I think you just ran into a (the) screener with an affinity for rejecting images for bad crop. Lately, I seem to be running into him as well after years of relatively effortless submissions. Wouldn't it be interesting to know if it's always the same screener? It's a shame such rejections are not explained in better detail, when it's not obvious, though I imaging there are too many images that may apply.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

High Sun?

I'd be inclined to wonder if the photographer could have scooted over to his right some which would seem to put man andmachine closer to one another in a more asthetically pleasing way.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
JimThias

I think a better composition would have been accomplished by taking a few steps to the left, moving that pole to beyond the back of the loco, and zooming out a touch to include more of the mountain scene in the background. A more broadside shot would have put less emphasis on the half-lit nose, as well. I know it's not part of the rejection, but that pole is a killer. I'm surprised they didn't ding it for bad angle.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
DWHonan

There are also three obvious headlight ghosts in this shot:
  • Above the ground man's head
  • In the middle of the grey coal hopper
  • On the rail below the third wheel to the left of the ground man
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Mark Gayman

I appealed the current rejection, but that was denied. Setting that photo aside for a while, I submitted a later shot in the series that eliminates the trans line pole and is more broadside on the engine (and it includes the crew member, but less visibly.) It was rejected for PEQ:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=763127&key=0

Can an appeal for a PEQ rejection have any likelyhood of being accepted?

Disregarding the PEQ rejection, would the weed that obscures part of the snow plow be viewed as clutter?

---------------------
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gayman View Post
Disregarding the PEQ rejection, would the weed that obscures part of the snow plow be viewed as clutter?
For a basic roster shot like this, yes. Since widecabs are so numerous, a roster shot should be almost perfect.

- Chris
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
JRMDC

To me, the PEQ is saying "what in the heck are you doing, going out to glorious mountain territory and taking roster shots?"

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
WembYard

Agree with Chris, also the crew member in his high-viz jacket just behind the loco doesn't help. It is a good idea to include him in the photo, but he needs to be doing something to give some context; like your original shot, but ideally closer to the loco.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #13
Mgoldman

I've seen it on more then one occasion where one screener's PEQ is another's SC, so sure, if you feel strongly about a photo, you should appeal it. ON THE OTHER HAND, you should take a good hard second look at the image or do exactly what you have done here and get further opinions first. Maybe you see the attempt and not the result. Or maybe a majority of the audience has an issue with something you do not (a pole, graffiti, cutting off a train, ect).

As for that specific image - I'd ask what you should be asking yourself - "What is it about this picture that I like?" I'm curious. Had I taken it, I would have said maybe "I like it but I wish the door wasn't open" or "I wish I waited till the railroader was either out of the scene or in the scene in a way that enhanced the image". As was mentioned, roster shots must be, err, should be, top notch, defect free to get into RP. So, is there a feature of the photo that sets it apart from so many that is not visible to the screener or forum audience? Is this the type of photo that you would like to have represent your vision and efforts? Or, I might ask, are you a fan of cab doors? ; )

Keep at it, ask questions, live and learn!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #14
Mark Gayman

What I like about the original photo (not the broadside), and others in its series, is the illustration of the size disparity between man and machine, as well as the interdependency between the two. I'll admit, the broadside doesn't show enough of the crew member to make the viewer compare the two.

---------------------