Default any help for these two?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=231872
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=231870
Devil 505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I don't think an appeal is going to do much for you here.

Your best bet is to go back and try that shot again when the sun is at a better angle. What direction are you facing, and what time of day did you shoot the photo?

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Ween

In general, the lighting looks decent, but the noses of the lead units are somewhat shaded...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
csx_fan

I've been to this location a few times. This spot is best photographed around mid-day with winter lighting. It's now April and the sun angle is very different. Time to pack this spot away until next winter.
csx_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

The biggest thing that stands out to me is both photos are grainy or fuzzy. Something just doesn't look right about 'em.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
ccaranna

The second one is blurry and the train isn't centered in the frame for my taste, but the first rejection is nitpicking and questionable. There's enough interest in the scene to make the somewhat dark nose on the leader acceptable.

Chuck
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Crusader

Devil -
I like the first shot alot. What the screeners see, however, is that the sun isn't on the nose (a giveaway is the front ends of the containers). Around here, side-lit often equals back-lit.

The second shot seems a li'l soft.

Unfortunate this location will hafta wait till next winter...it's a beauty.
But I sympathize.. I can't tell ya the number of times I've had either great light but no train, or vice versa.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
busyEMT

This would be one of the locations that "scenery" would overcome any lighting problem. Think fall colors!

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
ccaranna

Upon further research and review, I found these here...

Image © Dave Carney
PhotoID: 118790
Photograph © Dave Carney

Image © Dave Carney
PhotoID: 123720
Photograph © Dave Carney

Image © Dave Carney
PhotoID: 118792
Photograph © Dave Carney

...which are all more superior than the rejected photos, and perhaps the screener took this into consideration. My guess is maybe there doesn't need to be potentially dozens of average photos taken from the exact same spot in the database. Not sure if that's what the actual deal is, but it's just my thought...
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default Nice shot just needs some TLC

1st shot: See rest of my post.
2nd shot: Because of the lens you were using the sides of the photo became distorted which is were the blurry reject came from. When I shot this (se below) I was using a .45X wide angle lens and got the same effect (see the corners of the photo).

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 106183
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
I don't think an appeal is going to do much for you here.
I agree there is nothing you can say in an appeal to get them in.

Quote:
Your best bet is to go back and try that shot again when the sun is at a better angle.
The sun is at a perfectly fine angle for this shot, but, because it is more from the side (there is light on the nose!) the shot became underexposed. Only the right side of the nose of the lead unit is dark. I don't feel like this is an issue here because it is not a "head-on" shot. The scenery in your photo definitely makes up for the little tiny bit of dark nose visible. I would try to lighten the entire photo which is a tad on the dark side and resubmit saying what you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
In general, the lighting looks decent, but the noses of the lead units are somewhat shaded...
Only half the nose is lit, but its allowed because this isn't a head on angle of the engines. Your angle is more of a side angle rather than a 3/4 angle or nose shot. The dirt on the left side of the front makes it seem shadowed while it is in light which can be taken care of by lightening it and increasing contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
The second one is blurry and the train isn't centered in the frame for my taste.
Putting the subject (train in this case) in the center, whether its meant horizontally or vertically, is frowned upon because it makes the photo less interesting and nothing "stands out". The only time putting it in the center is "acceptable" is when taking a roster shot.

My advice is to re-crop and lighten the first photo and put in the "comments to screener" section what you did. I think its too still early to let it slide.Good luck. Hope this helped!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Upon further research and review, I found these here...

[Photos are seen two posts above]

...which are all more superior than the rejected photos, and perhaps the screener took this into consideration. My guess is maybe there doesn't need to be potentially dozens of average photos taken from the exact same spot in the database. Not sure if that's what the actual deal is, but it's just my thought...
How is it average? Every photo has a story. It is wise to try to think of something interesting to put in the "Remarks" area. Some hints on the 1st photo would be:

1) Mention the second unit.
2) Comment on how its like CSX is advertising itself along the ex-CR River Line (notice the CSX Intermodal containers on the first dozen cars or so).
3) The view of the BMB is better with no leaves on the trees.
4) The building in the background are probably only visible when there aren't leaves on the trees.
5) Reflections are always cool.

I've found if you can explain WHY you took the photo the way you did it has a much better chance to make it when the sun's not directly at your back.

P.S. Of course side lit shots are backlit! Thats why the photographer(s) didn't shoot the nose (or full nose). You shouldn't put the camera away just because you can't get a 3/4 wedgie which people seem to want. Find unique situations and new angles at all times of the day. Not everyone can get a "glint" shots; people do live in the Northeast!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszcyzk (2)
Of course side lit shots are backlit! Thats why the photographer(s) didn't shoot the nose (or full nose).
Not always. I know of several locations where one can get good nose AND side light at the same time. In some instances, a side shot just works out better.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
ccaranna

Quote:
How is it average?
Sorry about that, I meant to say that the rejected photos were average in comparison to the ones already in the database. If I were the photographer, I wouldn't sweat the rejections, and would let them go.

When I first viewed the rejections, I thought one of them was kind of unfair, but honestly, how many shots does there need to be from the same place? The train wasn't anything special in the rejected pictures.

Now before I get jumped all over, YES- there are oodles and oodles of well-lit vanilla looking 3/4 wedges here of common power, but the key is they are well-lit. The light on the rejections here were not.

I apologize for changing my mind, but after I did some research and found those images at the same location, by the same photographer, I changed my tune!

Chuck
Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

Honestly I feel that rejecting a photo because of a lack of nose light is petty IF the photo :

1. has any scenic value or interesting/"different" composition wherer things work out.

2. This is the MUST in my mind.... the angle can't rely on the nose at all. If there's a little dark nose it's ok but if it is pretty much a nose shot then it should definately be rejected.

Obviously the other standards should be kept in mind too- the image must not crooked, composition has to be acceptable and image quality (sharpness/blurriness and exposure) must be superb as well. Some of the screeners are more accepting than others, however. As summer draws nearer and nearer for me especially, there is much less nose light on north/south lines and any nose light is not as pronounced. The first shot looks like the backlighting is no big deal and the rest of the photo makes up for it, however, the second has some issues that will keep it out of the DB for sure.

-Greg
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #15
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Believe me, there have been plenty of shots with little or no noselight accepted on this site. And I'm not just talking about coming out of the sun "glint" shots.

There is a startling lack of consistency in what gets accepted/rejected on this site at times.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote