Old 11-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
ns3010

Default Need Photo Help (Poor Image Quality)

Hi all. I'm new here, and have a question.
I've submitted several photos, and all were rejected. Finally, I had one shot, that I was sure would make it, but was rejected for Poor Image Quality.
If I could just get some opinions, that would be great.
Here is the rejected shot:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=633739703

Thanks in advance,

Joe
ns3010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

They're doing you a disservice not going ahead and rejecting it for foreground clutter. There's not a thing you can do to "fix" that. As far as PIQ, what kind of camera are you using and how are you processing it?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quality isn't the the greatest, but definitely not the worst I've seen. I'm actually really surprised this wasn't nabbed for foreground clutter and cloudy day.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
ns3010

Actually, I never thought about the foreground clutter, but that is all part of the shot.
I originally took this for the Trains Magazine photo contest, "Bridging the Gap." This is why the bridge plate (the black box in the lower right) is in the shot. It is there intentionally, not because it just got in the way.

For this shot, I used a Canon PowerShot A2000 IS.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
coborn35

As much as I appreciate the thought of the bridge plate, the fence just cuts off too much. However if you were to somehow gain elevation I would be interested in seeing what you could accomplish...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
ns3010

Unfortunately, the fence is in the way.
The fence could have been avoided by standing on the westbound platform, but the shot would have been backlit.
Also, due to the placement of the bridge plate on the other platform, including it in the shot would have been close to, if not impossible, which would void the reason for the photo.

Again, thanks for all your help
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3010 View Post
Unfortunately, the fence is in the way.
The fence could have been avoided by standing on the westbound platform, but the shot would have been backlit.
Also, due to the placement of the bridge plate on the other platform, including it in the shot would have been close to, if not impossible, which would void the reason for the photo.

Again, thanks for all your help
Bring a ladder.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Actually, I never thought about the foreground clutter, but that is all part of the shot.
I originally took this for the Trains Magazine photo contest, "Bridging the Gap." This is why the bridge plate (the black box in the lower right) is in the shot. It is there intentionally, not because it just got in the way.

For this shot, I used a Canon PowerShot A2000 IS.

Thanks for your help!
Can you explain what this bridge plate is? And how does this "bridge the gap" (metaphorically speaking, of course)?

Next time you're at this station, walk down to the end of the platform and shoot beyond that fence. Unfortunately, no matter how high you get, that thing is going to be a shot-killer.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 11-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
ns3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Can you explain what this bridge plate is? And how does this "bridge the gap" (metaphorically speaking, of course)?
Actually, it literally bridges the gap.
I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Watch the Gap," referring to the space between the train and the platform.
The bridge plate is laid on the ground, eliminating this gap. It helps handicapped people when boarding the train, since they would normally get stuck in the gap.

Normally, I would have gone to the end of the platform to avoid that fence and all other obstructions.
In addition, if it were an eastbound, it would have been on the track closest to me, and the fence would not be a problem. But of course, that would be too easy
Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Quote:
I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Watch the Gap," referring to the space between the train and the platform.
The bridge plate is laid on the ground, eliminating this gap. It helps handicapped people when boarding the train, since they would normally get stuck in the gap.
If you are going to tell a story, you need the elements of the story in there. You do not have a bridge plate in the shot. You have a fairly small part of a generic metal cabinet in the corner of your shot - or maybe it is a small part of the actual bridge plate, but it sure looks like just a metal cabinet. There is nothing in there that says "bridge plate" in any way, much less expressing the idea of a gap or a bridging of one.

J, whose "bridge the gap" thoughts never got past the conceptual stage

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

I now get it too, and realize that I wasn't understanding.

It would be cool to get a shot of that device in use, at an open door.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
ns3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
If you are going to tell a story, you need the elements of the story in there. You do not have a bridge plate in the shot. You have a fairly small part of a generic metal cabinet in the corner of your shot - or maybe it is a small part of the actual bridge plate, but it sure looks like just a metal cabinet. There is nothing in there that says "bridge plate" in any way, much less expressing the idea of a gap or a bridging of one.

J, whose "bridge the gap" thoughts never got past the conceptual stage
It is marked "Bridge Plate," although it is not legible in the photo. I have other shots where the text is legible, but were rejected for PEQ, which is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
It would be cool to get a shot of that device in use, at an open door.
As much as I wish I could, they are rarely used, and you just have to get lucky.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. And no, I've never heard the phrase "watch the gap." I'm fairly new to railroading terms, so there is much I'm not aware of it. When I read "bridge plate," all I could think of is a builder's plate on a bridge and I couldn't get my brain past that. I was wondering why this plate from a bridge would be at a train station.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Jim,

It's an East Coast thing mostly, I think (although maybe it's said anywhere that there are high level platforms).

In the UK they say "Mind the gap," and you can even get tee-shirts and coffee mugs with "Mind the gap," written on them.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
ns3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Jim,

It's an East Coast thing mostly, I think (although maybe it's said anywhere that there are high level platforms).
Charles
Correct, because high level platforms are more common in the east. All of NJ Transit's new or rebuilt stations have high level platforms to reduce dwell times. Although all the equipment is capable of being used, and is used, at low level stations, high level platforms are more preferable in a commuter railroad setting.

On the trains, they have the automated "When getting off the train, please watch the gap" announcement that is played while approaching stations with high platforms.
But sometimes, the computers confuse themselves, and this announcements play at low level stations (this happens more often then you would think)