Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
ns3010

Wink Couldn't they tell me the first time?

Before I go ahead, I just want to mention the disclaimer that I am not disagreeing with the rejection, nor am I trying to gain any sympathy. That said,

I uploaded this shot and got rejected for horizon unlevel:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...96&key=6782534

Not a problem. I corrected it and resubmitted it, and then was rejected for undersharpening and composition:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...72&key=2892106

Again, whatever. Nothing I'm freaking out about. I'm just curious about why they couldn't have listed undersharpening and composition with the first rejection, rather than having me correct the original problem, just to get shut down again. Not that I wasted more than ten seconds of my life by fixing the leveling, but wouldn't it make sense to just list all the problems in the first place?

Maybe it's just me? hahahaha

-Joe
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

It's a very common complaint. I guess it's too much to ask for someone to click more than one check box.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

That is a common issue I hope they will better address one day.

I've noticed that angel seems to get a decent number of rejects.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
JimThias

Different screener the second time?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Bob Pickering

It happens....but look at it this way. A screener is essentially a volunteer who has little time to do what he or she needs to do. If they took a lot of time to respond to each rejection with a detailed description the screening process would become a very slow process.

When I get a RJ I of course look to fix the obvious one but they I try to look over the shot for any others that may be apparent that were not noted. Sometimes I do not always catch them.

Also when you are dealing with different people (screeners) you will get different opinions it is just natural human nature. It goes both ways as well one screener may reject a photo another may approve it. They are also human as well someone may have clicked the wrong box initially.

I would also love better descriptions on rejections but I also understand when they are screening a bunch of photos they do not just have the time to do that.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pickering View Post
It happens....but look at it this way. A screener is essentially a volunteer who has little time to do what he or she needs to do. If they took a lot of time to respond to each rejection with a detailed description the screening process would become a very slow process.

When I get a RJ I of course look to fix the obvious one but they I try to look over the shot for any others that may be apparent that were not noted. Sometimes I do not always catch them.

Also when you are dealing with different people (screeners) you will get different opinions it is just natural human nature. It goes both ways as well one screener may reject a photo another may approve it. They are also human as well someone may have clicked the wrong box initially.

I would also love better descriptions on rejections but I also understand when they are screening a bunch of photos they do not just have the time to do that.
The flip side to that is that if they took MORE time the first time, they would have a lot less repeat submissions/rejections. I mean we are talking a second or 2 per photo to check another box...
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
coborn35

Quote:

They should not be a screener if they cannot handle the job. Railpictures is a company so those excuses dont fly.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Railpictures is a company so those excuses dont fly.
Well since I pay nothing for 'services' rendered, I receive my moneys' worth I guess..

Loyd L. - Still wishing we had some of the cool things that jetphotos has..

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
The flip side to that is that if they took MORE time the first time, they would have a lot less repeat submissions/rejections. I mean we are talking a second or 2 per photo to check another box...
Perhaps and sometimes I get RJ's with a few categories checked but I can also understand that it is their website and if I choose to upload here then I have to abide by the way they do things. We all would love to get great detailed rejections and suggestions but if a screener is pushing through 40-50 plus pictures I can also understand the speedy approach to get things are done.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
sd9

Quote:
Perhaps and sometimes I get RJ's with a few categories checked but I can also understand that it is their website and if I choose to upload here then I have to abide by the way they do things. We all would love to get great detailed rejections and suggestions but if a screener is pushing through 40-50 plus pictures I can also understand the speedy approach to get things are done.
So in other words, if a screener has a lot of pics to go through reject them as fast as you can?
It's always fun to go to the queue when you have a pic in there and when they start screening them keep hitting refresh, it's amazing how quick they can screen 50 pics...just saying
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
They should not be a screener if they cannot handle the job. Railpictures is a company so those excuses dont fly.
Yeah, and screeners are volunteers. Do you really think you would do your job perfectly (is that even possible?) if you were a volunteer, viewing dull train pictures day after day after day...

Geezuz, some people take this hobby WAY too seriously.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
some people take this hobby WAY too seriously.
Shirley you can't be serious
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
It's always fun to go to the queue when you have a pic in there and when they start screening them keep hitting refresh, it's amazing how quick they can screen 50 pics...just saying
I would venture that there's more than a handful of photos submitted that are quite easy to reject quickly..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-20-2012 at 03:27 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
coborn35

Quote:
Yeah, and screeners are volunteers. Do you really think you would do your job perfectly (is that even possible?) if you were a volunteer, viewing dull train pictures day after day after day...

Half of the screeners are employees Jim. Yes I do think I would try. This issue is not about being perfect, not even close. It is about writing a sentence or taking 1/2 second to click an additional box. If you are just viewing dull train pictures and you don't enjoy it then stop doing it. I'm sure there are plenty of potential candidates to choose from. Bottom line, if you are doing something, volunteer or not, dont do it half ass. Not saying the screeners are, but there are some convincing arguments.

P.S. This sentence right here took me under 10 seconds to type.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
If you are just viewing dull train pictures and you don't enjoy it then stop doing it.
Wow, that's quite a leap. First you criticize them for not doing their job and now you claim they don't enjoy it.

Why don't you just start your own site and do everything the way YOU want it?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
coborn35

Quote:
Wow, that's quite a leap. First you criticize them for not doing their job and now you claim they don't enjoy it.

Why don't you just start your own site and do everything the way YOU want it?
I am kinda baffled here... YOU said
Quote:
Do you really think you would do your job perfectly (is that even possible?) if you were a volunteer, viewing dull train pictures day after day after day...
So don't try to come after me when I merely addressed something you said. I never claimed anything...did someone pee in your cheerios today? I merely stated IF they don't enjoy viewing
Quote:
dull train pictures
then maybe they should not be screening. I never said any of them were doing anything I mentioned and I certainly never mentioned they were not doing their jobs.
Bottom line- They might be volunteers but you know what? There are alot of volunteers out there. Should volunteer firefighters not try to be perfect? Should they say ahh we are just volunteers so who cares? Railpictures makes money for its owners and whether you like it or not Railpictures is the de facto website for railroad photography on this earth. It is widely successful and the owners should be very proud. Railpictures is bigger than some website some guys created to do whatever they want with. People need to accept that fact. I was merely one of the MANY advocating for slight tweaks in the screening process to improve the system and most likely railroad photography as a whole.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
WMHeilman

The RP argument never ends. Like JT said:

Quote:
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
The RP argument never ends. Like JT said:
I don't know about others but I take my time seriously and don't like wasting my time but it is a website thats more or less free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Bottom line- They might be volunteers but you know what? There are alot of volunteers out there. Should volunteer firefighters not try to be perfect? Should they say ahh we are just volunteers so who cares?
Yea, comparing volunteer firefighters to RP screeners, that's a valid comparison...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Yea, comparing volunteer firefighters to RP screeners, that's a valid comparison...
It is the principle Max is referring to, not the actual comparison of the two. They are volunteers for a reason (whether firefighter or RP screener), because they have a passion for what they do. If you have a passion for something you strive to do the best job you can.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
I merely stated IF they don't enjoy viewing then maybe they should not be screening.
Why are you suggesting they don't enjoy viewing dull pictures? Why are you making that leap? Why do you GAF what they screeners do?

Again, some people take this hobby WAY too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
I don't know about others but I take my time seriously and don't like wasting my time but it is a website thats more or less free.
Yeah, it is free, and no one here is owed anything from RP or vice versa. It's 100% free will to post here. There is NO reason why anyone needs to bitch and moan about what the screeners do or don't do.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-22-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
coborn35

Oh im sorry Jim, wasnt aware it was your right to tell me what I am allowed to think about! Silly me! Guess im taking the hobby WAY to seriously! I better go tell all those guys in Model Railroader to chill out because hey! Your not supposed to care about your hobby!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Oh im sorry Jim, wasnt aware it was your right to tell me what I am allowed to think about! Silly me! Guess im taking the hobby WAY to seriously!
Well, I'm glad to see you finally came to that realization.

Quote:
I better go tell all those guys in Model Railroader to chill out because hey! Your not supposed to care about your hobby!
And this has what to do with you crying about the RP screeners?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #24
coborn35

Oh Jim, your a funny guy. You are a Michigander though, I guess thats a given
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Oh Jim, your a funny guy. You are a Michigander though, I guess thats a given
You should move here, you'd be funny too.