Old 05-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
fullreversal

Send a message via AIM to fullreversal Send a message via Yahoo to fullreversal
Default Digital SLR body with non AF lenses?

I've been eyeing a Nikon D50 for awhile now, and while I'm still a student, saving any bit of money is a big plus. I currently have a Nikon FG with a 24mm Nikkor lens, and a 70?-210mm Vivitar zoom lens.

Both of these lenses are manual focus.

Since they fit my FG, could they fit on the D50, and what modes could I shoot with them in?

Thanks much,
dk
Auburn, AL
fullreversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

You could use these lenses on manual focus mode, and you could only use, as far as I know, Manual and Apeture Priority modes.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Pat Lorenz

Well i shoot Nikon F100 film bodies and all my lenses except one are Tokina MF lenses. To shoot it i turn my camera to manual and shoot everything in either Manual or shutter priority mode. Shooting with manual lenses also means that you wont get a F Stop digital display on your camera, you will have to rely on the apeature ring on the lense. I know for a fact that Apeature and programed will not work, well they will but the camera cannot pick up the F stop properly. So use Manual or Shutter.

I prefer my camera set in all manual modes. I have had a hard time with the pre programed modes goofing the shot. That another reason why i have manual lenses, the ditch lights always screw me on the AF.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 AM   #4
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I've had the same problem with ditch lights in dim or dark conditions, so I discovered the manual mode as well. If you don't have to have brand new you might find a good deal on a new body through a camera broker that takes trade ins. The D-50 Has been out long enough they may have a few in or be able to find you one.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I agree with Pat on this one, I shoot in full manual all the time, if I have to worry about a shot screwing up, I'd rather be able to put the blame on myself than the camera.

Regarding the focus, I don't necessarily trust the AF sensors on the camera anyways, occasionally if it's a "gimme" shot or one of those last second "grab shots" then I'll use the AF, but that's pretty much it.

The great thing about digital is that you get instant feedback, so you can make proper adjustments before the train arrives, something that was never possible in the film world.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Chris Starnes
Administrator

I agree with Sean on this one as well. With a few rare exceptions, I shoot all of my train and plane stuff fully manual. I like being able to control what I'll be shooting rather than having the camera (20D) do the thinking for me.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

I shoot in full manual all the time, but I need the lens on AF because of mysometimes less than stellar vision. The only time I tend to shoot on MF is on night time shots when the subject is not moving or I have enough time to focus before the train comes, esp. in low ligt condistions.

If I shot in MF all the time, I'd have about two shots on RP.

Joe
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

That kind of makes me think about something I read in a book I was reading a few nights ago about all the pains photographers like Ansel Adams had to go through to get the right level of things. It's amazing when you think about his work like "Moon Over Half Dome" where the moon is only in that exact position with the same like something like once every 50 years I was reading somewhere a while back!