Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
baggydave

Default Welcome home

After a few weeks away it is lovely to return to things that are familiar, no longer are you staying in a motel, or even worse, someone's home. Back to the welcoming arms of a loved one OR back to the wife at the door with a rolling pin wanting to know what took you so long. Could one of these scenarios be flickr and the other RP?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...72&key=2637003
I like it any way. Nothing like this in the UK. Why they even have a statue of George Washington right by the Trump building!!
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
JRMDC

Cool stuff. I have not idea what to recommend because I want to see more darker areas, more contrast, and basically what they have told you is that you haven't used the shadows tool enough! Nice shot, love the squiggly reflections.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
loomus78

I'm with J, I'd like to see the front end darker. I think RP would be missing the boat on this one. Nice job!
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
KevinM

I personally don't think the rejection is deserved. If anything, the nose needs to be darkened a bit to reflect the shadows that were really there. You did a great job brightening it, but you should not have had to over-do it to get it accepted. It's a neat shot that was well-seen and well-captured. The building reflection is something you don't see every day. Certainly, it has more appeal than a lot of bland wedges that get accepted every day.

Why do all of those bland wedges get accepted and this one gets the boot?

"sigh"

A bit of an editorial.....Dave, I think that somewhere along the line, you have raised the ire of one or more screeners, and now, your stuff gets more scrutiny that it probably should. This is one reason why I always advise newcomers to tread carefully and don't beat dead horses (meaning submitting the same image over and over in an effort to get it in). Too many rejections and too many appeals can forever jade the impression that your work makes and just make life more difficult than it should be. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix that. As they say, you never get second chance to make a first impression.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Why do all of those bland wedges get accepted and this one gets the boot?
Because...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookie_cutters.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	9172  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #6
Noct Foamer

I've shot that one several times, most recently with a Nikon F3T and b&w film. On the other side of the platform you can get a shot of an outbound Pink Line and the Willis Tower in the background.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

How about something like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4538.1464082215.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	788.6 KB
ID:	9173  
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
baggydave

Kevin
I welcome your comments and I do believe that I have aroused the ire in a screener. I know when it happened as well. 7 years ago when I joined. I explained this last year in a post somewhere. I duly apologised and asked for forgiveness and nothing happened. When I was given back my right to appeal last year I have only used it once, successfully I might add. I really don't see why a grudge has to last so long. I don't overload the system with pictures. I have only just over 400 in all these years. I only submit a picture if I think it is worth viewing the same as I do on flickr where I have twice as many. To me , if there is a grudge, and it does seem as if there is, then it lowers the tone of the site. It certainly doesn't make me look bad , I can't say for others. I like what John did with it and I also had a play in black and white which also looked good. The fact of the matter is that it has no light on the nose and I will be damned if I submit again. Glad that you all saw it. Many thanks everyone, time to move on. I haven't got that many years left to worry over this.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Kevin
I welcome your comments and I do believe that I have aroused the ire in a screener. I know when it happened as well. 7 years ago when I joined. I explained this last year in a post somewhere. I duly apologised and asked for forgiveness and nothing happened. When I was given back my right to appeal last year I have only used it once, successfully I might add. I really don't see why a grudge has to last so long. I don't overload the system with pictures. I have only just over 400 in all these years. I only submit a picture if I think it is worth viewing the same as I do on flickr where I have twice as many. To me , if there is a grudge, and it does seem as if there is, then it lowers the tone of the site. It certainly doesn't make me look bad , I can't say for others. I like what John did with it and I also had a play in black and white which also looked good. The fact of the matter is that it has no light on the nose and I will be damned if I submit again. Glad that you all saw it. Many thanks everyone, time to move on. I haven't got that many years left to worry over this.
The grudge theory is possible, but I think the bigger issue is your pix tend to be just a bit different. RP does not deal with "different" very well. Their standard is a well lit 3/4 front view roster shot of a modern mainline locomotive, preferably U.S. built. They happily accept other stuff as well, but once you vary from the standard the bar starts shooting up and becomes more subject to the personal biases of the screener. I don't think the problem with the image was backlit, I think it was that big uninteresting bridge beam that detracted from an otherwise very interesting and creative scene. Plus it was transit not "regular" railroading.
Just enough for the screener to say no.

But if we don't see you here at least there is always Flickr!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
The grudge theory is possible, but I think the bigger issue is your pix tend to be just a bit different. RP does not deal with "different" very well. Their standard is a well lit 3/4 front view roster shot of a modern mainline locomotive, preferably U.S. built.

I find that more plausible. Ironic in that it was the British style pioneered by Eric Treacy that sort of "standardized" the wedgie in the late 1930s.

Kent in SD
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #11
baggydave

I am not going stop trying nor am I going to start taking wedgies. I will still be submitting but not appealing..
Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
Noct Foamer

Quote:
I am not going stop trying nor am I going to start taking wedgies. I will still be submitting but not appealing..

Your best bet might be to petition to have me made a screener. I like your shots. However, I'd much rather be out taking my own shots than looking at hundreds from others, many of which will be coming from whiners.

Kent in SD
Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
How about something like this.
Best I know, Clinton Station is on Blue Line(Forest Park Line) near UIC(Circle when I went there), near West Side, while Trump is on N. Michigan Avenue.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...016_s_full.pdf

The original has a lot of bridge girder foreground, L structure is neat but that not so much. John's crop helps that?
I know you wanted the full arc in the reflection but there is a trade-off.

I think you anticipated a problem since you un-shadowed the nose, been there, as I am sure many others, I often don't agree, I don't like it, but it is what ........ and not sure it is personal

As a little detail the pink line(Douglas Branch) sign has white stripes which is why the 54 - Cermak is barely visible, Green and Orange line are better. I know you may not get back but just a little trivia that puzzled me at first. I like the signs visible and something I struggle with at night and wondered why I could read some and not the pink line.

So not saying it should be rejected as the reflection should carry it but some points I thought of.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Best I know, Clinton Station is on Blue Line(Forest Park Line) near UIC(Circle when I went there), near West Side, while Trump is on N. Michigan Avenue.
Shot was taken on the Pink Line platform, the first stop after leaving the Loop, and is directly adjacent to the Ogilvie Metra station. From that same side of the platform you can shoot down into the Metra yard. The Blue Line is underground at this point, and there is no direct transfer at this stop.

Kent in SD
Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Shot was taken on the Pink Line platform, the first stop after leaving the Loop, and is directly adjacent to the Ogilvie Metra station. From that same side of the platform you can shoot down into the Metra yard. The Blue Line is underground at this point, and there is no direct transfer at this stop.

Kent in SD

Sorry he mentioned Trump tower, my mistake. I was there, should have know better. Thanks for correction.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 575633
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
baggydave

I liked John's crop, the screener didn't
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=6662720
As for Chicago I was only there one day being shown round by a Roman Catholic priest who was my next door neighbour for 7 years and a great fellow. I was a bit stupid as he took me to Union station and I saw a lovely picture of an Amtrak service leaving a station dominated by skyscrapers. I asked a couple of people where I could go to take that picture and no-one knew. Eventually I asked an Amtrak representative. "Show me the picture you have seen" he said. We walked along the concourse, "There" I pointed out. "Seattle" was his reply!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
RobJor

Quote:
As for Chicago I was only there one day being shown round by a Roman Catholic priest who was my next door neighbour for 7 years and a great fellow. I was a bit stupid as he took me to Union station and I saw a lovely picture of an Amtrak service leaving a station dominated by skyscrapers. I asked a couple of people where I could go to take that picture and no-one knew. Eventually I asked an Amtrak representative. "Show me the picture you have seen" he said. We walked along the concourse, "There" I pointed out. "Seattle" was his reply!!
Yes, I think your second should really be in.
The only thing I would say is sometimes it pays to let the rejection que clear out so they don't see the old rejection. I have about 10 accepted that were total rejections and I waited a month or so. Of course the nose is still shadowed? If I get down there I will try it later in day as the sun will move round to the west. At sunset now it actually will go too far to the other side.

Bob
Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Shows you how much I know. But speaking of Seattle here is my version of Amtrak with skyline but on the wrong end of the station. Since the lighting was so bad I figured it was a good candidate of Flickr.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATKseabuilderskyline950v.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	9175